Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 BMW 7-Series (G11) thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-15, 07:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

worst presenter ever but car is phenominal.
Old 06-15-15, 05:45 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
Cmk1, do you work at BMW or something? Your timeline info and product development pix are amazing. I've always respected Bangle's designs for melding sharp lines with outrageous curves and showing the way for future designs by BMW and Mercedes. The Bangle 6 may have been controversial but it led the way for the current 6 and G11 while still having elements of the original sharknose 6. As for the cancelled 8, it doesn't make sense when BMW already has the i8 as its flagship coupe.

All this makes the new 7 all the more disappointing . The car might be a lot lighter thanks to composite materials and it comes with cool new interior tech but the boring exterior and interior design let it down. Maybe that's how typical 7 buyers want it.
Thank you, I love studying automotive history. I actually don't work for BMW, but Jaguar Land Rover (ironically). My Deutsche is not the most fluent, so working at BMW's FIZ would be very challenging (even with some help).

My mother's side of the family are essentially BMW people (grandpa was BMW importer in Africa), so the interest has been there since childhood and reading a lot of automotive literature.

My father has been strictly British (save for Audi) in terms of that, especially over his Birmingham/Midlands roots regarding the UK. Toyota/Lexus did not hire me, so JLR panned out better. I really have no strict favourites personally outside of work, which explains my presence here.

Here are some rare photos I discovered of the E38 design process, which are very much pre-Bangle and from 1991 (if not 1990 as well). Around the time I can actually came into being, so it is quite shocking. BMW had no chief designer, but only belligerent and arrogant BMW engineers rejecting radical proposals in the May 1990 and September 1992 period, as stated by E38 7-Series designer Boyke Boyer (E36 3er designerl).

See how radical Boyke Boyer's E38 proposal was in 1990/91, but how much more upright the final article was in 1994 (1991 sign-off).

I remember flipping through a 1995 7-Series brochure in late 1994, not even knowing how old "this brand-new" car already was. My mother's first 7-Series was a 2001 740iL Highline Sport (identical blue '01 example below), which I had wanted as a first car (E66 760Li sadly replaced it). Still miss it with a passion and one of the most beautiful 7ers ever.

The i8 is not the flagship coupe and it is more separate, in being part of the BMW i brand. It is somewhat of a halo, but to a lesser degree than the LFA was to Lexus. The 2018 8-Series was supposed to be a more direct, S-Class coupe rival than the 6er. The 2011 8-Series was more of a 4-door 7-Series coupe ala Panamera.

As for the E63, it is a work of art (especially LCi). My mother still her 2009 650i LCi (E64), as the she found the current F13 bland (ironically Nader designed it and G11) and not as distinctive. Save for the packaging issue with the bootlid design, it is supposed to be truer to van Hooydonk and Bangle's vision for the E65 7-Series, but redone in 2-door form and further aligned with the E24. Bangle and the man that got him the BMW gig in 1992, Dr. Wolfgang Reitzle, instrumentally saved Land Rover. If not for the beautiful L322 Range Rover, I shudder to think if LR would've gone the way of Rover.

Originally Posted by dseag2
Wow, huge difference between the concept and production car. Nice looking but a major yawn that will blend in with the current 7 series.
Some of that VFL previews the G07 X7 SAV (instead of F17) and the next 6-Series coupe, so I can see why that happened. The VFL only shrank the G11 headlights and showcased the side profile.

Originally Posted by mordecai
How are they going to go from the sleek Vision Future concept to that? They are totally unrelated and from completely different evolutionary lines.
It was done in reverse as shown in the photos above. Many BMWs launched post-2016 will borrow from the VFL.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 06-15-15 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-22-15, 08:05 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default BMW May Add M Performance Version of New 7-series

BMW is launching its new 7-series with a reduced engine portfolio, but more powerful engines are in the wings, according to company sources.

At launch, the U.S. market will only get a turbocharged 320-hp, 3.0-liter straight-six, and a 445-hp, twin-turbocharged 4.4-liter V-8. In addition to these choices, Europe gets a 2.0-liter-four coupled with an electric motor for a total of 320 horsepower, and a 261-hp, six-cylinder turbodiesel.

That’s a far cry from the competition, and from the predecessor’s lineup, and we’re happy to report that several higher-powered models will be added to the portfolio. There will be diesels that make well beyond 300 horsepower—although not a V-8 diesel. And new 760i is happening, again featuring the monstrous twin-turbocharged V-12.

