Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Watch a Toyota Highlander ram a house, twice

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-13, 02:39 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Watch a Toyota Highlander ram a house, twice

Watch a Toyota Highlander ram a house, twice

Toyota has had plenty of problems in recent years due to claims of unintended acceleration, and now here's a video that actually catches such a claim on video. The driver of this 2010-2013 Toyota Highlander claims that the crossover's accelerator got stuck causing the vehicle to slam into the house twice, and resulting in damage to the Highlander, the house and two vehicles inside the garage. While we don't know when this accident took place, the video was uploaded to YouTube back in January.

It is impossible to determine what actually happened in this video, but what we do know is that a security camera captures the Highlander slowly pulling into the driveway before it lunges forward slamming into the garage. With the tires squealing and metal crunching, the driver then shifts between reverse and drive a couple times causing even more property damage before spinning out in the street and finally being able to shift into Park

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/04/15/w...a-house-twice/
Old 04-15-13, 03:08 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

... the driver then shifts between reverse and drive a couple times causing even more property damage before spinning out in the street and finally being able to shift into Park
Sounds fishy.

Like driver error fishy.

If I hit something, I would Park it. Why shift between Reverse and Drive after an accident?
Old 04-15-13, 04:31 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Sounds fishy.

Like driver error fishy.

If I hit something, I would Park it. Why shift between Reverse and Drive after an accident?
so you can hit it one more time? :-)
Old 04-15-13, 04:34 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

p.s. doesnt this highlander have smart/stop system? if he hit brakes, ecu would make engine idle... if we look at the brake lights when he is hitting the house, they are not activated at all... they activate only at very end when he "parks". Clearly he hit gas instead of brakes, and kept pushing gas until the end.
Old 04-15-13, 04:57 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Brakes require one to actually press the brake pedal... crazy concept.
Old 04-15-13, 05:46 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pbm317
Brakes require one to actually press the brake pedal... crazy concept.
it would take great presence of mind to actually hit R and then D again... hitting P or N is MUCH easier, you dont have to aim, just go all the way up.
Old 04-15-13, 06:10 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Calling BS, too obvious its a scam, these people should be ashamed of themselves.
Old 04-15-13, 06:41 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 564 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
it would take great presence of mind to actually hit R and then D again... hitting P or N is MUCH easier, you dont have to aim, just go all the way up.
2013 Highlander has the zig zag shifter so I could see how it'd be difficult for the driver to get to P considering gas pedal/brake pedal is too difficult as it is
Old 04-15-13, 08:38 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
2013 Highlander has the zig zag shifter so I could see how it'd be difficult for the driver to get to P considering gas pedal/brake pedal is too difficult as it is
what? lol

Shifters are shifters, zig zag or not. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know how to move a shifter up down left and right. They operated the vehicle up to this point just fine. scam.
Old 04-15-13, 09:13 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

I hope its not a scam. He would be the dumbest person on earth. Why would he crash his car into someones house he knows? Damage not just his own car, but an acquaintances house and 2 cars? Im going with driver error... just like most of the other unintended incidents.

Nice spinout on to the curb at the end though.
Old 04-15-13, 09:25 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Mr. Toyoda is personally going to show up and send them to pounding in the *** prison for insurance fraud.
Old 04-15-13, 09:37 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
I hope its not a scam. He would be the dumbest person on earth. Why would he crash his car into someones house he knows? Damage not just his own car, but an acquaintances house and 2 cars? Im going with driver error... just like most of the other unintended incidents.

Nice spinout on to the curb at the end though.
The scam is the fact that they (the teenage girl driver and her parents) tried to claim that it was caused by unintended acceleration and Toyota should cover the damages. Considering the video clearly shows she never once hit the brakes, it was obviously panic driving and confusing the accelerator with the gas. They also claimed two cars in the garage were damaged of which one was totaled. How could you total another car when she only went about one foot into the garage? I don't know about most of you but you'd have to go a good 3 or 4 feet into my garage to hit my car. You know, something about actually wanting to get stuff out of the trunk when I pull in. Total scammers.
Old 04-15-13, 10:45 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,682 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Nope never hit the brakes. Pure attempted fraud, some people should not have a drivers license for as long as they live.
Old 04-16-13, 12:45 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

2 words...

DRIVER

ERROR

Old 04-16-13, 07:30 AM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Nope

Insurance fraud or simply stupidity. I see NO brake lights on the entire footage!

Last edited by 5gears-IS; 04-16-13 at 07:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Watch a Toyota Highlander ram a house, twice