Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Unintended Sudden Acceleration of an Hyundai Elantra Ended in High-Speed Crash

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-13, 01:34 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gray_es300
Quick question, this car, as well as the es350 has been sold in other countries, and if the platform of the es350 is as similiar to the camry as everyone says it is, then that means that the car is all over the world in HUGE numbers, yet only the US had problems with unintended acceleration? I don't understand that. Also this Elantra has been out for a decent amount of time, I have never heard of this happening anywhere until now. I'm not saying that just because i haven't heard of it, doesn't mean it can't happen, but it seems unlikely for lack of a better word.
What is the basis of "only in the US?" Was there a story that said there were no incidents reported outside the US? Or is this based only on incidents that were affirmatively reported? Because, the "news" in this country is very much focused on what happens here.
Old 02-24-13, 04:59 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I remember this video, although it was a Sonata in the video, but scary nonetheless

Old 02-24-13, 05:08 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
What is the basis of "only in the US?" Was there a story that said there were no incidents reported outside the US? Or is this based only on incidents that were affirmatively reported? Because, the "news" in this country is very much focused on what happens here.
only people in US reported run-away Toyota's that cant be stopped...
Old 02-24-13, 05:13 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

^ that was what I was trying to say, I guess I wasn't very clear
Old 02-24-13, 05:39 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
To everyone, while it is second nature to us how a car works, I think there are tons of driver on the road really don't understand all the basic function of a car. I can see how if their gas pedal is stuck under the floor mat, they really have no clue what to do.

I really believe they have no clue how to or what "putting it into neutral" means.

So I think is more like they don't know how, is not that they can't do it.
This. I was in a car where the driver put the car in reverse and as they released the brake pedal, didn't anticipate that the car would reverse so suddenly and panicked. It took a while for me to figure out what was happening and by the time I put the transmission in neutral, there was enough momentum to get over a parking curb and hit another car. Btw, the car was a Lexus, an IS250, I know that it revs high during a cold weather start (kind of like an open choke,if you're old enough to remember) so it made sense to me as to what happened.

Ps: I couldn't reach the parking brake pedal from the passenger seat

Last edited by My0gr81; 02-24-13 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-24-13, 07:46 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
Ps: I couldn't reach the parking brake pedal from the passenger seat
Another reason for the car makers to keep the handbrake in between the driver and the passenger eh?
Old 02-24-13, 08:01 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Wow, I'm glad I'm not so stupid. I think people should have to learn proper driving techniques, as well as emergency tactics. In addition, they should also learn how a damn car works.

This incident reminds me of this video

WARNING: The F bomb is dropped about 40 times in this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ4PtafRB9c
Love that video. Tell it how it is
Old 02-25-13, 01:40 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I still don't see how this idiot couldn't just bump the transmission from drive up to neutral. A Hyundia Elantra has the same old floor mounted gear shift, with the gate being a perfectly straight line, that has been in use since the 1950's/60's.

Personally I still like my old school cars with three pedals. If the throttle ever sticks you just push the clutch in, end of problem.
Old 02-25-13, 05:42 AM
Dream36
Pole Position

my SC does this all the time. I just reach down and slide the floor mat back. works like a charm. if I had to stop on the hurry it will down shift with ease as well.
Old 02-25-13, 06:30 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I just don't understand how ALL this fails at once.
really doubt it. Since the guy was a teenager you can suspect he doesnt have a lot of years of experience driving or knows how to deal with emergency situations.
Old 02-25-13, 08:23 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Wow, I'm glad I'm not so stupid. I think people should have to learn proper driving techniques, as well as emergency tactics. In addition, they should also learn how a damn car works.

This incident reminds me of this video

WARNING: The F bomb is dropped about 40 times in this video.
I love that tutorial
Old 02-25-13, 11:20 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Toyota unintended acceleration, internet goes nuts, Toyota is the devil, Toyota sucks, lets try to destroy Toyota, to hell with facts, overlook facts...

Everyone else, oh its the driver, not the car
when toyota had its allegations, the white house / media (little difference ) was doing anything to trash competitors of their bail-out babies (gm/chrysler).
Old 02-09-15, 07:28 AM
sphy1005
Instructor

Originally Posted by BNR34
To everyone, while it is second nature to us how a car works, I think there are tons of driver on the road really don't understand all the basic function of a car. I can see how if their gas pedal is stuck under the floor mat, they really have no clue what to do.

I really believe they have no clue how to or what "putting it into neutral" means.

So I think is more like they don't know how, is not that they can't do it.
My thing is though that they had an hour to tell him what to do. How does it not shift into neutral, keys won't turn off etc... there was plenty of time to "teach" Him how to do it.
Old 02-09-15, 10:39 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

don't forget the Audi that started it all.
Old 02-09-15, 01:14 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

According to an article it said a modern Luxury car has anywhere from 70 to 100 micro processors, and uses 100 million lines of software code. And went on to say a Mercedes s class navigation system alone uses 20 million lines of code.
All here on this thread and even some youtube videos seem to think we are still dealing with cars of the 80's and below. Sorry not the case and its going to get worse on newer cars, and is the case on many new cars now, what I'm talking about is electronic computer control of everything the driver inputs to control the car.
EVERYTHING the driver touches to make the car work is run by computer. Steering was the last hold out but even that is in the equation, with auto parking and lane hold features. Turn the engine off when the gas goes to the floor ? How when its all run by the computer, the brakes the transmission and on and on. The only hope maybe a park brake but then maybe there is an override on that and if its just a small shoe arrangement like the old LS400's and some other cars at a high speed they will fade like shoes on ice so they won't do much.
Anyway I posted this above it was on 60 minutes last night it started out as computer hacking and they showed an eye opening hack of a car being driven.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/60_minutes/
2-8-15 show

Quick Reply: Unintended Sudden Acceleration of an Hyundai Elantra Ended in High-Speed Crash