Between the lines, BMW is hinting at an M Performance derivative of the 7-series. Details are scarce, but it is possible that BMW’s sporty 7-series offering will launch mild hybridization. Separately, we also expect to see a replacement for the current Alpina B7, powered by a tweaked and massaged twin-turbo V-8 that makes around 600 horsepower.

As of right now, the sportiest the new 7-series gets is with the addition of the optional M Sport package, which brings revised lower bodywork, M-specific wheels of 19 or 20 inches, and M-branded interior items.
http://blog.caranddriver.com/bmw-may...-new-7-series/

---

Folks have been clamoring for an M7 for years. This is the sportiest iteration yet, perhaps now is the time. It'd be nice to see BMW take a stab at AMG. All wishful thinking of course.
Old 06-23-15, 05:16 AM
Sweatshop
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

http://blog.caranddriver.com/bmw-may...-new-7-series/

---

Folks have been clamoring for an M7 for years. This is the sportiest iteration yet, perhaps now is the time. It'd be nice to see BMW take a stab at AMG. All wishful thinking of course.
Alpina had that covered for a while for people that were looking for that sort of thing.

True, the exterior is not a far cry from the present model bit considering that ever other manufacturer stole everything from the Bangle Butt to the Angel-eye/running light brow concept to the I-Drive to the M-division (ala AMG/Audi-R, blah blah blah), BMW has nothing to prove really. And I am sure this car will have a much more commanding presence to most of us once seen in person.

Last edited by Sweatshop; 06-23-15 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-23-15, 09:19 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The all-new BMW 7 Series is a car with an astonishing variety of options. For those with even higher demands, BMW Individual offers the BMW Individual 7 Series. Choose from an extended range of colours and materials. More at: http://www.bmw.com/individual
Old 06-23-15, 12:54 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OMG! The individual finally offers red! It sucks it can't have M-sport with individual
Old 06-23-15, 05:19 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Love the car, but love the concert hall even more!
Old 06-23-15, 05:44 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by blacksc400
It sucks it can't have M-sport with individual
The extended version of the BMW Individual program called BMW Individual Manufaktur will be available from March 2016.

So if you want M-Sport with options like Black Full Merino Leather or Piano Black trim (XE7), then this is the way to go.

Personally, I would create a build like this:
-Exterior body color = Jet Black/Schwarz II (668)
-Black Full Merino Leather interior (X3SW)
-Black stitching
-Piano Black Interior Veneer Trim (XE7)
-Ceramic Controls

P.S.
How about you? What kind of build would you want?

Do you want extreme Individual colors like Java Green, Dakar Yellow, Imola Red or Sepia Violet? Hehe xD

Or you can also create your own color as well aka Sonderlackierung (690)

Last edited by Blackraven; 06-23-15 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-23-15, 10:28 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

I just like white M sport exterior with imola red and piano black wood trim. The piano black is pain to keep scratch free but it just looks so good
Ohh if I could then wood insert on a M sport steering wheel, but this one is hard to come true.
Old 06-23-15, 11:52 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Ohh if I could then wood insert on a M sport steering wheel, but this one is hard to come true.
We'll see the level of bespokeness when the BMW Individual Manufactory program launches on March 2016.

P.S.
I've heard there's a lot you can do with this customization program.

Case in post:
One of the owners of an old M6 in Hawaii wanted to use the wood from his backyard tree (Hawaiian Koawood) to be a part of his car. He then gave samples of his tree to BMW so with the help of BMW Individual, the pieces of the wood trim were used in his car.

Old 06-24-15, 01:07 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Wooooooo impressive
Old 06-24-15, 01:56 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

OMG! The individual finally offers red! It sucks it can't have M-sport with individual
I am sure if you pay enough $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, they would do it

By the time you make it that cool though, it would be Bentley's money.
Old 06-24-15, 02:05 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Case in post:
One of the owners of an old M6 in Hawaii wanted to use the wood from his backyard tree (Hawaiian Koawood) to be a part of his car. He then gave samples of his tree to BMW so with the help of BMW Individual, the pieces of the wood trim were used in his car.
Bravo BMW
Old 07-04-15, 09:49 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Annabelle from France is a professional scent maker. She worked for three years at BMW to create the smell of the all-new BMW 7 Series. This is her #BMWstory.
Old 07-16-15, 10:15 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

This is the official BMW Individual brand film including the all-new BMW 7 Series. More at: http://bmw.com/individual

Quick Reply: 2016 BMW 7-Series (G11) thread