Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Accident with a Lexus Loaner

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-13, 11:22 PM
weenstan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accident with a Lexus Loaner

I searched and couldn't really find anything on the topic.

Anyways, I had my IS in for a CSP service for the rough idle, and got a CT as a loaner from Longo Lexus. I had many loaners from Lexus before but I never got into any accidents. Anyways I got rear ended on the 5 freeway in stop and go traffic, the other driver was clearly at fault. Since no one was injured I didn't contact the police.

Unfortunately the dealer is closed today so I couldn't contact them, but on my loaner papers it says to contact Lexus immediately if I get into an accident. My question is will Lexus contact the other party (i have pictures, license, and insurance) and resolve the situation for me?

My rates shouldn't go up right?

If anyone has had any experience regarding this or any knowledge please add your input!

Thanks.
Old 03-03-13, 11:29 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I would guess it will be up to both insurance companies on both sides of the accident. That would be you and the guy who hit you. As far as I understand, when you get a loaner it's on your insurance, not on the dealers. Keep us posted.
Old 03-04-13, 04:42 AM
ARISTOh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Same thing happened to me if be sure to call the other persons insurance and report a claim and be sure to let them know its a loaner. Get the ball rolling on getting it fixed, Lexus will report it to your insurance but if you can get the other party to admit fault and cut Lexus a check before it gets that far you should be fine. Lexus puts insurance on the car as secondary but your insurance is primary. So if you go into the dealership with the claim number and all the documents of the others you've done their work for them and you'll have less of a chance of your rates going up. They can't do anything until they actually get the car back. I got rear ended in an IS by a drunk guy on a Saturday night and didnt bring them the car until Wednesday but I called them Monday morning to let them know
Old 03-04-13, 05:41 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I would have definitely called the police and got a police report written up.
Usually getting hit in the rear is the other party's fault so your rates shouldn't go up.
The dealer was closed so you couldn't notify them.
As Fizzboy posted,I also believe your insurance covers you with the loaner.
Old 03-04-13, 07:32 AM
ARISTOh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Def should have called the police but its too late now, can't do anything about it.
Old 03-04-13, 12:18 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some insurance companies doesn't cover loaner, some insurance companies will still increase your rate for not at fault accident, be sure to call your agent to discuss this manner.

Also, please always file police report unless it's in a parking lot.
Old 03-04-13, 02:39 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Why would you not contact the police when driving a car that's not yours..? DEF should of call the police, if it was your car, you can make the decision not to contact the police but not in this case.
Old 03-04-13, 06:48 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Police will not always come to an accident unless someone is hurt or trying to get away without rendering info. When my car got totalled in 2008, they would not come to the scene regardless of how many times I asked because there were no apparent injuries.
Old 03-04-13, 06:58 PM
LexFather

Depends on your insurance. I once had some debris destroy an ES loaner headlight and I had to pay out of pocket.

Old 03-05-13, 04:47 PM
chris2k5
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This could get messy for you.

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS call the police to get a report. The guy can change his story later and you will be a WORLD of pain trying to get thing sorted out.

Just wait until Lexus is open and explain it to them. But I have a feeling the other guy will tell his insurance it was your fault.
Old 03-06-13, 11:38 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

hope you got pictures of the whole scene, including the cars ahead of you. That would help show that you didn't just slam on the brakes to cause an accident.
Old 03-06-13, 01:04 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

IN cali a rear ended is always the other guys fault. I think its going to hit your insurance but like the others have said if its a no fault accident the rates should stay the same.
Old 03-06-13, 01:29 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as fault you should be okay, because your damage is in the rear and his in the front. Hard to say its your fault unless he can prove you were driving in reverse. A police report is always a great thing because its an impartial credible 3rd party as to what "probably" happened. More importantly first statements made prior to "coaching" from others. (kindly like your getting now)
Goodluck!
Old 03-06-13, 02:00 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You should be fine since you were rear ended. The other persons insurance should cover the damage to the loaner car. If the other person doesn't have insurance to cover the accident, then your insurance will cover the accident. Either way, it should not really affect your rates - but it will go on your record as a not-at-fault accident. The only way to know for sure how everything works is contact your own insurance tho - insurance companies all vary.

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Police will not always come to an accident unless someone is hurt or trying to get away without rendering info. When my car got totalled in 2008, they would not come to the scene regardless of how many times I asked because there were no apparent injuries.
+1 on this!

For everyone saying "You should have called the police"... Speaking from experience, highway patrol doesn't always come to the scene of accident to take a report. Especially for accidents like this where the person who rear ended the car in front is almost always at fault anyways. They usually only come when someone is injured, hit & run, damage is extensive, traffic is backed up, etc.
Old 03-06-13, 02:57 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250

+1 on this!

For everyone saying "You should have called the police"... Speaking from experience, highway patrol doesn't always come to the scene of accident to take a report. Especially for accidents like this where the person who rear ended the car in front is almost always at fault anyways. They usually only come when someone is injured, hit & run, damage is extensive, traffic is backed up, etc.
I believe in NJ,police if called,will come and do a police report.
You can also tell the cop you'll settle together without one if that's the case.

Quick Reply: Accident with a Lexus Loaner