Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Left Lane News- 10 worst vehicles you can buy

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-13, 11:50 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It may not be sports-car fun in the sense of being agile and responsive, but some cars are pleasant to sit in and drive drive simply by having nice interiors and quietness/refinement on the road. The Cruze is one of them......which, IMO, makes it pleasant to drive, if not fun by your definition.
THANK YOU!!!!!!

That's what I love about my old 1992 SC300(its an original survivor with 66k miles). Like most every Lexus model, it tracks straight down the interstate, there is no slop in the steering, it rides nice, the interior is beautifully crafted, the handling is very balanced and feels very secure. Granted its not a sports car, but I'd say the new Chevy Cruze exhibits those same sort of qualities that American drivers adore.

For the Cruze, I must say I'd rather have the Cruze Eco than the next size up Malibu. I've sat in both of them and found the Cruze to be nicer inside, the back seat about the same size, the trunk slightly smaller in the Cruze, but man the MPG and refinement you get in a Cruze Eco for about 20-23k is damn hard to beat, provided you like having a clutch pedal.
Old 04-12-13, 11:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
THANK YOU!!!!!!
Anytime.

Granted its not a sports car, but I'd say the new Chevy Cruze exhibits those same sort of qualities that American drivers like.

For the Cruze, I must say I'd rather have the Cruze Eco than the next size up Malibu. I've sat in both of them and found the Cruze to be nicer inside, the back seat about the same size, the trunk slightly smaller in the Cruze, but man the MPG and refinement you get in a Cruze Eco for about 20-23k is damn hard to beat, provided you like having a clutch pedal.[/QUOTE]

If you like the Cruze, check out the Buick Verano. My guess is you'll be even more pleased, though its back seat, like that of the Cruze, is also cramped, and its gas mileage won't equal that of the Cruze Eco. The Verano, though, for a compact-sedan, runs like a magic carpet.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-21-13 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-20-13, 10:00 PM
MX5
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually the Cruze ECO has larger (but lighter) polished alloys, a distinct upgrade from the cheese-turd steelies & hubcaps on the base Cruze. In fact I think the base hubcaps were carried over from the Cobalt. Blechh.

I've read a couple reviews for the Cruze Eco with the manual tranny that said it was actually pretty fun to fling around in corners due to it being 200lbs lighter, lowered suspension with less body roll, less unsprung weight due to smaller wheels/tires, and a great shifting manual tranny
Old 04-20-13, 10:17 PM
MX5
Pole Position

The current model had an optional 2.4 liter motor for 2009-10, but that has been dropped in favor of the old 1.8 1ZZ-FE 132hp standard on all models, with the 4 speed automatic. This is the same powertrain you could get in a 2003 Corolla. Yet your 2003 Corolla felt a lot better built and had the same amount of interior room.
2003?!?
Try 1998!!
I should know, I've had one for many, many years. As long as you have the 1.8L as opposed to the base (back then) 1.6L, and the 4-spd auto over the base 3-spd, and provided you have an uplevel model with swaybars (base versions did not have them), it's actually a very decent driver. I live off some very twisty roads and dare I say.....it's almost fun to whip around, and no lack of power. It will squeal the tires taking off (again this is the "big block" LOL). Of course the main appeal with these cars is They Will Not Die. Then again mine has fairly low miles (104k), but it's so utterly reliable it may just end up my kids car - and my oldest kid is 9 now
Attached Thumbnails Left Lane News- 10 worst vehicles you can buy-p1000110-2.jpg  

Last edited by MX5; 04-20-13 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-21-13, 05:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The 10 Worst New Cars

Mitsubishi Outlander.
Chrysler 200 Convertible.
Acura ILX.
Jeep Compass.
Toyota Corolla.
Lincoln Navigator.
Volkswagen Jetta S
Smart ForTwo.
Chevrolet Colorado/GMC Canyon.
Mitsubishi i-MiEV.

Out of the original list at the start of the thread which would you guys consider the worst of the ten?

For typical American roads, I'd pick the Smart-for-Two, though the i-MiEV comes close.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-21-13 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-21-13, 05:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MX5

2003?!?

Try 1998!!

I should know, I've had one for many, many years.
That image you posted of the Mini and Corolla is of excellent quality. You either have a good camera, a good computer, or good computer-skills...probably all three.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-21-13 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-21-13, 07:51 PM
MX5
Pole Position

That image you posted of the Mini and Corolla is of excellent quality. You either have a good camera, a good computer, or good computer-skills...probably all three.
Wow thanks

It was not any kind of "composed" shot, just a quick pic when I tried some spare Miata wheels on it....now that you mention it, it does seem better than a phone pic, so probably was taken with my fairly new Panasonic Lumix.
Old 04-21-13, 08:41 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

The 10 Worst New Cars

Mitsubishi Outlander.
Chrysler 200 Convertible.
Acura ILX.
Jeep Compass.
Toyota Corolla.
Lincoln Navigator.
Volkswagen Jetta S
Smart ForTwo.
Chevrolet Colorado/GMC Canyon.
Mitsubishi i-MiEV.

Out of the original list at the start of the thread which would you guys consider the worst of the ten?

For typical American roads, I'd pick the Smart-for-Two, though the i-MiEV comes close.
Colorado/Canyon Twins + the Isuzu I-Series are just terrible. The 2nd generation can't come soon enough in Fall 2013
Old 04-21-13, 08:54 PM
MX5
Pole Position

Tossup between the base Jetta and the Compass. As a former Cherokee Sport and Cherokee Chief owner, and current Z-71 Suburban owner, I am disgusted by the Compass. But I'm equally disgusted with VW for trotting back out that weak, ancient 2.OL in order to build the newer base Jettas to a price rather than to a standard. And I don't love the 2.5L five, either. Love the TDi and the 2.0T, though.
Old 04-21-13, 09:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Colorado/Canyon Twins + the Isuzu I-Series are just terrible. The 2nd generation can't come soon enough in Fall 2013
Yes, those trucks are Crapola by modern-pickup standards (though I generally don't use terms like that for modern vehicles). Still, even with their admitted cheapness and flimsy build-quality, they are a lot better suited for American roads than the Smart-for-Two. And, three other things about the Smart-for-Two that the original article didn't pick up. First, despite its tiny engine, it uses premium gas. Second, Penske-imported versions had an insultingly short 2/24 warranty on everything....including the drivetrain. Third, the automated-manual transmission, on low-speed shifting, make the car buck forward and back like a rocking chair (no, I'm not kidding). It is, arguably, the worst transmission currently in the American market.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-21-13 at 09:23 PM.
Old 04-21-13, 09:17 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Yes, those trucks are Crapola by modern-pickup standards (though I generally don't use terms like that for modern vehicles). Still, even with their admitted cheapness and flimsy build-quality, they are a lot better suited for American roads than the Smart-for-Two. And, three other things about the Smart-for-Two that the original article didn't pick up. First, despite its tiny engine, it uses premium gas. Second, Penske-imported versions had an insultingly short 2/24 warranty on everything....including the drivetrain. Third, the automated-manual transmission, on low-speed shifting, make the car buck forward and back like a rocking chair (no, I'm not kidding).
My dealer just took one in on trade and I took it out for a spin. Agree with everything you said, especially the clunky automated-manual transmission
Old 04-22-13, 10:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
My dealer just took one in on trade and I took it out for a spin.
With the Scion iQ now giving it good competition (and, IMO, with the iQ being a better all-around car), my guess is that used Smarts aren't worth very much. Add to that, of course, the fact that, with Scion's policy of no-haggle deals, the iQ buying experience is probably more user-friendly.