Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MT Best and Worst from 2013 NY Show

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-13, 07:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts
Default MT Best and Worst from 2013 NY Show

cliff notes: they love the CTS and Camaro Z28.

Motor Trend staffers have walked every hall of the 2013 New York auto show, comprehensively covering the world debuts — everything from the new Toyota Highlander midsize crossover to the Subaru WRX concept. Though there was plenty of hot sheetmetal for everyone, not every new car impressed us. So what impressed Motor Trend editors who actually walked the 2013 New York auto show floor? Get our thoughts below.
Jonny Lieberman:

Best: This is a best-of-show blog, and the Camaro Z/28 was one of the only cars that didn’t leak out all over the Internet beforehand. Love that. Other OEMs should learn about the power of surprise. The Z/28 also wins because of that engine: It’s simply a boisterous, near-magical lump of anger. And frankly, the fact that Chevrolet ripped out the stereo and (unlike Porsche) speakers, but had to legally leave one in for the seatbelt chime is the single best thing about this year’s New York show.

Worst: Not many bad cars at this year’s New York auto show, but the Mitsubishi Mirage is bad. The Chevrolet Spark showed the world that A-segment cars can have bold personalities. The new, dowdy Mirage is somewhere between a wallflower and a shrinking violet. It reminds me of a 90s Suzuki — not good. Where’s the great-looking nose from the Lancer? Hope those 74 ponies make it drive great!
Scott Evans:

Best: Camaro Z/28. It’s true to the original Z/28 ethos, it’s a serious performance car, it keeps the stupendous LS7 engine alive and, best of all, it was a total surprise. Chevrolet stole the show with this one. Honorable mention to the Cadillac CTS, which would’ve been my winner otherwise. It has so much presence. It’s a great step forward for the model and the brand.
Worst: Kia Soul. I really liked the old Soul, and I don’t envy the designers who had to update it. Unfortunately, they missed the mark. The styling is more odd than endearing and the front and rear don’t match at all. Kia has been on a role lately in the styling department, but this one’s a stumble.
Christian Seabaugh:

Best: The Subaru WRX concept gets my vote for best-in-show. I’m just blown away by how good-looking it is. It’s not only fantastic to look at, but the little details are right on, too, like the newest take on WR Blue (which a source at Subaru tells me will be a factory color), to the fluorescent yellow badges and brake calipers. This thing is killer all around. Honorable mention: 2014 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28. I’m not big on the current-gen Camaro but this thing is SO expletive-ing cool. Chevrolet nailed it with this car, and what a surprise.
Worst: Shelby Ford F-150 SVT Raptor. Picking the Mitsubishi Mirage would be too easy (at least it’s an honest car). The Shelby Raptor is my pick for worst-in-show because of how un-original it is. It doesn’t bring anything new to the table. All Shelby did was bolt on a supercharger and exhaust, and slap on some stickers. The Shelby name used to mean innovation, and while I know the company has been this way for years, it’s just frustrating to see a storied name going through the motions.
Scott Burgess:

Best: The 2014 Mercedes Benz CLA45 AMG: What’s not great about this car? It shows that a 2.0-liter turbocharged engine can produce 355 horsepower. It has a stellar interior that proves luxury and sport can live in the same sheetmetal. And its starting price is below $50,000. Yeah, I want one. I want one bad.
Most impressive in a different kind of way: OK, the Honda Odyssey may just be a minivan, but it’s a really, really nice one and the HondaVac has been a coup for Honda. Everyone seems to want to vaccum up Gummi Bears and M&Ms. Never before have journalists been so enamored with cleaning things up and I’m curious to see if consumers react the same way. I have a feeling they will — day care centers around the country will begin hearing the question: Is that the one with the shop vac?

Least: I’ve always liked the Kia Soul and was glad to see it keep its iconic shape. However, I was disappointed that many of its hard edges were smoothed-out and it increased in size. Bigger is not always better, and taking away the attributes that make the Soul unique means this great little vehicle is becoming Soul-Less.
Mike Shaffer:

Best: Subaru WRX concept. When production-car versions of radical concepts are finally released for the street, they inevitably lose the coolest bits the designers implemented with no restraint. While it’s unclear whether the super-tiny side mirrors, or brightly colored WRX grille badge and tailpipe accents will make it to production, the sheetmetal’s shape won’t stray too far from this design, and that’s the best feature.
Worst: Anything Mansory. Wandering the deep recesses of the convention center basement, my lens cap stayed on walking past the Mansory booth. The few people making their way from the Mitsubishi booth to the Jeep stand rightfully ignored a 458 Italia uglied-up with a faux-Enzo nose and a Panamera we’ve featured online. I wouldn’t pass up the chance to drive them, but I’d have to close my eyes as I approach the driver’s seat.
Jason Udy

