Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mr. Bean selling his twice crashed McLAREN F1 for £8 million !!!!!!

Old 02-11-13, 10:43 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
+1.

Everyone have a bad day once in a while, even top F1 driver like Michael Schumacher have accidents.
While I agree that everyone has a bad day once in a while, you simply cannot compare road accidents to race incidents as you implied by mentioning Schumacher, whose "accidents" all happened on the track. You are never supposed to drive on public road like you're racing on the track where everyone's driving at the limit trying to beat each other to the finish line. You're supposed to drive responsibly and defensively on the road. There's a huge difference between Mr. Bean's accident and Schumacher's.

Last edited by ydooby; 02-11-13 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-11-13, 01:18 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
While I agree that everyone has a bad day once in a while, you simply cannot compare road accidents to race incidents as you implied by mentioning Schumacher, whose "accidents" all happened on the track. You are never supposed to drive on public road like you're racing on the track where everyone's driving at the limit trying to beat each other to the finish line. You're supposed to drive responsibly and defensively on the road. There's a huge difference between Mr. Bean's accident and Schumacher's.
I agreed.

I think since Bean doesn't race on the track for a living, he takes it out on the street and drive irresponsibly, so he crashed. Where M Schumacher got all his needs for speed on the track already, he probably drive like a grandma on the street.

My point was even people with good driving skills make mistake once in a while, if you push it, incidents would happen.
Old 02-11-13, 07:48 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

I would agree, but Mr. Atkinson, does drive cars on the race track and races a classic Aston Martin. He used to have a monthly spot in Octane magazine about his vintage racing and cars.

Also keep in mind the Mclaren F1 has no driver aids whatsoever, no traction control, not even ABS, a true drivers car, and also keep in mind the accident happened in wet weather, so he could of been driving the speed limit, but made a small error and the accident was the result.

In the end he is now Ok and after alot of money the Mclaren is to.
Old 02-12-13, 07:39 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Schumacher infamously hit a guy with his car once when trying to overtake another car on a small road in the UK. That may be what BNR34 is referring to.

The bottom line is that driving on public roads carries risk because of the unpredictability of other drivers and various conditions of the environment and surroundings. If someone chooses to drive a car on public roads, they will get into accidents. It's as simple as that.
Old 02-12-13, 09:15 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gengar
Schumacher infamously hit a guy with his car once when trying to overtake another car on a small road in the UK. That may be what BNR34 is referring to.
Thank you, but I didn't know that fact.

I just know even top driver get into accidents too, both on the track and the street.

Another example came to mind is the Japanese drift king (Keiichi Tsuchiya) crashed his own NSX-R while drifting it for fun. He wasn't in a competition.
Attached Thumbnails -0.jpg  

Last edited by BNR34; 02-12-13 at 09:23 AM.
Old 02-12-13, 09:27 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

I also agreed people should drive responsibly and defensively on the street. And Mr. Bean probably wasn't when he crashed the F1.

We are talking about different points. I was saying Mr. Bean crashed is not because he can't drive.
Old 02-13-13, 02:30 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

This explain the repair cost, they basically recreated the entire car:
Attached Thumbnails -original.jpg  

Last edited by BNR34; 02-13-13 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-13-13, 02:31 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BNR34
This explain the repair cost, they basically recreated the entire car:

That image isn't viewable unless you're logged in to ferrarichat.com. Can you attach it here please?
Old 02-13-13, 02:44 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

That image isn't viewable unless you're logged in to ferrarichat.com. Can you attach it here please?
Fixed^^^^

Sorry always forget that
Old 02-13-13, 02:52 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Pics are everywhere:
Attached Thumbnails -110805-mr-bean-wreck-hmed-8a.grid-7x2.jpg   -rowan_atkinson_1669088a.jpg  
Old 02-13-13, 03:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar

The bottom line is that driving on public roads carries risk because of the unpredictability of other drivers and various conditions of the environment and surroundings. If someone chooses to drive a car on public roads, they will get into accidents. It's as simple as that.
amen. and i remember reading him crashing a ferrari years ago too
Old 02-13-13, 03:01 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

He crashed it pretty hard another time before too, so he may have high driving skills, but he is not careful. Is two different thing.
Attached Thumbnails -bean-f1-500-rowan-atkinson-s-mclaren-f1-supercar-after-a-crash-in-1999-pic-rex-features-64971328.jpg   -f1-crash.jpg   -mister-bean-rowan-atkinson-accident-de-voiture-image-519737-article-ajust_614.jpg   -p2s.jpg  
Old 01-23-15, 05:45 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rowan Atkinson selling his McLaren F1 for £8 million

Crashed twice

Rowan Atkinson has decided to sell his McLaren F1 and is asking a whopping £8 million.

Famous primarily for his role as Mr. Bean, 60-year-old actor Rowan Atkinson has decided to part ways with his McLaren F1 which was bought as new back in 1997 for £640,000. After two accidents and 41,000 miles, the ultra-rare supercar is up for grabs through luxury London dealer Taylor & Crawley and can be yours for a cool £8 million.

We remind you the first crash occurred back in 2009 when he rear-ended a helpless Rover Metro while the second incident - and much more serious - happed in August 2011 when he lost control of the F1 on a slippery road near Peterborough and heavily damaged the car while injuring his shoulder in the process. It took a whole month just to figure out the repair costs and in the end the insurers had to pay no less than £910,000 to get the supercar back in shape.

Rowan Atkinson's McLaren F1 wears chassis #61 of only 64 standard street cars ever made while the entire production stood at just 106 units including five LMs, three GTs, 28 GTRs, one LM and five prototypes.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11501238...-for-8-million
Old 01-23-15, 07:42 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

He's 60 now ! Wowza

He'll get his asking price. Someone out there will want this
Old 01-23-15, 08:33 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

£8 million for a refurbished machine:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mr. Bean selling his twice crashed McLAREN F1 for £8 million !!!!!!