Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next Lincoln Navigator to drop V8 in favor of V6, but Ford Expedition might get both

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-14, 09:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Not bad at all. I like the new Navigator's styling, inside and out....though the downgrading of the engine from a proper (for this class) big V8 to a turbo V6 was probably a mistake. But I at least partly blame the government for that.....they are forcing big changes in underhood powerplants for a lot of vehicles with the new CAFE laws.

Still, they did a nice job with the body and interior. It has nice squared-off styling (which helps with the interior space efficiency), and a classic Lincoln look to the interior. And the horizontal grille, IMO, has a better look to it than the awkward, Smiley-Teenager-Showing-Off-His-New-Braces grilles typical of other Lincoln products.

Of course, I'm basing my initial impression on just these pictures. I'll be at the D.C. auto show tomorrow, and hope to see it in person there, and if possible, sit in one and examine it. Still, even though it is a large SUV instead of a sedan, this may just be the new TRUE Lincoln flagship...(hear that, former Town Car owners?). The MKS was a joke from Day One, and, IMO, still is.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-23-14 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-23-14, 09:37 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Yeah, I was very apprehensive when I saw the tarp picture.

With the reveal, it actually doesn't look too bad. The grill looks better in context with the rest of the SUV, but I do wish they hadn't wrapped the taillights around. Let's be honest, Lincoln's put worse grills on cars.

Now....hurry up and put a supercharged 5.0 in this thing (Although I'm starting to say this about all Dearborn products )
Old 01-23-14, 09:55 AM
LexFather

I'm really lost how Caddy has had two maybe three generations of an all new Escalade while this thing keeps getting face-lifts like its selling well. Its obvious people want these big SUVs and Lincoln CREATED the segment and is lagging.

I can only assume they are happy with profits since its based on an old platform and that selling a few hundred a month makes sense. Contrarily Caddy sells a couple thousand of an old Escalade a month.

Old 01-23-14, 10:09 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The interior on the facelift does look that much different.

Before and after.

Old 01-23-14, 10:11 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Than how now it stacks up to the competition.

Old 01-23-14, 10:14 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

LOL my first thought when I saw the thread was " they still make the navigator". Havent seen one on the road in years
Old 01-23-14, 10:23 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Doesn't look all that bad. A little underwhelming, but not terrible. Interior looks to be improved with a little more definition and more modern Lincoln cues
Old 01-23-14, 10:29 AM
nikko2jzge
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

needs side vents.
Old 01-23-14, 10:51 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just wonder why Lincoln is still refreshing this thing instead of redesigning it, like Mike said. The interior looks dated and worst in class, even despite the addition of leather stitching on the dash.

Surprisingly, I don't really mind the rear end.
Old 01-23-14, 10:53 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
I'm really lost how Caddy has had two maybe three generations of an all new Escalade while this thing keeps getting face-lifts like its selling well. Its obvious people want these big SUVs and Lincoln CREATED the segment and is lagging.

I can only assume they are happy with profits since its based on an old platform and that selling a few hundred a month makes sense. Contrarily Caddy sells a couple thousand of an old Escalade a month.
I'm a bit confused by your statement. The Navigator has gone through 3 generations just like the Escalade- the 3rd gen was launched in 2007, same time as the Escalade. Unfortunately, despite the independent rear suspension and fold flat third row seats, it's powertrain, handling, and interior were far behind that of the Escalade. The Navigator has been soldiering on with that 5.4L V8 since 2003. You'll notice the Escalade never received a facelift from 2007-2013, so the Navigator wasn't the only one being stagnant- the 'Slade was just that much better than the Navigator.

As I said in my post above, this facelift was supposed to be released back in 2011 and a new gen was supposed to have arrived by now. Ford canceled the facelift and delayed the redesign due to finances; it is now releasing it because the new GM trio is here. The new one that's slated to come out in early 2017 will be an aluminum affair.

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I just wonder why Lincoln is still refreshing this thing instead of redesigning it, like Mike said. The interior looks dated and worst in class, even despite the addition of leather stitching on the dash.

Surprisingly, I don't really mind the rear end.
See above.

Last edited by TangoRed; 01-23-14 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-23-14, 11:07 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I'm a bit confused by your statement. The Navigator has gone through 3 generations just like the Escalade- the 3rd gen was launched in 2007, same time as the Escalade. Unfortunately, despite the independent rear suspension and fold flat third row seats, it's powertrain, handling, and interior were far behind that of the Escalade. The Navigator has been soldiering on with that 5.4L V8 since 2003. You'll notice the Escalade never received a facelift from 2007-2013, so the Navigator wasn't the only one being stagnant- it was just that much better than the Navigator.

As I said in my post above, this facelift was supposed to be released back in 2011 and a new gen was supposed to have arrived by now. Ford's canceled the facelift and delayed the redesign due to finances; it is now releasing it because the new GM trio is here. The new one that's slated to come out in early 2017 with be an aluminum affair.
Great points. We should note this is no different than Lexus and the 2013 4.5LS. It is a Major-Minor to suffice until the full redesign can be implemented
Old 01-23-14, 11:42 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are we sure that the 2007 model was considered a complete redesign? It seems like they did a nip and tuck to the old body, and added the cheese grater grille, and called it a day.

Interior also has the same basic shapes and many similar design elements:

Old 01-23-14, 12:20 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Are we sure that the 2007 model was considered a complete redesign? It seems like they did a nip and tuck to the old body, and added the cheese grater grille, and called it a day.

Interior also has the same basic shapes and many similar design elements:
It was considered a new generation because of how extensively they modified the previous T1 platform. The rear suspension was redesigned, new interior/body panels, it was stiffer, had a new transmission, L version was introduced, etc.

The hardpoints and engine were the same though. So not a complete redesign, but forums and such draw a distinction and call them different generations. Point is, they weren't completely stagnant.
Old 01-23-14, 12:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Well, that's just it. You might refer to it as "dated", but others (me included) feel that's what makes it look like a Lincoln....the classic, squared-off styling both inside and out. There is often too much change in the auto industry (especially in styling) just for change's sake and little else. When a vehicle has a nice classic look, an automaker is wise to stick with it (or make only minimal changes)...time, in that case, won't make any difference.
Old 01-23-14, 12:54 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, that's just it. You might refer to it as "dated", but others (me included) feel that's what makes it look like a Lincoln....the classic, squared-off styling both inside and out. There is often too much change in the auto industry (especially in styling) just for change's sake and little else. When a vehicle has a nice classic look, an automaker is wise to stick with it (or make only minimal changes)...time, in that case, won't make any difference.
Well let's be clear- the only reason that interior didn't change completely is because they had to keep the hard points the same. If Lincoln had their way it would adopt an interior that looks more similar to their newest products. Unfortunately that must wait a few years.

Quick Reply: Next Lincoln Navigator to drop V8 in favor of V6, but Ford Expedition might get both