Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Ford Mustang

Old 09-20-14, 02:45 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
This article annoyed me. Autoblog has gone on and on in the past about effective the previous-gen Mustang was with its live axle and then made it sound like it was the worst vehicle ever in this article.
Pot calling the kettle black?

Regardless of their opinions, I think Ford nailed it with this latest generation. Superb vehicle inside and out, should give the Camaro and Challenger something to think about
Old 09-20-14, 04:32 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

ford has another winner here... great job!
Old 09-20-14, 04:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
This article annoyed me. Autoblog has gone on and on in the past about effective the previous-gen Mustang was with its live axle and then made it sound like it was the worst vehicle ever in this article.
Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Pot calling the kettle black?
Actually, Tango has a point....though I can't say that the article annoyed me in the same way it did him. But the fact it that most Mustangs have carried a live rear axle for some 50 years now,...the only exceptions being a few later-model Cobras, SVTs, and Shelbys. And, even with that live axle, the Mustang, besides being the original, is also the most successful pony car of all time. Ford used it for so long because it is well-known that many Mustang V8 buyers do a lot of burnouts, and the live-axle design, though primitive, is durable. (Just look at the durability problems that the new Camaro's drivetrain has had with its IRS). That's why a live axle is also used on so many hard-working heavy-duty pickup trucks, though the newer Dodge Ram are breaking ground with a smooth-riding IRS.

Anyhow, having said that, IMO this new Mustang, live-axle or IRS, looks GREAT.
Old 09-20-14, 04:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i really dislike how tach and speedometer gauges seem to be getting further and further apart, making them less visible through the steering wheel.
That's primarily because automakers are choosing to use the real-estate between the two primary gauges not only for the secondary gauges, but also to display more and more electronic digital stuff, usually associated with the trip-computer or hybrid-functions.

in fact, i think it's time for the traditional round gauges to go bye bye. there's no need for them now with fully digital displays or even better, heads up displays.
Most drivers (and I'm one of them) don't care for digital instrumentation. It was tried long ago, back in the 1980s, and even back then few liked it. The best solution is probably to combine the best effects of both worlds...nice round (or horizontal) analog-style-gauges with an electroluminescent, back-lit background. Lexus, to its credit, introduced just that in the the early 1990's, and it was an instant success......still used, of course.
Old 09-20-14, 06:14 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i really dislike how tach and speedometer gauges seem to be getting further and further apart, making them less visible through the steering wheel. in fact, i think it's time for the traditional round gauges to go bye bye. there's no need for them now with fully digital displays or even better, heads up displays.
Originally Posted by 1neeto
What? Blasphemy!
Let's stone him!

I'm sorry, but the traditional round gauges must stay. I can't imagine it any other way. I don't want digital.
Old 09-20-14, 08:22 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Reminiscent of the late '60s Mustang fastbacks. Love the new Mustang's styling and improved (perceived from pics) refinement. Just hope the 5-0's reliability is improved and is so this car will be a winner.
Old 09-20-14, 09:22 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 09-20-14, 10:10 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

I wasn't aware of any real reliability issues with the 5.0

I want one. Badly.
Old 09-21-14, 11:53 AM
1neeto
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Actually, Tango has a point....though I can't say that the article annoyed me in the same way it did him. But the fact it that most Mustangs have carried a live rear axle for some 50 years now,...the only exceptions being a few later-model Cobras, SVTs, and Shelbys. And, even with that live axle, the Mustang, besides being the original, is also the most successful pony car of all time. Ford used it for so long because it is well-known that many Mustang V8 buyers do a lot of burnouts, and the live-axle design, though primitive, is durable. (Just look at the durability problems that the new Camaro's drivetrain has had with its IRS). That's why a live axle is also used on so many hard-working heavy-duty pickup trucks, though the newer Dodge Ram are breaking ground with a smooth-riding IRS.

Anyhow, having said that, IMO this new Mustang, live-axle or IRS, looks GREAT.
And 'murica buy mustangs with one thing in mind; the drag strip. Can't beat a live axle to the 60 foot marker.

I remember back in 03 when people were totally pissed that the cobra came with IRS. They didn't care that it rode and handled better, all they cared about was hooking off the line. 'Murica!
Old 09-21-14, 12:35 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Originally Posted by 1neeto
And 'murica buy mustangs with one thing in mind; the drag strip. Can't beat a live axle to the 60 foot marker.

I remember back in 03 when people were totally pissed that the cobra came with IRS. They didn't care that it rode and handled better, all they cared about was hooking off the line. 'Murica!
Really? You do realize that most tracked car in America is.... you guessed it the mustang. But keep flaming!!

Have you driven one or are you basing your opinions off of preconceived notions?

Last generation gt with the track pack gave you e92 performance for half of the price.
Old 09-21-14, 09:11 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Old 09-21-14, 11:06 PM
1neeto
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by doge
Really? You do realize that most tracked car in America is.... you guessed it the mustang. But keep flaming!!

Have you driven one or are you basing your opinions off of preconceived notions?

Last generation gt with the track pack gave you e92 performance for half of the price.
Drove a V6 with performance package. Not a bad handling car by any means, but the RLA traits were there front and center. RLA's can give you tons and tons of grip, as long as the surface is as smooth as a pool table. Throw a few bumps and you'll be wheel hopping all over the place. Not exactly the greatest feeling mid-corner. I have also driven a E92 and ignoring the power difference and trying to focus on the handling, it truly is a completely different experience from the mustang. From the refinement, to how the steering wheel talks to you (something absolutely missing from the mustang), to how they both handle road imperfections, they truly are worlds apart. I'm sure you're citing that road and track video where the mustang did a nearly identical lap time to the E92, but a lap time is just one side of the handling coin.

As for the most tracked car in America, that title belongs to the miata. That's a very well-known fact. Unless you meant at the drag strip.
Old 09-22-14, 07:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

i'd enjoy that engine growl for about 10 minutes. after that i'd be "oh please, make it stop".
Old 09-22-14, 09:16 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Old 09-22-14, 11:30 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by doge

Or spending a little extra netted you a Boss 302. I'd love to see another special for this generation

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 Ford Mustang