Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Volvo Introduces New Diesel Technology; Calls V8 a ‘Dinosaur’

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-13, 08:27 AM
LexFather

Post Volvo Introduces New Diesel Technology; Calls V8 a ‘Dinosaur’

http://www.enginelabs.com/news/volvo...-v8-a-dinosaur

Calling V8 engines “dinosaurs,” Volvo today announced an advanced diesel technology that helps provide more precise fuel metering, which should improve power and fuel economy for the company’s new VEA family of engines.

“We will create smaller, more intelligent engines with so much power that they will turn V8s into dinosaurs. Our 4-cylinder engines will offer higher performance than today’s 6-cylinder units and lower fuel consumption than the current 4-cylinder generation,” boasts Derek Crabb, Volvo’s powertrain engineering boss.

Designated as i-ART, the new technology monitors pressure feedback from each fuel injector, instead of using the more traditional single pressure sensor in the engine’s common-rail system.

“Each injector has a small computer on top, which monitors injection pressure. Using this information, the self-adapting i-ART system makes sure that the ideal amount of fuel is injected during each combustion cycle,” says Crabb. “Increasing the rail pressure to an exceptionally high 2,500 Bar (36,260 psi), while adding the i-ART technology, can be described as the second step in the diesel revolution. It is a breakthrough comparable to when we invented the groundbreaking lambda sensor for the catalytic converter in 1976. It’s another world-first for Volvo.”

The one drawback to electronically controlling fuel injection in diesel engines is the lack of knowledge of what’s actually happening inside the combustion chamber. With a gas engine, the O2 sensor located in the exhaust header or downpipe lets the engine-management computer immediately know the air-fuel ratio from each combustion event. Combined with information from other sensors, such as manifold pressure, throttle position and inlet air temperature, the computer can make real-time adjustments for optimum performance.

With a diesel, air-fuel ratio varies so much that it’s hardly a factor in determining fuel delivery. A more informative factor would be the actual cylinder pressure at the crank angle, but that technology would be very expensive. The i-ART technology does provide a little more information to the ECU, which should help optimize combustion.

Old 04-09-13, 09:05 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

corvette owners are lol'ing.
Old 04-09-13, 09:50 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They will have to pry my I6 from my cold dead hands
Old 04-09-13, 09:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

“We will create smaller, more intelligent engines with so much power that they will turn V8s into dinosaurs. Our 4-cylinder engines will offer higher performance than today’s 6-cylinder units and lower fuel consumption than the current 4-cylinder generation,” boasts Derek Crabb, Volvo’s powertrain engineering boss.
With ever-tightening CAFE/emissions regs, I agree that most conventional non-modified V8s, as we know them today, will probably end up as relics. But some V8s may continue on with features like cylinder deactivation (already found on some Chrysler Hemis), non-gasoline or ethanol/E85 fuels, more-efficient hybrid systems, and perhaps other economy-features that have not been invented or produced yet.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-09-13 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-09-13, 10:29 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There will always be a market for V8s. It will get smaller and smaller, however. It's going to become more of a niche motor. If they are able to develop a TTV6 that pumps out a supposed 420hp like the one Caddy has in store, I don't mind. CAFE will only get tougher, oil reserves will only get smaller, and fuel prices will only go up.
Old 04-09-13, 10:36 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 50/50 on this one.

I do praise and applaud Volvo in their effort to further enhance and improve their diesel engines (hey, their D5 engines are superb and that D6 Plug-in Diesel Hybrid for the V60 wagon is something epic and I wish I could personally drive and own one)

HOWEVER

I still feel that big displacement and engines with eight or more cylinders shouldn't be called as 'dinosaurs'. In some cases and in more extreme vehicles, there is no replacement for a displacement and cylinder count (i.e. does the Veyron only have four cylinders? No, it has SIXTEEN). The Corvette and new SRT Viper use naturally-aspirated V8 and V10 engines, respectively. Hence, why I disagree with labeling V8 engines and another engine with eight cylinders or more as "DINOSAURS".

Still, the reason comes from the notion in that Volvo stopped using the Yamaha V8 engine in the XC90 and S80. Pretty soon, like it or not, Volvo themselves stated that they will be phasing out their six-cylinder and five-cylinder engines in the next few years and as such, Volvo will only be having four cylinder engines at most in the near future...........
Old 04-09-13, 10:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by T0ked
If they are able to develop a TTV6 that pumps out a supposed 420hp like the one Caddy has in store,
Don't be surprised if we see that in the next (C8) Corvette. The next Shelby line of Mustangs is also rumored to be getting TTV6's.
Old 04-09-13, 11:51 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
I'm 50/50 on this one.

