Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus To Launch New Global Marketing Campaign

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-13, 04:09 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

IS300h..........
Old 04-17-13, 12:44 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's some design event being held on Friday according to the Lexus Facebook.
Old 06-24-13, 12:05 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb Marketing Update

Forget about perfection. These days Lexus is locked in a relentless pursuit of BMW and Mercedes-Benz to win back its crown as the top U.S. seller of luxury cars.

Due to months-long production delays caused by the Japanese earthquake and tsunami of 2011, Lexus lost its luxury-sales title after an 11-year run, from 2000 to 2010. Toyota's luxury division fell to No. 3 behind BMW and Mercedes in 2011-2012.

Lexus is pushing to regain some forward momentum this summer with the launch of its 2014 IS model. To win the younger luxury-car buyers who prefer its German rivals, Lexus is using more aggressive ads from agency Team 1 . "You can choose to blend in. Or you can choose to blend out," says 1 TV spot for the all-new 2014 IS. "It's your move."

If the challenging tone doesn't sound like the quietly elegant brand consumers have come to know, that's the point, said Lexus Corporate Marketing Manager Brian Bolain. The shift toward a more outspoken marketing strategy started with the GS launch in 2012 and continues with the 2014 IS.

"There's a new focus on handling dynamics and driver engagement. There's a new focus on the way we look. There's also a new focus on the way we're speaking," said Mr. Bolain. "GS started that and we've continued it over the past 15 months."

He said internal research shows that its new voice is "having a positive effect" on car buyers under 47 years old. Lexus buyers are generally in their mid-50's. "Plus we're not losing anybody among our preexisting audience," said Mr. Bolain. "That tells me we're on to something."

With the overall luxury-car market growing through May, Lexus still ranked 3rd, behind Mercedes and BMW, according to the Automotive News Data Center. For the 1st 5 months of 2013, Mercedes sold 117,535 units compared to BMW's 113,357 units and Lexus' 97,060 units.

While Lexus was on a tear until 2011, the chaotic disruption of its Japanese supply chain gave its German competitors a huge opening, said marketing consultant Gary Stibel of the New England Consulting Group.

If Lexus was the luxury brand of choice among baby boomers, it's not as popular among the Generation X and millennial consumers now entering the high-end market. Said Mr. Stibel: "The Germans also offer more exciting products with heritage."

Lexus' falloff wasn't for lack of spending.

In 2012, it spent $280 million in the U.S., according to Kantar Media, more than BMW's $170 million and Mercedes' $260 million.

Last edited by GS69; 06-25-13 at 05:15 AM.
Old 06-24-13, 12:17 PM
LexFather

Its bigger than just the IS. The Germans continue a huge product onslaught compared to Lexus and the Asian brands. They also have been super aggressive with deals on cars.

It will be one hell of a fight and consumers will win, especially November/December. Lexus won't come close this year but next year it might be a 3 way heat barring usual circumstances.

Old 06-24-13, 12:34 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate reading these articles where they say that Lexus is "battling for the sales crown" - I know that is not their goal. Do they want to regain lost customers and make up marketshare? Yes, but they aren't doing it for the sake of sales, as they have stated several times.

Lexus will not just need new product, but more product to keep up with the Germans. RX is getting older now and will be replaced within the next year or so. CT needs an update. More coupes. NX is around the corner. GX needs an update. LS is stronger, but needs a total revamp in the next 18 months. etc. etc.
Old 06-24-13, 01:33 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I hate reading these articles where they say that Lexus is "battling for the sales crown" - I know that is not their goal. Do they want to regain lost customers and make up marketshare? Yes, but they aren't doing it for the sake of sales, as they have stated several times.

Lexus will not just need new product, but more product to keep up with the Germans. RX is getting older now and will be replaced within the next year or so. CT needs an update. More coupes. NX is around the corner. GX needs an update. LS is stronger, but needs a total revamp in the next 18 months. etc. etc.
Great points!!! Also they need to really stay on top cars like the IS, GS, even CT which need more help than the ES/RX/LS which sell most months no matter what.

I do have to say Lexus seems to be working to figure this out from what I've seen and been engaged with. Its encouraging to see but as you stated, more product is still needed.

Old 06-24-13, 01:51 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Lexus will not just need new product, but more product to keep up with the Germans.
Lexus needs new engines/powertrains.

All Lexus powertrains other than the ES300h is more than 4 years old and relatively unchanged. The oldest being the IS with an engine that came out in 2005 for MY2006.

I am a Lexus fan, but I find no need to purchase a new Lexus if it's the same product with new skin. It may be a generalization, but it's true.

I've had a 2006 IS350 and a 2007 LS460L in the past. A 2013 IS350 and LS460L will look pretty, but I would feel that it wouldn't be an "upgrade." This is part of why Lexus is losing sales...
Old 06-24-13, 07:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Lexus needs new engines/powertrains.

All Lexus powertrains other than the ES300h is more than 4 years old and relatively unchanged. The oldest being the IS with an engine that came out in 2005 for MY2006.

I am a Lexus fan, but I find no need to purchase a new Lexus if it's the same product with new skin. It may be a generalization, but it's true.

I've had a 2006 IS350 and a 2007 LS460L in the past. A 2013 IS350 and LS460L will look pretty, but I would feel that it wouldn't be an "upgrade." This is part of why Lexus is losing sales...
bravo, excellent post.

another concern, as we've discussed many times, is the lack of flexibility in lexus options, and lack of availability of some options in some models or model types.

but i imagine the is/gs drivetrain (and equip/trim) refresh could be pretty exciting. it will have to be as the audi/bmw/mercedes onslaught shows no sign of slowing, and up and coming whippersnappers like cadillac and even some future lincoln.
Old 06-24-13, 08:06 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

I am totally with Phillip here as well

My IS350 is coming on its 8th birthday and I want a car with a bigger backseat

Next month I should be rolling in a Q50 hybrid sport AWD

Outside of the too big for me and too pricey LS600hL, the only Japanese built
hybrid with AWD and built on a RWD architecture platform

The Q has some misses, no cooled seats, run flats, light gray carpets with the
gray interior but it seems to be the best option, based on what I am looking for

To get ready I sold the beloved 09 Vibe AWD to CarMax tonight.

It frustrates me to see how lazy Lexus has been on the new IS
Old 06-25-13, 11:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Great now everyone will notice you can get all the options overseas and America gets the shaft lol.
Because of excessive government CAFE/emission regulations here (and some other factors as well), it often costs so much to Federalize and certify engines/driverains for sale here in the American market that most auto companies don't bother do to so unless they can guarantee (or have strong reason to believe) that they will get the investment back in sales. That is one of the main reasons, of course, why we don't get more diesels here.