Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 McLaren P1 903HP Turbo V8 Hybrid (production pics added)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-13, 11:08 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
It looks so much better than La Ferrari, and doesnt have a weak *** name like La Ferrari
Seriously. P1 may be simple but it doesn't sound stupid. Aventador/Veneno, all are strong names, and Ferrari goes and calls it LaFerrari
Old 09-06-13, 03:46 PM
Hoovey689

Old 09-06-13, 05:03 PM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Extreme heat, how about extreme cold. I want to know how this beauty can handle -40c weather.
Old 10-21-13, 05:43 PM
Hoovey689

Default McLaren P1 hits 62 mph in 2.8 seconds, 186 in 16.5

McLaren P1 hits 62 mph in 2.8 seconds, 186 in 16.5

With over 900 horsepower on tap from its 3.8-liter twin-turbo V8 and electric motor, there was never any question that the McLaren P1 would be quick. Just how quick, we didn't know, but with the first example now in its customer's hands, McLaren Automotive has given up the vital stats on its new hybrid hypercar.

After what McLaren terms as an "extensive testing and development programme", the new P1 has now been revealed to run from 0-62 miles per hour in 2.8 seconds. Keep the accelerator down and it'll hit 124 mph in 6.8 seconds and 186 mph in 16.5 seconds – which may seem a little abstract, so for reference, consider that it took the legendary McLaren F1 a massive 5.5 seconds longer to reach 186, and that was long considered to be the fastest car on the road. Run out of said road and the P1 will shave off that speed in a hurry too, braking from 62 mph to a standstill in less than 100 feet, which McLaren claims is a third the distance it would take most vehicles.

Those are some massive performance stats, and come as the result of an extensive build process. Woking says it takes 82 technicians 17 days of work to complete a single example, culminating in a "monsoon test" that involves dumping over 4,000 gallons of de-ionized water onto the finished car to make sure all the seals are tight. Once production gets up to speed, it'll roll out one unit per day until all 375 examples are built – projected to take until the middle of 2015.

The first example – decked out in yellow and exposed carbon – was just picked up by its unnamed British owner directly from the McLaren Technology Centre.

PERFORMANCE FIGURES FOR THE McLAREN P1™ CONFIRMED AS THE FIRST CUSTOMER CAR IS DELIVERED

- 0-100 km/h (62 mph) sprint in just 2.8 seconds
- Braking from 100 km/h to zero takes just 30.2 metres – less than a third of the recognised stopping distance
- The McLaren P1™ reaches 300 km/h (186 mph) in 16.5 seconds – a full 5.5 seconds quicker than the iconic McLaren F1
- Bespoke tyres and braking system, developed in conjunction with technical partners Pirelli and Akebono, ensure optimised performance
- First customer takes delivery of groundbreaking McLaren P1™ from company's headquarters in Woking, England

Following an extensive testing and development programme, McLaren Automotive has now confirmed the performance figures for the McLaren P1™ in the latest stage in the launch of the groundbreaking model. These figures show that the third model in the range accelerates to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 2.8 seconds, 200 km/h (124 mph) in 6.8 seconds, and 300 km/h (186 mph) in just 16.5 seconds.

Groundbreaking levels of performance

The McLaren P1™ has been designed from the outset with one clear goal: to be the best driver's car on road and track. The confirmation of the performance figures underlines this, and gives further insight into the potential of the latest model from the Woking-based firm.

Fitted with a twin powerplant powertrain generating 916 PS (903 bhp) from the highly efficient 3.8-litre twin turbo V8 petrol engine and the lightweight electric motor, the McLaren P1™ storms from a standstill to 100 km/h (62 mph) in just 2.8 seconds, and hits 200 km/h (124 mph) in 6.8 seconds – quicker than many hot hatches reach half that speed.

The relentless acceleration, delivered as a result of the instant torque offered by the electric motors and the optimised turbos, sees the McLaren P1™ reach 300 km/h (186 mph) in just 16.5 seconds. By way of a benchmark, this is a full 5.5 seconds quicker than the legendary McLaren F1. Top speed is electronically limited to 350 km/h (217 mph).

Despite these impressive figures, the McLaren P1™ still returns 34.0 mpg (8.3 l/100km) on the EU combined cycle, with CO2 emissions of 194 g/km. The electric motor offers a range of 11 km (6.8 miles) in full electric mode on the NEDC cycle, which sees emissions drop to zero.

The braking figures are equally as impressive for the McLaren P1™, with the levels of performance provided by the bespoke Akebono system. The specially formulated carbon ceramic discs, coated in silicon carbide, can bring the McLaren P1™ to a halt from 62 mph (100 km/h) in a distance of just 30.2 metres. This figure is even more impressive when compared to the recognised stopping distances, which suggests that more than three times the distance – 102 metres – is required to bring a car to a halt from 100 km/h (62 mph).