I do praise and applaud Volvo in their effort to further enhance and improve their diesel engines (hey, their D5 engines are superb and that D6 Plug-in Diesel Hybrid for the V60 wagon is something epic and I wish I could personally drive and own one)

HOWEVER

I still feel that big displacement and engines with eight or more cylinders shouldn't be called as 'dinosaurs'. In some cases and in more extreme vehicles, there is no replacement for a displacement and cylinder count (i.e. does the Veyron only have four cylinders? No, it has SIXTEEN). The Corvette and new SRT Viper use naturally-aspirated V8 and V10 engines, respectively. Hence, why I disagree with labeling V8 engines and another engine with eight cylinders or more as "DINOSAURS".

Still, the reason comes from the notion in that Volvo stopped using the Yamaha V8 engine in the XC90 and S80. Pretty soon, like it or not, Volvo themselves stated that they will be phasing out their six-cylinder and five-cylinder engines in the next few years and as such, Volvo will only be having four cylinder engines at most in the near future...........
do they actually develop their own engines anymore? (Volvo?)
Old 04-09-13, 12:26 PM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does Geely even make a V8 engine?
Old 04-09-13, 12:31 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I actually really liked the 4.4L V8 from Yamaha, Volvo used in the XC90 and S80. Sounded great as do most Yamaha tuned engines (LFA anyone?!), though it was a bit midpack in fuel economy. That unit put out 311hp and 325lbft
Old 04-09-13, 06:17 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

The V8 is not a dinosaur at all, you can't replace the sound, performance, and character of a V8 with a 4 cylinder but the V8 is sadly becoming extinct as a option on lower to mid priced cars because of overbearing gov regulations. If it was not for these regulations Volvo would still most likely offer a V8 and would be promoting it. The Yamaha V8 offered in the Volvo's was never integrated all that well or sold in high numbers.

The only V8's that are dinosaurs are heavy ones that get really bad mileage, have high emissions, and that don't offer much more power then V6's and there are very few of them left. Even the OHV engine in the new Corvette is very impressive, more so then many new 4 cylinders and V6's.

Go drive a Ferrari 458, McLaren MP4-12C, M3, new A8/S8, new M5, new Corvette, RS5, and try to say V8's are dinosaurs or a new high tech 4 cylinder or diesel can provide the same level or performance and experience.

Last edited by UDel; 04-09-13 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-09-13, 06:22 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by UDel
The V8 is not a dinosaur at all, you can't replace the sound, performance, and character of a V8 with a 4 cylinder but the V8 is sadly becoming extinct as a option on lower to mid priced cars because of overbearing gov regulations. If it was not for these regulations Volvo would still most likely offer a V8 and would be promoting it. The Yamaha V8 offered in the Volvo's was never integrated all that well or sold in high numbers.

The only V8's that are dinosaurs are heavy ones that get really bad mileage, have high emissions, and that don't offer much more power then V6's and there are very few of them left. Even the OHV engine in the new Corvette is very impressive, more so then many new 4 cylinders and V6's.

Go drive a Ferrari 458, McLaren MC4, M3, new A8/S8, new M5, new Corvette, RS5, and try to say V8's are dinosaurs or a new high tech 4 cylinder or diesel can provide the same level or performance and experience.
McLaren MP4-12C*
Old 04-09-13, 10:12 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

According to BMW, you can just record the engine in a lab and then pump it in via your speakers...

All kidding aside, while I also love the sound of a V8, a TT-V6 pumping out 420hp sounds pretty sweet to me, too.
Old 04-09-13, 10:36 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by T0ked
According to BMW, you can just record the engine in a lab and then pump it in via your speakers...

All kidding aside, while I also love the sound of a V8, a TT-V6 pumping out 420hp sounds pretty sweet to me, too.
How un pure and a slap in the face to any auto enthusiast. BMW should be ashamed of themselves
Old 04-10-13, 05:34 PM
LexFather

I think the V-8 may go away from non high performance luxury cars, Benz is dropping it from the E class unless you get an AMG and Porsche replaced the S model with a V-6 but the Turbo has it.

Maybe Cadillac was way ahead of its time offering a V-6 only until the V-8 CTS-V and no regular V-8 model. I don't think anyone will argue with a TT V-6 that makes the same power as a V-8.

Quick Reply: Volvo Introduces New Diesel Technology; Calls V8 a ‘Dinosaur’