Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

J.D. Power says drivers increasingly frustrated by low-rolling resistance and runflat

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-13, 06:18 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default J.D. Power says drivers increasingly frustrated by low-rolling resistance and runflat

J.D. Power says drivers increasingly frustrated by low-rolling resistance and run-flat tires

Unless we're talking about tires used for specific conditions (snow, summer, off-road, etc.), we imagine most new car buyers don't think twice about the rubber on their ride. J.D. Power and Associates does, and it recently rated consumer satisfaction for the top tire brands in various vehicle segments, and it found that Michelin was consistently at or among the top-satisfying tire brands. As a part of this study, it also found some interesting data regarding two growing types of tires: run-flat and low-rolling resistance.

Both of these tire types are used in different ways in an attempt to improve the fuel economy of modern vehicles, but there are also some draw backs involved. Run-flat tires help automakers shave precious pounds from a car's curb weight by removing the spare tire, but on average, J.D. Power says owners replace these tires twice as often as regular tires. The problem with low-rolling resistance tires might have to do more with marketing than anything else, as the study suggests that most consumers just don't understand how these tires benefit them and what compromises must be made.

The study didn't mention price, but generally speaking, run-flat and low-rolling resistance tires also cost more to replace than standard tires – even worse, run-flats often need to be replaced in pairs, according to the study (note: we recommend changing all four tires whenever possible, run-flat or no).

J.D. Power and Associates Reports: Automakers Turn to Tires to Help Reach CAFE Standards for Fuel Efficiency, Despite Customer Concerns with Run-Flat and Low-Rolling Resistance Tires
Michelin Ranks Highest in Three Vehicle Segments; Pirelli Ranks Highest in One

WESTLAKE VILLAGE, Calif., March 28, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Satisfaction is declining among customers whose vehicles are equipped with run-flat or low-rolling resistance tires as part of automakers' efforts to improve fuel efficiency, according to the J.D. Power and Associates 2013 U.S. Original Equipment Tire Customer Satisfaction Study,SM released today.

As automakers explore all options to meet the Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) standards, they are increasingly looking at the effect of tires on fuel consumption. Two key tire-related actions automakers are taking to improve fuel efficiency are equipping vehicles with run-flat tires in lieu of a spare tire and using low-rolling resistance tires. While potentially improving fuel efficiency, both products are falling short of customer expectations in terms of satisfaction with their tires.

Run-flat tires are primarily being used on luxury and performance sports vehicles. In both instances, overall satisfaction with tires is lower when vehicles are equipped with run-flat tires, compared with when they are equipped with standard tires.

Overall satisfaction among owners of luxury vehicles with run-flat tires is 728 (on a 1,000-point scale), compared with 739 among those who own luxury vehicles with standard tires. The gap is even more pronounced among owners of performance sports vehicles, among whom overall satisfaction is 665 with run-flat tires vs. 732 with standard tires.

Part of the gap in satisfaction is due to the necessity of having to replace run-flat tires more frequently, compared with standard tires. Nearly one-third (31%) of customers whose vehicle is equipped with run-flat tires have had to replace at least one tire, compared with just 19 percent of those whose vehicle is equipped with standard tires. In addition, customers with vehicles equipped with standard tires replace their tires after an average of 22,559 miles, more than 6,000 miles beyond the average life of run-flat tires.

"Automakers are trying to reach the next level of fuel economy, and are looking to their suppliers-in this case, tire manufacturers-to help them get there," said Brent Gruber, director, global automotive division at J.D. Power and Associates. "The challenge is doing this while finding tires that meet customers' expectations. Run-flat tires are not currently meeting those expectations."

Customers with vehicles equipped with run-flat tires are nearly twice as likely as those with vehicles equipped with standard tires to have to replace a tire due to a flat or blowout. Run-flat tires cannot be repaired and often need to be replaced in pairs rather than as a single tire.

"Owners of performance sports cars with run-flat tires say they 'definitely will' recommend their tire brand to friends and family only half as often as those whose car is equipped with standard tires (14% vs. 28%, respectively)," said Gruber. "That has a potentially tremendous financial impact on tire manufacturers."

