Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford Focus was best-selling nameplate in 2012

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-13, 01:51 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

actually, it is just wrong numbers, lol. Toyota sold 1.16m Corolla's by name in 2012.

The Japanese manufacturer’s numbers included the Corolla sedan, which makes up some 90% of the figure, as well as the volume of cars sold in other Corolla-branded cars like the Wagon and Rumion, while leaving out Corolla derivatives like the Auris, Matrix and Scion xB.

Read more: http://www.foxbusiness.com/news/2013...#ixzz2Q60EyZHK
Old 04-10-13, 01:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
The Auris is actually sold as a Corolla in some countries, while being called an Auris in other markets. At the end of the day it's still a Corolla.
The Auris and Corolla, from what I understand, though, are not the same (or rebadged) car. The Auris is what was what was sold here, in the U.S., with a hybrid powertrain, as the now-discontinued Lexus HS250.

Same thing with the Scion xB, it's a Corolla Rumion in other markets and a Toyota Rukus in some markets as well.
Thanks...I didn't know that.

Additionally Toyota counts the Matrix as part of Corolla sales.
Not surprising. Underneath the body/interior, they're pretty much the same car, especially in FWD form. And, of course, outside the U.S., the Corolla All-Trac is available with the AWD Matrix running-gear.
Old 04-10-13, 01:59 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Auris and Corolla are the same cars... just like Focus H/B and Focus Sedan are same cars.

And here are the Toyota numbers. Toyota Corolla Sedan alone outsold Focus Hatcback, Sedan and Wagon.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...omment-2034026
Old 04-10-13, 03:28 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Toyota again claims Corolla outsold Focus worldwide

Toyota again claims Corolla outsold Focus worldwide

Toyota isn't convinced the Ford Focus was the best-selling nameplate globally last year. Bloomberg reports that for the second time in seven months, both Toyota and Ford are laying claim to the title. Ford cites R.L. Polk & Co. data that says the automaker moved some 1.02 million Focus models in 2012 compared to just 872,774 Toyota Corolla units. But Toyota says the actual figure is closer to 1.16 million Corolla models.

Last year, Ford said it took the sales crown through the fist half of 2012 based on information from IHS Automotive, but Toyota pointed out those numbers left out models like the Corolla-based Matrix and Auris, as well as the Corolla Fielder and Scion xB-based Corolla Rumion. Whether or not Toyota's belief that all these cars should be counted in the Corolla bucket is accurate or not is seemingly up for debate... as is the question of why it matters so much to both parties.

This time around, Ford is holding the line that the Focus is the "best-selling nameplate," with Erich Merkle, a US sales analyst with Ford saying the company's figure is, "a pure number that is verified by a third party." Toyota, meanwhile, has requested clarification from Polk.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/04/10/t...cus-worldwide/
Old 04-10-13, 06:15 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Auris and Corolla, from what I understand, though, are not the same (or rebadged) car. The Auris is what was what was sold here, in the U.S., with a hybrid powertrain, as the now-discontinued Lexus HS250.
Slightly incorrect, as spywolf points out. Auris is basically the same as a Corolla, just a slight variant of it.

The HS250 actually uses the Avensis platform, and has a double wishbone rear suspension, so it's quite different than the Corolla platform.

Thanks...I didn't know that.
No problem .

Not surprising. Underneath the body/interior, they're pretty much the same car, especially in FWD form. And, of course, outside the U.S., the Corolla All-Trac is available with the AWD Matrix running-gear.
Exactly. Very sad then that Ford is trying to boast about such misleading statistics.
Old 04-10-13, 11:41 PM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Exactly. Very sad then that Ford is trying to boast about such misleading statistics.
FORD? Lying about hard numbers? OMG DEM R LIEZ! Theyd NEVR do such a thing!!
Old 04-11-13, 09:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

The HS250 actually uses the Avensis platform, .
You're correct...I confused the Avensis wuith the Auris. The Avensis was the car I meant when I mentioned the HS250.

(might be time now for me to start having two cups of coffee in the morning instead of one)