Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Land Rover bringing world's first nine-speed automatic transmission to Geneva

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-13, 10:06 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Land Rover bringing world's first nine-speed automatic transmission to Geneva

Land Rover bringing world's first nine-speed automatic transmission to Geneva

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2014-...photo-5671671/

Among the future shocks to be shown at the rapidly approaching Geneva Motor Show, Land Rover will be displaying a nine-speed transmission it has been working with ZF to develop. Engineered for transverse – read: usually front-wheel drive – applications, the ZF 9HP will replace the six-speed transmission in the Evoque come 2014.

The three extra ratios add just a quarter of an inch in length to the case, yet it's 16.5 pounds lighter than that six-speed. The built-in benefits of the extra gears are better fuel economy and lower emissions, and the even lower gears possible will improve the Evoque's (never-used) off-road capability. The designed benefits are an adaptive shifting system that tailors the transmission to the driving style, a skip-shift function that avoids the need to move sequentially through the gears, and "Fast-Off" and "Curve" modes that take two different approaches to managing upshifts.

LAND ROVER TO DEMONSTRATE THE WORLD'S FIRST NINE-SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

• Land Rover announces new ZF nine-speed automatic transmission for transverse applications
• Increasing the number of gear ratios to nine will help reduce emissions and improve efficiency
• Lower gear ratios enhance all-terrain and all-weather capability
• Adaptive shift system matches and remembers customer driving style for a tailored driving experience
• Land Rover is lead partner on this project with ZF, a world leader in transmission technology

(MAHWAH, NJ) February 26, 2013 - Land Rover will demonstrate the world's first nine-speed automatic transmission for a passenger car at the 2013 Geneva Motor Show. The ZF 9HP transmission is designed for transverse applications, and is one of the most efficient and technically advanced transmissions ever used in a production vehicle. Land Rover is the lead partner with ZF on this project.

Increasing the number of gear ratios from six to nine will help reduce emissions
and improve efficiency. Smaller ratio steps also give improved response during acceleration, with improved shift quality and refinement. A higher top gear improves efficiency by lowering engine speed, which also improves comfort and reduces noise when cruising at highway speeds.

The 9HP is quite robust and complements the all-terrain capability expected of a Land Rover vehicle while delivering exceptionally high levels of refinement and efficiency. The lowest ratio in the 9HP is lower than the existing six-speed transmission and is designed for off-road use, towing, and on-road conditions like steep gradients.

Whereas the existing six-speed transmission makes downshifts sequentially, the 9HP has a skip-shift function for much swifter downshifting to meet rapid deceleration demands. If the driver requests a downshift when the vehicle is travelling too fast for the selected gear, the transmission will remember the request and make the shift when the speed drops to an appropriate level. "Fast-Off" mode measures the rate of throttle release, anticipates further requests by the driver for high power, then holds the gear if necessary.

The torque converter incorporates a multi-stage damper system for smoother pull away and improved refinement. An innovative adaptive shifting system matches the driver's mood within seconds, sharpening up during brisk driving and then seamlessly shifting to a more economical program when taking a more relaxed driving approach. Additionally, "Curve Mode," detected acceleration/deceleration forces, and pedal position all control upshift timing.

The 9HP is masterfully packaged and despite the extra three gear ratios is only 0.24 inches (6mm) longer and actually weighs 16.5 lbs (7.5kg) less than the outgoing six-speed transmission. The compact packaging is achieved by using a number of innovative design features: A new compact hydraulic vane-type pump, two patented dog clutches replacing bulkier conventional clutch packs, and a nested gear set.

Land Rover and ZF are on-going partners in transmission development; having jointly developed fully integrated transmission solutions in the Range Rover, Land Rover LR4 and Range Rover Sport. The new nine-speed transmission will be produced at ZF's Gray Court facility in South Carolina, USA.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/27/l...tic-transmiss/
Old 02-27-13, 10:57 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rover is bringing nothing to the show. ZF designed the 9HP for numerous application, the Rover being the least of them.
Old 02-27-13, 12:27 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

But Hyundai has a 10speed, awd system now right?
Old 02-27-13, 01:28 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Haha I told people we would be going higher than 8 speeds. They talked so much crap about Lexus with the 8 speeds.....now what are they going to say??
Old 02-27-13, 01:52 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Haha I told people we would be going higher than 8 speeds. They talked so much crap about Lexus with the 8 speeds.....now what are they going to say??
They won't fuss unless its Toyota/Lexus
Old 02-27-13, 02:14 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

they will say that Lexus only has 8 speeds?

:-)
Old 02-27-13, 02:25 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Go look at the comments on auto blog. People are still fussing, don't you worry.
Old 02-27-13, 03:17 PM
Marzabella
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Both this ZF 9 speed and the hyundai 10 speed are fairly low torque FWD units (rated for about half the torque of the aisin 8 speed). What makes me wonder is why don't power unit manufacturers take advantage of this multitude of ratios and make units that operate super efficiently in a narrow band rather than the broad spreads they have now at the cost of missing peak efficiency/power
Old 02-27-13, 05:40 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought 8 speeds were stupid on Lexus, and I also think they're stupid on BMWs. I've driven a few BMWs with the 8-speed automatic and the difference in RPMs at highway cruise between the upper gears is measured in hundreds of RPMs. 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th... very little difference. Pick two of those, how bout 6th and 8th, and you're good to go. The rest is all marketing. 9 or 10 is ridiculous.

If they can actually eliminate a two-speed transfer case (lots of weight and additional drivetrain loss) with one of these 8+ speed units though, then it's actually worth it. Start off in 4th gear as a normal first gear, and reserve 1st through 3rd for slow off-road crawling situations only. That would make sense.
Old 02-28-13, 08:57 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm........

110 Km/h @ 9th gear @ 1,900 RPM

Don't you guys think the ride would feel odd? Or is it just a matter of perception? (i.e. like how some people feel uncomfortable with CVT gearboxes)
Old 02-28-13, 10:48 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
110 Km/h @ 9th gear @ 1,900 RPM

Don't you guys think the ride would feel odd? Or is it just a matter of perception? (i.e. like how some people feel uncomfortable with CVT gearboxes)
lower the RPM at cruising speed the better!!....doesn't take a ton of HP to cruise at 70mph, thus lower RPMs and higher MPG.
Old 02-28-13, 10:52 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
90% of drivers won't notice a difference. And people don't feel uncomfortable with CVTs because of the low revs, it's because of the rubber band feeling you get when you hit the gas; with some of the more poorly calibrated ones, it's like you're driving around with a slipping clutch all the time.
Old 02-28-13, 11:00 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

5 years from now, cars will have more gears than bicycles lol.
Old 02-28-13, 11:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
lower the RPM at cruising speed the better!!....doesn't take a ton of HP to cruise at 70mph, thus lower RPMs and higher MPG.
Only until you reach a point where the engine starts lugging. Not only that, but lugging can sometimes stress the crankshaft.
Old 02-28-13, 11:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

One also has to take into account the more gears you have, especially in congested areas, the more shifting the transmission will do and the more wear its internal shift-related parts are likely to face.

Quick Reply: Land Rover bringing world's first nine-speed automatic transmission to Geneva