Consumer Insights and Social Media Research

The study also finds that customers often express apprehension regarding low-rolling resistance tires. Research conducted by J.D. Power's Consumer Insights and Strategy Group to track social media activity surrounding these tires finds that many consumers are concerned that equipping low-rolling resistance tires on their vehicle means compromising traction and durability in exchange for better gas mileage. Additionally, these consumers perceive that automakers select the best type of tires for their vehicle and, thus, they are apprehensive about straying too far from the original selection. While consumers ultimately conclude that low-rolling resistance tires may improve fuel efficiency, they are confused and concerned regarding the associated sacrifices.

"While the marketing of low-rolling resistance tires has primarily focused on fuel efficiency, tire manufacturers may also benefit from advertisements that help educate consumers about the traction and dependability of the tires," said Gruber. "Consumers don't fully understand the benefit of low-rolling resistant tires. They believe they are forfeiting important aspects of tire performance by opting for low-rolling resistant tires, yet don't know how much improvement in fuel efficiency they should expect in return."

Overall Satisfaction and Quality

The study measures tire owner satisfaction in four vehicle segments: luxury, passenger car, performance sport and truck/utility. Satisfaction is examined in four factors: tire wearability; tire appearance; tire traction/handling; and tire ride. Rankings are based on owner experiences with their tires after 2 years of vehicle ownership.

Overall satisfaction with original equipment tires is 686, unchanged from 2012. Satisfaction increases in three of the factors, while tire ride satisfaction decreases by six index points year over year. Overall satisfaction is highest in the luxury segment, with an average score of 738, followed by the performance sports segment at 728 and the passenger car and truck/utility segments tied at 676.

For a fourth consecutive year, customers are experiencing fewer problems with their tires. On average, customers report 74 problems per 100 (PP100) vehicles, an improvement from 76 PP100 in 2012 and 84 PP100 in 2011. The most frequently reported problems are road hazard/punctures, slow leaks, excessive road noise and fast tread wear. Overall satisfaction is 135 points lower among customers who experience a specific tire problem than among those who do not experience any problems (748 vs. 613, respectively).

KEY FINDINGS

In 2013, customers report fewer problems with their original equipment tires for the fourth consecutive year.
Customers with run-flat tires are twice as likely to have to replace their tires as are those with standard tires.
Customer satisfaction with their original equipment tires averages 686, unchanged from the 2012 study. Satisfaction is highest (738) in the luxury vehicle segment.

Highest-Ranked Tire Manufacturers

Michelin ranks highest in three of the four segments: luxury (775); passenger car (729); and performance sport (751). Pirelli ranks highest in the truck/utility segment (737).

The 2013 U.S. Original Equipment Tire Customer Satisfaction Study is based on responses from more than 30,835 new-vehicle owners who purchased a 2011 or 2012 model-year vehicle. The study was fielded between October and December 2012.

Customer Satisfaction Index Ranking / J.D. Power.com Power Circle Ratings
Luxury Segment
(Based on a 1,000-point scale)

Michelin 775 / 5
segment avg 738 / 3
Continental 725 / 3
Dunlop 717 / 2
Goodyear 715 / 2
Pirelli 712 / 2
Bridgestone 704 / 2

Passenger Car Segment

Michelin 729 / 5
Pirelli 712 / 4
Goodyear 689 / 4
Firestone 688 / 3
segment avg 676 / 3
Dunlop 662 / 3
Continental 653 / 3
Bridgestone 651 / 2
Hankook 645 / 2
Nexen 641 / 2
Kumho 632 / 2
Yokohama 618 / 2
Toyo 608 / 2

Performance Sport Segment

Michelin 751 / 5
Pirelli 750 / 5
segment avg 728 / 3
Bridgestone 721 / 3
Goodyear 687 / 2
Continental 644 / 2

Truck/Utility Segment

Pirelli 737 / 5
Michelin 735 / 5
Bridgestone 690 / 4
BF Goodrich 682 / 3
segment avg 676 / 3
Goodyear 663 / 2
Dunlop 627 / 2

Power Circle Ratings Legend:
5 – Among the best
4 – Better than most
3 – About average
2 – The rest
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/04/01/j...low-rolling-r/
Old 04-01-13, 07:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

While Michelin, in general, does make great tires (they are generally the company credited with perfecting the steel-belted radial roughly a half-century ago), much of their stellar image is also based on slick marketing-ads (like the ones with the infants) and the hype they get in the auto press. In addition, up until about 20 years ago or so, their wet/snow-traction was not considered particularly good, mainly due to the hard-rubber compounds they used (particularly in the XZX tire) for long tread-life.