Best: GM impressed with the face-lifted 2014 Chevrolet Camaro and the hi-performance Z/28 model as well as the all-new 2014 Cadillac CTS sedan. Of the two, the no-longer-an-in-betweener 2014 Cadillac CTS impressed me more with its grown up looks and new twin-turbo 3.6-liter V-6 and eight-speed automatic transmission in Vsport guise.
Worst: While the Scion tC was due for a mid-cycle update, I expected more overall – as well as different styling – from the 2014 tC. The new front bumper is supposed to evoke the rear-drive FR-S stablemate, but instead the small upper grille makes the front end look more like the Toyota Avalon. Updates to the automatic transmission are always welcome, but a bump in power would be more appreciated.
Frank Markus:

Best: General Motors. I’m ganging the Cadillac CTS and the Camaro Z/28 together for my best-of — the former for making a quantum leap improvement in style and substance to take on the E Class head-on; the latter for being the show’s best-kept secret (none of us saw it coming), and for channeling the magic of the original ’67 (big power, light weight, low production).
Worst: Mitsubishi’s pitifully homely Mirage was the fizzle of the show — a high-fiber, eat-your-oatmeal, bland-but-good-for-you gas mileage champ that will best suit third-shift workers who drive it exclusively in the dark.

http://wot.motortrend.com/mt-picks-b...#axzz2OtRtPkwP
Old 03-28-13, 09:01 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Subaru WRX concept gets lots of praise from me too. Cadillac CTS as well.
Old 03-28-13, 11:07 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Interesting, for the new CTS, Motortrend is positioning the Lexus GS as the car to beat. Both CTS and GS have gone for the lightweight route and emphasizing chassis dynamics :

http://wot.motortrend.com/specs-chec...#axzz2Os4mus84

Lexus GS
After winning the last six-cylinder midsize luxury sedan comparison, the Lexus GS is the bogey to beat. Can the 2014 CTS topple the tantalizingly fun GS 350 from its throne?
One thing is glaringly obvious from this article though, the GS desperately needs a V8/supercharged equivalent to meet the in-betweener models from the Germans/Jaguar and Infiniti head-on. It's V6 offering is stomping the competition and the GS chassis is so good, additional hp won't be amiss.

Last edited by natnut; 03-28-13 at 11:11 PM.
Old 03-28-13, 11:14 PM
Hoovey689

Lexus GS
After winning the last six-cylinder midsize luxury sedan comparison, the Lexus GS is the bogey to beat. Can the 2014 CTS topple the tantalizingly fun GS 350 from its throne?
I can hear it now. The BMW got more luxurious and the GS is too sporty.
Old 03-29-13, 12:44 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the look of the WRX!!
Old 03-29-13, 08:21 AM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i can't wait to go to the show next friday!!!
didn't even know about the Z28, i will have to check that out....
Old 03-29-13, 08:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 96SC4
didn't even know about the Z28, i will have to check that out....
There's also a factory-production Hot-Wheels-package Camaro that was shown off here at D.C. last month.
Old 03-29-13, 08:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Interesting that the Mirage was panned so badly by just about all of the MT journalists there. Years ago, the Mirage was sold here in America as the Dodge/Plymouth Colt, and, despite its diminutive size, most of the auto-press liked it.
Old 03-29-13, 11:47 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I can hear it now. The BMW got more luxurious and the GS is too sporty.
The fact that no german car is mentioned in that sentence speaks volumes.
Old 03-29-13, 11:59 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Interesting that the Mirage was panned so badly by just about all of the MT journalists there. Years ago, the Mirage was sold here in America as the Dodge/Plymouth Colt, and, despite its diminutive size, most of the auto-press liked it.
Again, these are different times and different cars. Ok, so what if a car with the same name was liked nearly 30 years ago?? You need to look at current competitive set and what buyers today are looking for and expecting. The new Mirage falls short.
Old 03-29-13, 12:58 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mrraider
The fact that no german car is mentioned in that sentence speaks volumes.
A major feat by both Japanese and American makes for sure. My point being seemingly anything with a German badge still gets the nod - usually some bs excuse. Even when the aforementioned do it right, the Euro's still win, go figure . Hate the masses hah

If other makes can keep it up, perhaps change is possible

time will tell
Old 03-29-13, 03:07 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I hope they make a WRX that is not to far off from the concept. You can tell its one thats is not far off from the production model. Kudos to Subaru
Old 03-30-13, 12:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
Again, these are different times and different cars. Ok, so what if a car with the same name was liked nearly 30 years ago?? You need to look at current competitive set and what buyers today are looking for and expecting. The new Mirage falls short.
I don't think we can determine that just by the comments in one or two articles, or by one or two images posted here in this thread. I plan to look at it myself (and judge for myself) when it is released locally.....though Mitsubishi, like Suzuki, seems to be running into the dealership-network problem, where you have to drive a ways just to find one.
Old 03-31-13, 09:15 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That Subaru is beautiful.