Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BLACKSC400's new car, a BMW again.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-13, 11:04 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Same here, you got fed up and go buy another identical car?

Not dissing, just talking out loud

Hopefully less miles and later model year make it a better car.

But in my opinion, all those problems you had was typical BMW design issue...........I guess age make it worst.

Good luck to you on this one.

SWB this time huh? I guess you realized you don't need the rear leg room?
Yep, swb this time. I like better handling and after driving the lwb for a while, I can clearly tell the difference.

Also, most major f01 problems are fixed on LCI models, no more coil pack, injector issues, and the new ZF 8 speed is super smooth, same unit used in the RR.
Old 03-21-13, 12:09 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
LOL. Says the VW owner.

Point of the comment was that...like every discussion on reliability...individual commentary doesn't mean jack squat in the real world. Not every car is going to be bad and not every car is going to be good...no matter what marque you are referring to.

Statistically some are going to be better or worse across the brand. I know exactly what I get into, as I'm sure Andy does as well.In this case, I'll take the best driving car in the class, where others might choose ultimate luxury, while still others will select reliability. Drive whatever you feel like, but realize that there's a reason why every car isn't built targeting the same driver.
well said, words from actual owners
Old 03-21-13, 12:17 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES;7834836[B
]Hmmm...maybe he actually enjoys driving?
[/B]

LOL!

First model year BMW's are notorious for problems. But if you want to open this discussion our 750 has been more reliable than our previous RX.
LOL . To enjoy driving it the car has to actually stay out of the shop. Unless we are supposed to enjoy driving the 328 loaners loaners.

In the end to each his own. For me, I would not be likely to back to a brand or model within a brand that had given me issues like that. We all know there is no such thing as a perfect car and I absolutely agree that first model years are a nightmare and I have had more issues than I would have liked with my first year G35, GS ( 2nd yr 3GS but first yearGS350) , and LS, BUT statistically Lexus is the best bet for trouble free motoring. They have always made great cars and now they are being infused with a much more sporty feel and I only see the cars getting better and even more appealing to me, but like i said to each his own.
Old 03-21-13, 12:19 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Yep, swb this time. I like better handling and after driving the lwb for a while, I can clearly tell the difference.

Also, most major f01 problems are fixed on LCI models, no more coil pack, injector issues, and the new ZF 8 speed is super smooth, same unit used in the RR.
Congrats on the new ride. I wish you many happy miles with the car buddy. Great color BTW
Old 03-21-13, 05:06 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
LOL . To enjoy driving it the car has to actually stay out of the shop. Unless we are supposed to enjoy driving the 328 loaners loaners.

my thoughts exactly
Old 03-21-13, 05:44 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
May be because you haven't owned your 750 long enough, give it a few years and then tell us how reliable it could be.
It's not a 7, but my E46 needed fewer repairs over 12 years than my RX350 did under the factory warranty. We replaced the E46 with an E90 last year, and will probably replace the RX350 with an F10 or F30 when the 7-year extended warranty expires next year.
Old 03-21-13, 01:04 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Point of the comment was that...like every discussion on reliability...individual commentary doesn't mean jack squat in the real world. Not every car is going to be bad and not every car is going to be good...no matter what marque you are referring to.

Statistically some are going to be better or worse across the brand. I know exactly what I get into, as I'm sure Andy does as well.In this case, I'll take the best driving car in the class, where others might choose ultimate luxury, while still others will select reliability. Drive whatever you feel like, but realize that there's a reason why every car isn't built targeting the same driver.
Perfectly said, that is how I understand it also.

Out of 10 Lexus, 8 of them are reliable, 2 of them are problematic. Your RX was the 2 out of the 10.

Out of 10 BMW, 3 of them are reliable, 7 of them are problematic. Your 750 is the 3 out of the 10.

It all comes down to cost, if I am balln' buying a new car and keep for 3 years/36k miles, I pick the 7-Series. If I am buying a 40k miles car and keeping it until 200k, Lexus LS. Huge difference in cost. BMW are usually trouble free in it's first few years, about as good as a Lexus LS in it's last few years............kidding......or not
Old 03-21-13, 01:09 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Congrats on your new 750! Looks nice
Old 03-21-13, 01:16 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Ouch!! It is very true though. The bright side is, your car would have no miles since you are always driving a loaners.