An overview of the performance figures for the McLaren P1™ is as follows:
Acceleration
0-100km/h (62 mph)
0-200km/h (124 mph)
0-300km/h (186 mph)
Standing quarter mile (400m)
V Max 2.8 seconds
6.8 seconds
16.5 seconds
9.8 seconds @ 245 km/h (152 mph)
350 km/h (217 mph) electronically limited
Braking
100-0 km/h m (ft) [sec]
200-0 km/h m (ft) [sec]
300-0 km/h m (ft) [sec] 30.2 (99) [2.9]
116 (380) [4.5]
246 (806) [6.2]
Fuel efficiency
mpg (combined)
litres/100km 34.0 mpg
8.3 l/100km
Emissions
CO2 194 g/km
First customer takes delivery

In a year of celebration for McLaren, this week has seen another significant milestone in an important chapter of McLaren Automotive with the first customer delivery of the groundbreaking McLaren P1™. Series production of the latest addition to the McLaren range commenced over the summer, and the first car, finished in a striking Volcano Yellow and contrasting visual carbon fibre, rolled off the bespoke production line at the end of September – a fitting tribute during the month of the 50th anniversary celebrations.

The first example of the McLaren P1™ was collected from the McLaren Technology Centre by its UK-based owner.

"We designed the McLaren P1™ from the outset with one clear goal: to be the best driver's car on road and track. The confirmation of the performance figures underlines this.

"I am very proud of our Woking based team and everything they have achieved with this ambitious project. The handover of the first McLaren P1™ is another milestone in our 50 year history," commented Mike Flewitt, CEO, McLaren Automotive Ltd.

The production process

A total of 375 examples of the McLaren P1™ will be produced, and will be hand-built in the state-of-the-art McLaren Production Centre (MPC) in Woking, England. This £40 million Foster + Partners designed facility is an ultimate embodiment of McLaren values, fusing precise production techniques with hand craftsmanship and incredible attention to detail.

The McLaren P1™ is custom-built by a carefully selected team of 82 technicians in a four-stage assembly process. From start to finish, the build takes 17 days of skilled work. Once running at full capacity, the McLaren P1™ line will see one car completed each day, with production due to run until mid-2015.

Stage 1: Structural Assembly

The bespoke manufacturing process commences with the preparation of the carbon fibre MonoCage chassis. The one-piece MonoCage weighs just 90kgs, and includes the integrated roof structure, an integral roof snorkel and air intake ducts, as well as providing a fully sealed compartment for the battery.

Stage 2: Painting

In total the McLaren P1™ consists of seven lightweight panels, all of which are made from carbon fibre – front and rear clamshells, bonnet, doors, front and rear bumpers. Due to the extended painting processes involved, and to minimise disruption to the facility within MPC used for the 12C and 12C Spider, each McLaren P1™ is prepared and hand painted in a dedicated paintshop in the McLaren Technology Centre while the chassis structure is being prepared.

The complete set of body panels for each McLaren P1™ is painted together to ensure a perfect colour match. This process takes three days, including surface preparation of the carbon fibre panels to ensure flawless paintwork on every single car.

Stage 3: Trim Assembly

The fully prepared carbon fibre MonoCage chassis and the hand-painted carbon fibre body panels are brought together on a dedicated production line within the MPC. This ten-stage process is the most recent addition to the MPC, and sees the sub-assembly of battery, front sub-frame, doors, rear clamshells and bumpers fitted as it moves along the line.

Two dedicated McLaren technicians work on each of the production stages for the McLaren P1™, with each step taking a full working day to complete.

Stage 4: Final Assembly

As each car reaches the end of the McLaren P1™ line, it is then subjected to the same rigorous testing regime and sophisticated quality control procedures as the 12C and 12C Spider models to ensure it meets the required quality and performance levels. This phase of production takes a total of seven days to complete.

For the McLaren P1™, this includes a full day shakedown at a proving ground, testing every element of the car's performance. The McLaren test drivers and a team of technicians run through the different settings and modes to examine and verify the performance ahead of final delivery to the customer.

Each example of the McLaren P1™ is then put through the Monsoon Test, in which 16,000 litres of de-ionised recycled water is released on to the car to ensure all seals are correctly finished. A complete underbody check and diagnostics review is then carried out, before the final dispatch audit confirmation.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/10/21/m...mance-figures/
Old 10-23-13, 12:41 AM
Hoovey689

Default Did the McLaren P1 lap the 'Ring in 6:47?

Did the McLaren P1 lap the 'Ring in 6:47?

Yesterday McLaren released official performance stats for the new P1, including a blistering 2.8-second 0-62 time, along with additional acceleration and braking figures. But that doesn't tell the whole story.

