Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW or Mercedes - 10K budget

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-13, 09:50 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

This is sad.

It's like watching someone going over a cliff and you can't do anything about it.
Old 03-08-13, 05:04 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

The BMW he bought is generally regarded as one of the most reliable beamers made (of this era of german cars) Mechanically they are pretty solid, its just minor stuff like window regulators that are known for failing. Don't get me wrong, i am not a bmw fan (much more a mercedes fan) but these little 3's aren't that bad
Old 03-08-13, 08:51 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

I saw this phrase on a BMW forum no less and I think it's very apt for this situation :

The most expensive German cars are cheap ones.
Old 03-08-13, 09:04 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gray_es300
The BMW he bought is generally regarded as one of the most reliable beamers made (of this era of german cars) Mechanically they are pretty solid, its just minor stuff like window regulators that are known for failing. Don't get me wrong, i am not a bmw fan (much more a mercedes fan) but these little 3's aren't that bad
LOL!

Just curious how many BMW's you've owned out of warranty?

There is no such thing as an inexpensive repair on an out of warranty BMW.
Old 03-08-13, 09:44 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

^I said compared to most german cars of that era. The 325 is a relatively solid car, check the forums as well as people who have owned them. I owned a 325 for a few months after i got a good deal on it and sold it for profit. If you saw earlier on, i was one of the people talking him out of it, but now that he got one, I just told him owning one isn't as bad as say owning a 2002 745, or 2000 s500
Old 03-08-13, 10:41 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
LOL!

not too true. ive had a few repairs on the m6 that didn't cost a lot at all. valve cover gaskets + service at bmw 95 dollars. alternoator repair service 135 at bmw. Dont let everyone make you think you you cant afford to maintain one. depending on model, it's not bad at all. granted, its no toyota or honda but people act like these service repairs will outweigh the price of the car in the next 3-5 years. if you have a job and extra spending money, you should have no problem. i have a friend who bought a super high mileage e46 m3, and now it has even more miles driven for two years with no problems at all yet.
Old 03-08-13, 10:49 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
not too true. ive had a few repairs on the m6 that didn't cost a lot at all. valve cover gaskets + service at bmw 95 dollars. alternoator repair service 135 at bmw. Dont let everyone make you think you you cant afford to maintain one. depending on model, it's not bad at all. granted, its no toyota or honda but people act like these service repairs will outweigh the price of the car in the next 3-5 years. if you have a job and extra spending money, you should have no problem. i have a friend who bought a super high mileage e46 m3, and now it has even more miles driven for two years with no problems at all yet.
What are they charging an hour down there?

BMW/Lexus/MB are side by side in my town and I've used them all in the past couple of years with our various cars. Shop rates start at $125/hr.

There is not one repair/service I've seen on any of our BMW's that didn't cost a lot comparatively. I could go down a list of expensive repairs but it would be too long and depressing....lol.
Old 03-08-13, 11:06 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

What are they charging an hour down there?

BMW/Lexus/MB are side by side in my town and I've used them all in the past couple of years with our various cars. Shop rates start at $125/hr.

There is not one repair/service I've seen on any of our BMW's that didn't cost a lot comparatively. I could go down a list of expensive repairs but it would be too long and depressing....lol.
its 90 dollars here at bmw i take mine to. sometimes depending on job, they will have a flat rate. they also repaired my steering wheel angle sensor and paid for the sensor as well. im not sure if they take care of "M" owners better so im not sure.

lexus here is 90 bucks an hour as well. lexus also helps owners when they are out of warranty. they will work with you on pricing which is amazing. i still have a warranty on the F but i not worried either when it goes out. Lexus is great with customer service trying to keep you as a lifetime lexus buyer. if you have under 150k miles, they really do help a lending hand on pricing and i think it's great.
Old 03-09-13, 04:18 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 208 Likes on 158 Posts

LOL!

Sure there are. I did several in the 9 years I owned my E46 out of warranty.
Old 03-09-13, 07:22 AM
CincyBrad
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even under warranty, I would never buy a German car again. Back in the day, I bought a new 2008 M3 coupe. In the year I had that car, it returned to the dealer 9 times. Entire cooling system had to be replaced, iDrive had to be replaced and a bunch of other things. I traded it in with 6,800 miles on it for a 2008 Acura TL. German reliability? Yeah, right.

Buddy of mine has a Benz ML350. 3 months of of warranty, AC compresser failed. Benz refused any goodwill assistance on the repair, was $2,100 to fix it. $1,100 for the part, and $1k in labor. Needless to say, the ML is going bye bye, he's in the market for a Lexus RX now.
Old 03-09-13, 05:55 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

my brothers E550 just went in and had $5800 in repairs done under warranty. Everything from air suspension failure to engine mounts broken. German cars are great.........just dont ever own one without an warranty. Words to live by. It hasnt changed over the last 30 years and its probably not going to change
Old 03-09-13, 06:18 PM
MnM24
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got the 2003 325i as my second car to the GX470, loving it already!