The coolest thing about brand new Euro cars are, Lemon laws........I know quite a few people get to drive a brand new car for 1~2 years for free because they get buy back under Lemon laws. BMW Z4 M, Audi S4...........I am so jealous, I don't mind bringing the car to the dealer every week if the car is free! But then again you are really just getting to drive a 328 and A3 for free most of the time

In the end to each his own. For me, I would not be likely to back to a brand or model within a brand that had given me issues like that. We all know there is no such thing as a perfect car and I absolutely agree that first model years are a nightmare and I have had more issues than I would have liked with my first year G35, GS ( 2nd yr 3GS but first yearGS350) , and LS, BUT statistically Lexus is the best bet for trouble free motoring. They have always made great cars and now they are being infused with a much more sporty feel and I only see the cars getting better and even more appealing to me, but like i said to each his own.
Took the words out of my mouth. While I love the feels of Euro cars, problems drive me crazy because I hate hassles, I don't want to be fixing cars in all of my free time. I rather have a reliable boring car then an exciting problematic car. And Lexus LS don't feel that bad, especially now.

If I am rolling in cash, don't need a day job, got nothing to do but to get my car fix, I would own nothing but Euros, hey if you own enough of them, one is always running But unfortunately I am not that fortunate.

Last edited by BNR34; 03-21-13 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-21-13, 01:23 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks guys. The reason I got this car is despite all the issues, I still like driving the BMW. It puts smile on me every time I get in it. Part of the reason for me to change a new one is if I can afford a new one, why should I be still driving an used one with issues. I always entertaining ideas of getting another car, but in my price range the 7 fits me the best.
I rather have an used Ghost then a new 750 for the same price...........kidding

Whatever makes you happy man, that is all it matters, enjoy the boost bro
Old 03-21-13, 01:25 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Sounds good, good luck on this one, hope it is the 3 out of the 10
Old 03-21-13, 01:39 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
It's not a 7, but my E46 needed fewer repairs over 12 years than my RX350 did under the factory warranty. .

it's an interesting question.

are toyota/lexus owners just oblivious to problems
or are bmw owners just more vocal about problems.

I'd say both.

On my old lexus, i've spent over $2000 on repairs, not including regular maintenance of course. Stuff like steering rod, coolant pump leak..
I guess that's not too bad. BMW and Merc owners usually spend $10000, right?
Old 03-21-13, 01:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

10 years ago euro cars had far worse quality compared to lexus and it wsa not funny. but given today, i honestly think the gap has narrowed a lot. granted though, i still think lexus is more reliable in the LONG run. but if we are talking about first 4-5 years of ownership from new car, i really don't feel i would be "scared" by euro.

just like others, my 08 m3 had less problems than my 08 gs350. my 07 s550 had only one sensor problem the whole time i had the car (and no other problems from 07 till 12). truth in latest lexus with so much technology stuff in them, i wouldn't want to own them without warranty either. talking about "cheaper" repair cost on lexus is no longer true on modern lexus. anyone wants to go and price out a new nav head unit on LS, GS, or IS? anyone wants to price out a new headlight? cheap is NOT the word.
Old 03-21-13, 03:17 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pman6
it's an interesting question.

are toyota/lexus owners just oblivious to problems
or are bmw owners just more vocal about problems.

I'd say both.
Originally Posted by BNR34
Perfectly said, that is how I understand it also.

Out of 10 Lexus, 8 of them are reliable, 2 of them are problematic. Your RX was the 2 out of the 10.

Out of 10 BMW, 3 of them are reliable, 7 of them are problematic. Your 750 is the 3 out of the 10.

It all comes down to cost, if I am balln' buying a new car and keep for 3 years/36k miles, I pick the 7-Series. If I am buying a 40k miles car and keeping it until 200k, Lexus LS. Huge difference in cost. BMW are usually trouble free in it's first few years, about as good as a Lexus LS in it's last few years............kidding......or not
See my post above. 70% make a lot more noise then 20%, also why you always hear the 2 Lexus owners who say their cars breaks down daily and 3 BMW owners say their cars never had a problem.

Nothing is perfect but statistically is still off balance by quite a bit.
Old 03-21-13, 04:18 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
anyone wants to price out a new headlight? cheap is NOT the word.
Yup, that's actually the sole reason we got an extended warranty on the RX. At the time we bought it, the only major problems that were going around were transmission failures and leaky headlights. We figured that one instance of either one of those would more than pay back the cost of the warranty, seeing as a headlight assembly was running around $2500. We actually haven't had one of either so far (knock on wood--1 year left), so we're actually a bit behind. The warranty has covered a PCM replacment (including the requisite tow when it left my wife stranded on the side of the road), and some belts and pulleys.

Quick Reply: BLACKSC400's new car, a BMW again.