No, what enthusiasts will really be waiting to see is how fast the new McLaren P1 will hustle around the Nürburgring. Rumor had it that the Big Mac had clocked a 7:04 lap time, but McLaren wouldn't confirm it, and with just cause: the Porsche 918 Spyder broke the seven-minute barrier (and the lap record for street-legal production cars) around the same time, and McLaren apparently thought it could do better.

Well, it looks like it has, if the latest rumors emanating from the Nordschleife prove accurate. According to YouTube user swsthebest1994, who uploaded the video below, McLaren has managed a 6:47 lap time, which would make it a solid 10 seconds faster than the Porsche 918 Spyder. We'll have to wait on official confirmation of the time, but if it's true, we could have a new Ringmeister on our hands – and a challenge set not only for Porsche, which says it can still best its own time, but also Ferrari.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/10/22/d...-ring-in-6-47/
Old 10-23-13, 12:06 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Not to take anything away from the Ferrari La Ferrari ( silly *** name ) , but the Mc Laren seems more appealing to me. The design seems to flow better and I love the attention to detail McLaren has. Not that Ferrari is a mess but La ferrari just doesnt seem to strike a chord in me like the P1 or even the 918
Old 10-23-13, 12:13 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Not to take anything away from the Ferrari La Ferrari ( silly *** name ) , but the Mc Laren seems more appealing to me. The design seems to flow better and I love the attention to detail McLaren has. Not that Ferrari is a mess but La ferrari just doesnt seem to strike a chord in me like the P1 or even the 918
Same here. I don't feel for "LaFerrari" how I did about the Enzo. P1 for me
Old 10-23-13, 12:39 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I agree buddy. The Enzo blew my mind and raised the bar for years. It was stunning and I dont think many would say it was ugly AND it was named after the founder of Ferrari (il comendatore ). Not Ferrari " the Ferrari"
Old 10-24-13, 04:56 AM
LexFather

Well done.... Though engine is based on the MP long name Mclaren

Old 10-24-13, 08:57 AM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That rumored lap time of 6:47 is bonkers, and they can improve on that too!? Looking forward to the official lap time.

I agree with the P1 being aesthetically more appealing than the Ferrari and Porsche. It looks evil in black.
Old 10-24-13, 09:55 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Well done.... Though engine is based on the MP long name Mclaren
That shouldn't matter though, have you heard how burly it is for 3.8L?

BNR34 brought this up to me. The McLaren MP4-12C is now called the 12C
Old 10-24-13, 10:12 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Not sure how I feel about mclaren being hybrid
Old 11-13-13, 03:09 PM
Hoovey689

Default McLaren P1 is sold out

McLaren P1 is sold out

McLaren has hyped its plug-in hybrid P1 supercar since long before the production version was unveiled at this year's Geneva Motor Show, and apparently all the hype has paid off. Top Gear reports that, shortly after its release, all 375 P1s are "accounted for," meaning they've been bought or secured with a deposit. We reached out to McLaren to confirm the news, and a company spokesperson told us the report is true. It's hard to act surprised with this one, despite the car's $1.15-million price tag.

However, the spokesperson says the growing waiting list is still open in case any buyers must cancel their order.

The spokesperson also says that 12 P1s have been built thus far, which are either already in possession of their owners or en route to them. At this stage, no North America-bound P1s have been completed - all 12 will be based in Europe.

"We set ourselves the target to be sold out by year-end off the back of first cars being delivered to customers in September [2013], the fiftieth anniversary of McLaren's founding," McLaren told Top Gear. "A combination of the first feedback from customers and Top Gear's review of the P1 has seen us cross the line a little sooner than we had planned."

If you still want a hybrid supercar - one that isn't sold out - there's always the LaFerrari or the Porsche 918 Spyder, the latter of which is a relative bargain, starting at $845,000.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/11/13/mclaren-p1-sold-out/
Old 11-13-13, 04:17 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Good job selling it out at 1.15mil. Speaks a lot about the power of the legendary brand.

I guess they only sold 375 tho, compared to 918 units for the 918 (which costs nearly as much and is not sold out). Of course, I give Porsche a lot of credit for not trying to limit supply, just like they didn't with the Carrera GT.
Old 11-13-13, 04:21 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by gengar
Good job selling it out at 1.15mil. Speaks a lot about the power of the legendary brand.

I guess they only sold 375 tho, compared to 918 units for the 918 (which costs nearly as much and is not sold out). Of course, I give Porsche a lot of credit for not trying to limit supply, just like they didn't with the Carrera GT.
Really though in the scheme of things, 918 units isn't really that many. Still going to be rare and a collectors item. Sitting pretty there with a trickle charger

Quick Reply: 2014 McLaren P1 903HP Turbo V8 Hybrid (production pics added)