The study measures tire owner satisfaction in four vehicle segments: luxury, passenger car, performance sport and truck/utility. Satisfaction is examined in four factors: tire wearability; tire appearance; tire traction/handling; and tire ride. Rankings are based on owner experiences with their tires after 2 years of vehicle ownership.
One other thing that greatly affects ride quality (and something that the article doesn't mention) is the general obsession of the auto industry in using ever-lower profile sidewalls for sharper handling/steering response.....even on vehicles that are not supposed to be sport-oriented. Of course, with run-flats, the sidewall-height/ratio itself is generally not as important as the strength of the materials used in the sidewall itself. The sidewall has to be strong enough, even without any air in it, to support the weight of that entire corner of the vehicle for at least the 50-60 mile range and 50-60 MPH usually claimed by the tire manufacturer.

Originally Posted by Richard
After several years in my garage, I just threw mine out for thee reasons: (1) Last time I had a flat was 40 years ago, (2) There is no way I would put a muddy, filthy wheel that just got flat in my SC, and (3) I attended a funeral of a woman who had a flat, pulled over onto the shoulder and was killed by another car while trying to replace the bad wheel that happened to be on the driver side.

So instead of a spare, I carry a triple-a card and a cell phone. Problem solved. No, I don't carry any repair kits, either.
While I'm certainly sorry for that poor woman's death (may she RIP), simply forgetting the idea of a spare tire altogether isn't necessarily the answer either. Some pervert coming by, disguised as a legitimate tow-truck driver or as roadside-assistance, can ruin one's day just as certain as getting hit by a car. That's what gives run-flat tires even the limited amount of appeal they have now.......if a puncture happens on the road, unless the sidewall is severely damaged, you've got at least an additional 50-60 miles of a safety-margin....and something to fall back on.

Run-flat tires cannot be repaired and often need to be replaced in pairs rather than as a single tire.
On most AWD cars, though the article doesn't mention it, this is also often the case, due to the necessity of all four tires to be roughly the same rolling diameter. Putting just one or two brand-new tires on a center-differential-equipped AWD vehicle, and leaving one or two worn tires on, because of the differences in outside-rolling-diameter, can put continual stress on the center-differential, shortening its life. In fact, some Subarus come with instructions and a special fuse-puller tool to get into the fuse-box and de-activate the AWD when compact or temporary spare-tires are used.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-01-13 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-01-13, 07:49 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

run flats are awful... i am glad toyota got rid of them!
Old 04-01-13, 08:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
run flats are awful... I am glad toyota got rid of them!
They were a major source of customer-complaints on the Sienna minivan. But once again, they were the result of compromises that sometimes needed to be made. On the AWD Sienna models, not having to stow a spare underneath made it easier for the engineers to fit in the AWD hardware. On Dodge/Chrysler minivans, engineers also found it easier to do the Stow-N-Go package (where both the second and third-row seats flip down and fold under the floor with simple lever-pulls) when there was no spare tire underneath to get in the way.
Old 04-01-13, 08:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Richard
Not exactly about tires, but the "pervert" thought was discussed in my household when my daughters started driving. I told them, and the Illinois State Police confirmed it, that a person may request to follow the squad car to the nearest police station when pulled over and refuse getting out of the car when it's dark and there is only one cop on the scene.

I am pretty sure that under some conditions (a woman-driver, stuck at night), calling 911 for assistance first before calling a tow truck would be prudent and the cops wouldn't mind especially if there is a chance of another car hitting the car that is disabled.
OK, if the police are willing to do that, then fine. With their radios, of course, they can call for additional towing-help if needed. GM cars, of course (if you keep your OnStar payments up), also have that system to track and handle roadside emergencies.
Old 04-01-13, 09:06 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Very happy to see the ranking for Michelins since Im about to drop $2000 for a set of tires for my LS
Old 04-02-13, 05:29 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 203 Likes on 155 Posts

I had heard all the *****ing about RFTs, but didn't realize how bad it was until I bought my E90 last year. The stock Contis (with 9k miles when I got it) were the worst tires I've ever driven on. Rock-hard, uncomfortable ride combined with absolutely zero grip, especially in the wet. I actually got fully sideways going around a corner at 10mph.

The very first mod I made to the car was to replace the garbage RFTs with dedicated winter tires, and my summer wheels just came in last week. Pilot Super Sports will go on next week.
Old 04-02-13, 05:36 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not a fan of the can of fix a flat either. Fortunately, one of winter wheels can double as a full sized spare if need be.