Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Quick Spin: 2013 Mercedes-Benz S65 AMG

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-13, 05:49 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Quick Spin: 2013 Mercedes-Benz S65 AMG

2013 Mercedes-Benz S65 AMG

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2013-...photo-5742517/

Engine: Twin-turbo 6.0L V12
Power: 621 HP / 738 LB-FT
Transmission: 7-Speed Auto
0-60 Time: 4.2 Seconds
Top Speed: 186 MPH (limited)
Drivetrain: Rear-Wheel Drive
Curb Weight: 5,082 LBS
Seating: 2+3
MPG: 12 City / 19 HWY
Base Price: $212,000

Mercedes-Benz sells seven different models of its flagship S-Class sedan in the States. Look past the entry-level S400 Hybrid (base price $93,000) and the standard V8-powered S550 models. The four-door at the pinnacle – squashing the amazing S63 AMG ($140,000) and twelve-cylinder S600 ($160,300) as it steps over them – is the bordering-on-preposterous twin-turbocharged twelve-cylinder S65 AMG seen here.

"Excessive" is an understatement, as the S65 AMG leaves little to want. Tucked up front is a hand-assembled 60-degree 6.0-liter V12, force-fed air by twin blowers to develop 621 horsepower and 738 pound feet of torque. All of the mind-blowing power is sent through a robust five-speed automatic to the rear wheels where it seems utterly unchallenged by the sedan's curb weight of 5,082 pounds – the four-door will bust through the benchmark 60 mph barrier in 4.2 seconds and pull all the way to its electronically limited top speed of 186 mph.

Few will ever have the opportunity to see an S65 AMG in the flesh, let alone spend an hour alone with one, so I leapt on the opportunity. Upgraded from the standard trim, this particular test car was an even scarcer bespoke "Designo" model, with exclusive matte paint, custom shades of soft leather and glossy piano black trim. Pricing, as they say, is available upon request.

Driving Notes
  • Despite its omnipotence, the S65 looks rather low-key and almost indistinguishable from its siblings. Observers will note the "V12 Biturbo" badging on each front quarter panel and the "S65" on the rear decklid. Those with really good eyes will catch the slight difference in the horizontal slats on the S65's front grille (three twin-parallel slats, upgraded from four thick bars). Most all of the other sporty cosmetic enhancements are shared with the S63 AMG.
  • It is impossible to defeat the traction control on the S65 AMG, meaning mile-long burnouts aren't going to happen. While acceleration off the line was dizzying, the real fun happened above 50 mph when the explosive power under the hood spooled to its full potential (it's a treat to watch the traction control light blink at highways speeds). An illegal coast-to-coast run at 150 mph would be joyful and effortless, but I would hate to foot the fuel bill (or pay the fines).
  • Of course, the S65 will never feel as nimble as smaller sedans, but its active suspension was more than competent through every series of curves I tossed it into. There is no getting around two-plus tons of mass, but the aggressive staggered tire package (255/35ZR20 and 275/35ZR20) provided plenty of grip at the limit. The unique twin sliding-caliper brakes fitted over cross-drilled rotors effortlessly bled off the speed with very good pedal feel. It is a very large and comfortable luxury sedan, yet it is still very entertaining to drive - much to my surprise.
  • Those who couldn't care less about the S65's mechanical brilliance will find plenty to soothe their souls inside the cabin, as the opulence of a standard S-Class sedan has been turned up a full revolution on the dial. Supple seat leather is stitched, quilted and perforated (heated and cooled too) and the trim is polished to a mirror-like finish. Passengers in the second row will find leg crossing room, power seats and video entertainment. The cabin smells even better than it looks. I can't wait to see how the next S-Class looks and feels inside.
  • As fabulous as the S65 AMG is, the enthusiast in me still prefers the S63 AMG. Its twin-turbo V8, exhibiting almost no turbo lag, is better suited to our stop-and-go congestion and restrictive speed limits in North America. It is slightly lighter, nearly every bit as luxurious, and it only gives up a tenth of a second in the 60 mph sprint. Plus, I can buy a new C63 AMG with the money I save.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/03/26/2...-benz-s65-amg/
Old 03-26-13, 05:51 PM
Hoovey689

S-Class is my favorite looking full size luxury sedan. I agree with the author though, the S63 AMG is the one to have
Old 03-26-13, 05:58 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There's nothing like that 6L TT V12. My boss has a 2010 S65 and that thing is just a monster. You can have all the fun you want without going over 3000rpm that's how torquey it is. I launched it and the traction light was flashing all the way up to 70mph lol. Truly fantastic car.
Old 03-26-13, 07:18 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Justin2JZ
There's nothing like that 6L TT V12. My boss has a 2010 S65 and that thing is just a monster. You can have all the fun you want without going over 3000rpm that's how torquey it is. I launched it and the traction light was flashing all the way up to 70mph lol. Truly fantastic car.
Yup, as what many drivers and observers have said, all that power starts down below (with its rev limiter starting to kicking in @ 3,000 RPM)

Nevertheless, the S65 AMG is a phenomenal vehicle (no question).

