Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Should Vettel be punished for winning?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-13, 06:53 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
That's simply not true. Webber followed instructions from the pit whereas Vettel did not and for the purposes of this specific issue gave himself an unfair advantage. That's the reason he and the team were pissed at Vettel.
The real question is why is the pit giving instruction "orders" to maintain the course, when it is obvious that they weren't needed. Vettel saw that for what it was and said, scr3w it, I am winning this race, because I can.

The team is pissed because he didn't listen to them or because they coudn't fix the race? or both?
Old 04-01-13, 07:25 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 470 Likes on 295 Posts

Doesn't really matter - team orders aren't illegal in F1. For the team, both cars finishing and placing 1st and 2nd with minimum wear is more important than the individual placings. There is history between these two drivers taking each other out in similar situations in the past. At the time the order to preserve the cars was given, Webber was ahead. If both drivers are being asked to take it easy there's a legitimate and reasonable expectation for the drivers to follow team orders and to maintain position. Vettel's failure to follow the instructions is what got him in trouble. Like it or not, F1 remains a team sport and the teams are more concerned about the team than the individual drivers
Old 04-14-13, 10:05 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Vettel reserves the right to continue disobeying team orders

Vettel reserves the right to continue disobeying team orders

So says he. While speaking with reporters, Sebastian Vettel said he would probably disobey team orders again if those orders included instructions not to challenge his teammate Mark Webber. As you may recollect, Vettel found himself in hot water after he passed Webber at the Malaysian Grand Prix to take the win. Vettel later apologized for his actions, saying, "I messed up." Apparently being sorry only goes so far. When asked if he would do the same again, Vettel said that he probably would and that his actions at the Malaysian GP were a form of indirect payback for a lack of support at past races.

Webber caught flack last season after appearing to obstruct Vettel twice at the Brazilian GP as the German driver fought for a team win against Fernando Alonso.

Moving forward, Red Bull has said it will not implement team orders at the end of a race, and Vettel has not been punished by the team for taking the win. The driver said that he failed to understand the order given during the race over the radio and that he immediately apologized to everyone involved. He also said he would have yielded the position if he had been ordered to do so.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/04/14/v...g-team-orders/