Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official: 2014 / 2015 Jeep Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-13, 07:31 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^Your SC is almost ten years old, has a V8 engine and a folding hard top. Your RX is saddled down with hybrid batteries, which are pretty heavy.

Weights in this class average 3,300 - 3,500 lbs. 4,000+ is pretty unnecessary.
Old 09-20-13, 07:43 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
^Your SC is almost ten years old, has a V8 engine and a folding hard top. Your RX is saddled down with hybrid batteries, which are pretty heavy.

If we weren't measuring the weight of the Trailhawk model it wouldn't cross 4000lbs. A heavy duty 4WD system, altered suspension, and all its included pieces add a significant amount of weight.

Test drive a sport model with front wheel drive, smaller wheels/tires, or active drive I and you'll see a weight savings.
Old 09-20-13, 07:50 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

new car are really getting a diet lately to make the MPG goal. I think I got myself two overweight car. But it does get decent 28MPG on highway in my last road trip to Toronto.
Old 09-20-13, 08:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I agree with the front-end styling not being to my tastes, either, but that doesn't mean it won't sell. There are a number of people out there who worship the name "Jeep" and will buy amost anything with the logo on it. If the Jeep COMPASS sold (which, IMO, design-wise, was a true POS), then the new Cherokee certainly should.
Old 09-20-13, 08:53 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree with the front-end styling not being to my tastes, either, but that doesn't mean it won't sell. There are a number of people out there who worship the name "Jeep" and will buy amost anything with the logo on it. If the Jeep COMPASS sold (which, IMO, design-wise, was a true POS), then the new Cherokee certainly should.

But the Compass starts at $18.5K and is smaller,Mike.
Old 09-20-13, 06:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

maybe we should all drive one before writing off a jeep that costs $40k.
Old 09-23-13, 01:10 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Chrysler Group LLC has put the brakes on production of its 2014 Jeep Cherokee, idling hundreds of workers at its Toledo Assembly Complex and assigning others to perform lengthy test drives of the all-new crossover.

“We have been producing vehicles since the end of June and have now built the critical number of vehicles we need to stock dealerships once containment is released,” said Chrysler spokeswoman Jodi Tinson in a statement Monday afternoon. “We will temporarily idle the second shift so as not to put additional strain on our logistics partners to get these vehicles into the hands of customers as quickly and efficiently as possible upon release.”

About 500 workers are being temporarily laid off at the factory, as Chrysler cuts production from two shifts to one. The layoffs are expected to last two weeks.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2fkSkBHB4
yeah, sorry Chrysler, it does look like crap.
Old 09-23-13, 01:12 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

The transmission programming has been giving them some major headaches.
Old 09-23-13, 02:19 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
The transmission programming has been giving them some major headaches.
it has nothing to do with that, they are idling shift for 2 weeks because they are not selling enough.

with other manufacturers, usually when new product is launched, they hire more workers to build them as SUVs are selling better and better. Right now Jeep is reverting for 1 shift - that cant be efficient use of the factory.
Old 09-23-13, 02:24 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yup I don't think it's selling well.
Old 09-23-13, 02:34 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and their 8 speed tranny's are useless for MPG as well.
Old 09-23-13, 02:47 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

I'll take my stab at clearing up some things for you.

1) The base price of this car is $24,995. That is a tad rich compared to segment stalwarts like the CR-V and Escape, who both start under $23k and happen to be identified by Jeep as prime competitors. Furthermore, the model tested stickered for more than $34k and still had cloth interior and was a mid-level volume model. With all of that said, Jeep does consider the Cherokee to be a "midsize" vehicle even though it's specs and dimensions align it with CR-V and Escape as direct competitors. A bit of a conundrum...as it seems that a more optioned model (something optioned similarly to a CR-V EX-L or Escape Titanium) would approach or possibly exceed $40k.

The sport starts at $22,995. Also, if you price an Escape and Cherokee out side by side they are VERY similar in pricing. What people don't realize is that by selecting the Trailhawk model they are adding in a ton of equipment that is not available in its competitors at any price. Not selecting the Trailhawk model when pricing out the Cherokee is the more appropriate way to compare it to the others cars in its class.

2) It's pretty heavy - a curb weight for the as-tested model of 4,044 lbs is a solid 400-700 lbs more than competitors. Why is it so portly?

Trailhawk model=4WD hardware not present on competitors. Active Drive I and FWD models will check in at under 4000lbs.

3) For a new nine speed transmission, the gas mileage is no better than other vehicles in the segment with six speed transmissions. I am not sure if the benefits of nine speeds are offset by the weight, but you have to wonder why the MPG figures are not more impressive.

Weight, weight, and more weight. This will add some perspective to the previous answer: The Cherokee's adapted Alfa platform did not allow for light weight idealogies that were part of the of the CX5's development, for example. This model is saddled by its need to be a Jeep and its ability to support systems its competitors do not offer. Unfortunately, even FWD models are carrying design setbacks that came with designing the platform to accept a relatively hardcore 4WD system

4) It seems as if the Cherokee does offer more off road ability than competitors, and a very stout V6 engine. I am not quite sure how much off road ability appeals to crossover buyers, but with Nissan supposedly phasing out the X Terra, and the FJ Cruiser on it's way out, perhaps there is a unique market here.
I'm assuming the Cherokee is not only going to appeal to the buyers you outlined, but also those who will appreciate the refinement that goes along with having the V6. I'm assuming Chrysler think its going to be filling in a niche for buyers who like the Escape Titanium.

Originally Posted by Tantrix
and their 8 speed tranny's are useless for MPG as well.
1) The Cherokee has a 9-speed
2) Exactly how did you arrive at that conclusion? The vehicles that do use the 8-speed (RWD/4WD cars) have seen MPG improvements from when they used the 5-speed.
Old 09-23-13, 02:54 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
it has nothing to do with that, they are idling shift for 2 weeks because they are not selling enough.

with other manufacturers, usually when new product is launched, they hire more workers to build them as SUVs are selling better and better. Right now Jeep is reverting for 1 shift - that cant be efficient use of the factory.
The model is not for sale yet, how can it not be selling enough? The Cherokee suffered from a similar setback to that of the Infiniti Q50. They produced a ton of them but then had to keep them all in a giant lot while they waited on updates. Now that they are beginning to ship, they need to idle the production until the lot is cleared and the production line is in a rhythm.

It would be helpful to do some research on manufacturing launches with cars (well...problematic launches). This isn't actually that big of news, but is making headlines because the Cherokee has been delayed multiple times.

This reuters article is helpful: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...98M13620130923

Originally Posted by Reuters
Bruce Baumhower, the president of United Auto Workers Local 12, told the Blade on Monday that Chrysler was conducting final quality checks on the Cherokees before releasing them to dealers.
The "extended test drives" in the Detroit News articles and these final quality checks are a result of the transmission software issues that caused all of the already-built Cherokees to get quarantined in the first place.

Originally Posted by Tantrix
yup I don't think it's selling well.
The car is not even officially for sale yet...so your point means nothing.
Old 09-23-13, 03:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

mall shoppers and soccer moms need not apply. the cherokee is a real off-road capable vehicle, unlike a cr-v.
Old 09-23-13, 03:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
yeah, sorry Chrysler, it does look like crap.
name a competitor that's decent looking. the rav4, cr-v, escape, outback are no beauties either.

Quick Reply: Official: 2014 / 2015 Jeep Cherokee