Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai sketches out HND-9 luxury sports coupe concept

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-13, 03:23 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Looks nice, Lexus cues all over from their concepts. Is it just me or that interior console just like the LF-LC, which I wasn't even sure I liked lol
Pretty good looking.
I agree, I see some LF-LC cues in there.

That interior even got that huge swoopy cubicle divider like the LC.
Old 03-28-13, 03:56 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL, LF-LC front + LFA back. I don't get how anyone can support this company...
Old 03-28-13, 04:14 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Looks nice, Lexus cues all over from their concepts. Is it just me or that interior console just like the LF-LC, which I wasn't even sure I liked lol
After the near 100% positive reaction to the LF-LC, any automaker would be hard pressed not to make or challenge themselves to make something as attractive.

Speaking of, the LF-LC was given the green light today
Old 03-28-13, 04:42 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geez Hyundai... Give it a rest.

What exactly is your role? You sell cars to the everyday public, then sell cars to the luxury public. Now you sell cars to the grand touring people. While you have so much momentum, why not threaten RR and Bentley, and give us a luxury cruise liner. Evidently the Phaeton demise has not really rung home. So maybe you can teach Maybach how to play in the ultimate luxury game later.

Retailers in other INDUSTRIES realize there is a need for brand separation/distinguishing. Walmart has spun off Sam's, KFC has Pizza Hut/Taco Bell. You cannot be the swiss army knife of the car industry.

Other than that, the rendering looks nice, if a little like the LF-LC/CC.
Old 03-28-13, 05:05 PM
Hoovey689

You cannot be the swiss army knife of the car industry.
lmao
Old 03-28-13, 05:09 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I knew there would be a bunch of haters in here saying the same thing.
But hey, you're free to hate. It's your right.

If you spend so much time trying to figure out who copied what, you'll never enjoy cars.

No car builder is innocent of borrowing. Hyundai does a good job melding them.

Which other car builder has a hexagon grille?
which eliminates the B pillar?

It looks nothing like the LFLC, except that it has a long hood and a sports car shape.

Please try harder to find everything they copied. Look at every square inch and see what is similar------

and before you have a cow, remember this is never going to make it to production since it is a design study

Last edited by pman6; 03-28-13 at 05:13 PM.
Old 03-28-13, 06:39 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by pman6
I knew there would be a bunch of haters in here saying the same thing.
But hey, you're free to hate. It's your right.

If you spend so much time trying to figure out who copied what, you'll never enjoy cars.

No car builder is innocent of borrowing. Hyundai does a good job melding them.

It looks nothing like the LFLC, except that it has a long hood and a sports car shape.

Please try harder to find everything they copied. Look at every square inch and see what is similar------

and before you have a cow, remember this is never going to make it to production since it is a design study

[.com/Lexus-LF-LC_Blue_Concept_2012_photo_0b.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-28-13, 10:47 PM
Stormwind
Racer

just saying
Attached Thumbnails Hyundai sketches out HND-9 luxury sports coupe concept-bentley-continental-gt1.jpg   Hyundai sketches out HND-9 luxury sports coupe concept-cl-sport-04.jpg  
Old 03-28-13, 11:15 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ee/Internet_Troll_velu_ill_artlibre_jnl.jpg[/IMG]

is that you? I must admit sometimes I picture you that way after reading your comments.

You obviously don't see the irony of my post. Hating on an ugly design element of a toyota or lexus is forbidden, even though everyone's opinion of it varies because that is human nature.
Yet hating on honda, acura, and hyundai over and over and over is perfectly acceptable.
We all have different likes/dislikes, and some of us don't care what "every person in the universe" seems to say.

Last edited by pman6; 03-28-13 at 11:19 PM.
Old 03-28-13, 11:31 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts
Thumbs up

is that you? I must admit sometimes I picture you that way after reading your comments.

You obviously don't see the irony of my post. Hating on an ugly design element of a toyota or lexus is forbidden, even though everyone's opinion of it varies because that is human nature.
Yet hating on honda, acura, and hyundai over and over and over is perfectly acceptable.
We all have different likes/dislikes, and some of us don't care what "every person in the universe" seems to say.
Exactly, I absolutely agree. Having opinions and favorites is perfectly fine, but I find hypocritical "fanboyism" to be very off putting. Especially if one journeys off to other forums and behaves distastefully.
Old 03-28-13, 11:50 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

[quoge=pman]Which other car builder has a hexagon grille?
which eliminates the B pillar?[/quote]
Aston martin is famous for its hexagonal-ish grille. It is a corporate grille. The 2013 Fords also have an almost direct replica of the Aston grille. Except it is in full hexagon shape. Google "2013 fusion grille". Not sure why the Bentley continental was posted as that is a rectangle but haha.

Like posted before, the Mercedes E coupe, when it was unveiled bragged aboug removing the b pillar.

Everybody copies yes, but Hyundai does so at a very distasteful level, in my opinion. They do not really bring anything new to the table, and a good bunch of their designs are "eerily similar" to other automakers of high success.