I look forward though to the NEXT S65 AMG (which will use the new M279 engine that is seen in the latest SL65 AMG) along with the 7GTRONIC AMG transmission/gearbox =)
Old 03-26-13, 07:32 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just imagine the bragging rights/ego trip one would have knowing they have a humongous sedan that can smoke smaller sports cars. The fact that you have the absolute highest S class that a standard person can buy is just icing on the cake.

P.S. Hoovey, i never understood why you post articles about reviews/drives then immediately after write another post. Are you the one actually reviewing the vehicles, or are you reposting from another site, and then adding your comments as the first follow up post? Please cure my ignorance.
Old 03-26-13, 07:41 PM
LexFather

^^^ auto blog.. Hoovey is a CL gem!

Love this car!!

Old 03-26-13, 07:43 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

are you serious, i can get an '13 Audi S8 which is quicker and more fuel efficient and recently just beat out the BMW Alpina B7 in MT magazine for half of the price.
Old 03-26-13, 08:04 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by trexlexus
Just imagine the bragging rights/ego trip one would have knowing they have a humongous sedan that can smoke smaller sports cars. The fact that you have the absolute highest S class that a standard person can buy is just icing on the cake.

P.S. Hoovey, i never understood why you post articles about reviews/drives then immediately after write another post. Are you the one actually reviewing the vehicles, or are you reposting from another site, and then adding your comments as the first follow up post? Please cure my ignorance.
I just post them. Once in a blue moon I'll do my own. Considering the 5 dealerships I have access too, I should do more lol.

My comments are a follow up to the first post always, just so I can get a word in before the thread gets bigger and opinionated (typically those threads involving Acura, BMW, GM, Hyundai and Lexus)

Originally Posted by Blueprint
^^^ auto blog.. Hoovey is a CL gem!

Love this car!!
Haha yeah we all have left a mark or a calling card if you will hah
Old 03-26-13, 08:06 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
are you serious, i can get an '13 Audi S8 which is quicker and more fuel efficient and recently just beat out the BMW Alpina B7 in MT magazine for half of the price.
Both have their merits. I won't deny the S8 and it's performance, but the Benz has a certain pedigree and prestige that BMW and Audi can never match
Old 03-26-13, 08:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

all that power is a bit much through only 2 of the 4 wheels, but it is indeed magnificent! i don't care how big its stupid carbon footprint is.
Old 03-26-13, 10:24 PM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

S65 = "I've arrived b******, come see me now!"

Lol. So unnecessary, but so full of want.
Old 03-26-13, 10:40 PM
Harbinger
Lexus Test Driver

All I keep thinking is "Put that beast in the c63 black coupe!"
Old 03-26-13, 11:32 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
all that power is a bit much through only 2 of the 4 wheels, but it is indeed magnificent! i don't care how big its stupid carbon footprint is.
Haha yeah.

But hey, at least it's not front wheel drive. All that torque steer will cause the car to easily run amok....

Nevertheless, it is brilliant. I reckon though that MB and AMG *might* release an S AMG version for the next gen S65 AMG. If that happens, then it will have 4 MATIC all-wheel drive and extra horsepower and torque into that M279 twin-turbo v12 engine.

Indeed, that would be insane. Actually, the entire concept of the S65 AMG means that common sense are thrown out of the window

P.S.
Now that I think about it: I would WANT a V12 BITURBO engine on a Viano
Old 03-27-13, 05:06 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

What a car!!!Fantastic!
I'll miss the wheel fender design that the new '14's S Class lacks.
Old 03-27-13, 12:46 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My client who bought a new S65 last month, he uses it for everything, shopping, cross country trips, and doesn't even care about it gets rock chips! I just saw the car yesterday, poor thing is so dirty and chips in the front already, he really treat it as a beater Rich people...Sigh

Quick Reply: Quick Spin: 2013 Mercedes-Benz S65 AMG