I'd post a bunch of picture comparos for the thread but i cannot atm because i am on a mobile device.
Old 03-27-14, 08:07 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Hyundai HND-9 Coupe Concept Debuts At 2013 Seoul Motor Show

Coinciding with this week’s festivities in New York is the 2013 Seoul Motor Show taking place in Korea, where the stunning new HND-9 coupe concept from Hyundai made its debut.

After a brief preview last week, Hyundai has now revealed the full details for the HND-9, which the automaker has confirmed is a preview of a “next-generation luxury sports coupe.”

While Hyundai didn’t go so far as to state that the next-generation coupe it’s referring to is in fact a new version of its Genesis Coupe, the styling of the HND-9 is expected to influence numerous models in Hyundai’s future lineup, including any successor to the Genesis Coupe.

One of the strongest indicators that the HND-9 may be a preview of the next Genesis Coupe is the concept’s powertrain; the HND-9 is equipped with a turbocharged and direct-injected 3.3-liter V-6 engine that delivers 362 horsepower.

Hyundai execs have previously stated that the next Genesis Coupe, which is likely to arrive as a 2016 model, may offer a turbocharged V-6 option.

Matched to this turbocharged V-6 is a new eight-speed automatic, which is already offered on the automaker’s Equus flagship sedan and comes with paddle shifters. Drive is sent to the rear wheels only.

The HND-9 is the ninth concept model developed by the Hyundai’s design center in Namyang, Korea. The vehicle, with its dramatic, long hood and wheelbase, has an overall length of 15.4 feet, width of 6.2 feet and height of 4.4 feet. The wheelbase measures in at 9.4 feet.

Combining classic rear-drive coupe proportions with a modern and somewhat unique look, the lines of the HND-9 underscore the high performance image of the vehicle. Sophisticated details and premium materials, meanwhile, solidify the upmarket look Hyundai is rapidly adopting.

Key details include fluid surfaces, character lines stretching the length of the vehicle, voluminous proportions and a wide, hexagonal-shaped radiator grille. Moreover, butterfly doors, sculptural rear combination lamps, and dual tailpipes placed on both sides, give the car a sleek, futuristic look. The wheels are 22-inch light alloys that feature carbon elements to help reduce unsprung weight.

Like its exterior, the interior styling of the HND-9 was designed to deliver a modern and luxurious look and feel. The seats are made of a special mesh material that depending on which angle they are seen from, they project different colors. The driver-oriented, high-tech interface is modeled after a jet fighter cockpit, which matches the design of the greenhouse.

With the unveiling of the HND-9, Hyundai is no longer coy about its intentions to further expand into the luxury segment. In fact, at the Seoul show this week the automaker also unveiled a new ‘Equus by Hermes’ concept car that previous a potential new special edition in the works. Previously, Hyundai teamed up with another luxury label, Prada, to build a Genesis special edition.
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...oul-motor-show
Old 03-27-14, 08:09 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Hyundai HND-9 Concept is the Blueprint for the Next Genesis Coupe, Debuts in Seoul

When Hyundai first showed us renderings of its new HND-9 Concept last week, it said that it hints at the company's "next-generation luxury sports coupe". After its world premiere at the Seoul Motor Show on Thrusday, the Korean automaker laid it out loud and clear: "the next generation Genesis coupe, will draw on technical and stylistic elements from the HND-9".

How close the second generation of the RWD Genesis Coupe will be to the impressive looking concept, remains to be seen, but one element we don't expect to see on the production car are the butterfly doors.

"HND-9 will give customers a glimpse of Hyundai's future luxury sports coupe models," said Suk-Geun Oh, head of Hyundai Design Centre. "Representing an evolution of Hyundai's "Fluidic Sculpture' design philosophy, the rear-wheel drive sports coupe concept balances high performance with a sophisticated image."

Developed by the Hyundai Motor Group's R&D Centre in Namyang, Korea, the HDN-9 has an overall length of 4,695mm (184.8 inches), width of 1,890mm (74.5 inches) and height of 1,340mm (52.8 inches) with a 2,860mm (112.6 inches) wheelbase, making it slightly longer, wider and lower than the current model.

Power for the concept comes from the Korean automaker's upcoming 3.3-liter turbocharged GDi V6 engine producing 362hp (367PS or 270kW), paired to an 8-speed automatic transmission driving the rear wheels.
http://www.carscoops.com/2013/03/hyu...print-for.html
Old 03-27-14, 11:29 AM
Hoovey689

Looks cool

"HND-9 will give customers a glimpse of Hyundai's future luxury sports coupe models,"
Hyundai continues to probe and push upmarket with the next Genesis Coupe it seems
Old 03-27-14, 09:30 PM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Looks cool

Hyundai continues to probe and push upmarket with the next Genesis Coupe it seems
I just hope they don't push it all the way upmarket. One thing I like about my gen coupe was that it was an affordable fun manual rwd coupe.

Quick Reply: Hyundai sketches out HND-9 luxury sports coupe concept