Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Corolla official pics!

Old 06-03-13, 05:59 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Also a little common sense goes a long way. Just by looking at the picture you can see a regular bulb to the left of the LED bulb assembly. So obviously the headlight overall will offer more than enough illumination.
thats just drl/high beam... regular beam is LED.

Technology is improving all the time... Autobild rated latest GS450h LEDs very good while old ones were rated as bad.

But it is pretty silly to question Toyota when they do some big new tech, we know how Toyota is - they dont make unsafe choices. If this was KIA, everyone would be ecstatic on how it is better than Lexus :-).
Old 06-03-13, 06:12 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
Ahh didn't notice it. Very cool then. Wonder how much the option costs. And wonder why it only has one LED bulb on each side. All previous Toyota/Lexus models with LED headlights had at least two LED bulbs on each side to ensure proper breadth of illumination.
This is a very ignorant statement that you've just made. If you knew anything about lighting, you would know that single high power LED is exactly what you want to "ensure proper breadth of illumination", but its not an easy feat to accomplish due to heat issues.

With headlights, you want maximum throw, which is accomplished by having a small source of light. With multiple less powerful LEDs you might have the same overall amount of lumen, but shorter throw. Think of it as one 100w bulb vs 100 bulbs that are 1w. This is precisely why early Lexus LED lights didn't compare favorably to HIDs, and certain Audi LED headlights with a crapload of leds just plain out suck. Same deal with Acura jewel lights, although they are doing some gimmics with optics where each LED is only covering a narrow angle, so they might actually work well.
Old 06-03-13, 06:15 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

WTF do you mean by hate? I was only asking a simple technical question. It's a fact that all LEDs so far have much narrower breadth of illumination than HIDs and halogens, and that's why all LED headlights in all cars from all automakers so far have to have more than one LED bulb on each side for safety reasons. Unless there's a breakthrough in LED technologies it is more than reasonable to question how the Corolla manages to have just one LED on each side while maintaining enough breadth of illumination to be considered safe for night driving.
I believe Mercedes CLS and latest BMWs have single LEDs. Its quite an accomplishment to be able to build reliable single LED headlight.
Old 06-03-13, 07:30 AM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Single LED headlights on a Corrolla. -mind blown.
Old 06-03-13, 07:35 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The headlight looks like a LED low beam and halogen high beam lighting array.
Old 06-03-13, 02:16 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

You've had a pattern of posts hating on Toyota, so one could be forgiven for assuming you were hating here too.

Good of you to clarify yourself though.

As for the technical aspects, as usual, you are jumping to conclusions without having all the facts. Maybe it's a further development of LED technology? Maybe there is something we don't know yet? Do you really think Toyota made a flawed design on purpose, and that some random poster on the internet (you) discovered Toyota's glaring mistake?

Continually making conclusions without having all relevant information is just plain silly.
WTF? I was only asking a question.

Here's what I said:
"And wonder why it only has one LED bulb on each side. All previous Toyota/Lexus models with LED headlights had at least two LED bulbs on each side to ensure proper breadth of illumination."

I asked only because I've never seen anything like that before. I'm an avid Toyota supporter and the only reason I'm asking questions is because this is something new to me and I'd like to know more details about it. Stop being so f*king paranoid about everything asked about anything Toyota.

It's people like you who label anyone asking questions as "haters" that are really the reasons why "haters" exist.
Originally Posted by spwolf
yeah, lets assume that Toyota made Corolla UNSAFE by using LED headlights

what?

lol.
WTF? I never implied that. I was only asking about how the feat of using one LED is accomplished. Of course being a production car it is going to be safe. I've just never seen this done before that's why I asked. Chill.

Last edited by ydooby; 06-03-13 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-03-13, 02:42 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

wtf LEDs in COROLLA!

:-)
Old 06-03-13, 02:47 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
This is a very ignorant statement that you've just made. If you knew anything about lighting, you would know that single high power LED is exactly what you want to "ensure proper breadth of illumination", but its not an easy feat to accomplish due to heat issues.
I may be ignorant about the new LED technology, but I don't think my statement itself was ignorant. All the past LED headlight implementations required at least two bulbs on each side precisely because what you just said, that "single high power LED is exactly what you want to ensure proper breadth of illumination", was not true, as witnessed in even the newer Audi and Acura models like you mentioned later.
Originally Posted by Och
I believe Mercedes CLS and latest BMWs have single LEDs. Its quite an accomplishment to be able to build reliable single LED headlight.
Actually the new CLS accomplishes the feat with tighter-clustered small LEDs.

Last edited by ydooby; 06-03-13 at 02:56 PM.
Old 06-03-13, 02:56 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
This is what's gonna happen:

Some people are gonna like it because it's a better Corolla.
And some people are gonna hate it because it's still the Corolla.

This is all that needs to be said Its a Corolla, Toyota is not going to throw about millions of customers to make 300 people on the internet who ain't buying one anyway happy.

Those other LEDs are mostly DRL's though..I know very well about them

Exactly. It definitely looks like the North American Corolla will have mini-Avalon styling. Then I suspect the Camry mid-cycle refresh will make it look closer to the Avalon as well, likely with a nice interior upgrade.

Yes, because the white car is the overseas (ASEAN market) Corolla, and the blue car is the North American Corolla.

No it doesn't.

I see well-chiseled fender flares, a very strong shoulder line, and nice side skirt detailing which transitions into the rear bumper detailing.

I'm glad Toyota hasn't gone crazy with side creases, because that makes the cars look more elegant and age better. I'm sick of all these "trend of the day" designs these days with tons of creases and character lines on the sides, that makes it look like the car got into an accident right at the factory, or it makes it look like a drunk Korean with no sense of proportions or elegance designed it.

I'm very sad to see BMW and Benz jumping on the "crazy side crease" bandwagon. Thankfully at least Porsche and Audi are still keeping it elegant on the German side, and Lexus is keeping it elegant among the Japanese.
Bingo..but Venom likes some weird looking cars so no biggie.... GS grew on me tons and I guess I'm getting old but I don't (well never) liked style just for the sake of it. The GS ain't no style leader but it will age well as all previous GS models have.

Old 06-03-13, 03:01 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

ydooby - i think you dont understand that they combine several small led's into single projector housing.... there is no single led inside. it is just like in that CLS shot just without all other led's they have so it can lit up like xmas tree.
Old 06-03-13, 03:04 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
ydooby - i think you dont understand that they combine several small led's into single projector housing.... there is no single led inside. it is just like in that CLS shot just without all other led's they have so it can lit up like xmas tree.
Of course I know that, but please compare the CLS pic with the Corolla pic and you'll see why I have the question, as there's very clearly a single bulb in the Corolla pic, unlike the multiple LEDs that can be clearly seen in the CLS's housing.

Looks like one single bulb to me, not multiple small LEDs:
Attached Thumbnails 2014 Corolla official pics!-corolla-led.png  

Last edited by ydooby; 06-03-13 at 03:11 PM.
Old 06-03-13, 04:03 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

I may be ignorant about the new LED technology, but I don't think my statement itself was ignorant. All the past LED headlight implementations required at least two bulbs on each side precisely because what you just said, that "single high power LED is exactly what you want to ensure proper breadth of illumination", was not true, as witnessed in even the newer Audi and Acura models like you mentioned later.Actually the new CLS accomplishes the feat with tighter-clustered small LEDs.

Of course I know that, but please compare the CLS pic with the Corolla pic and you'll see why I have the question, as there's very clearly a single bulb in the Corolla pic, unlike the multiple LEDs that can be clearly seen in the CLS's housing.

Looks like one single bulb to me, not multiple small LEDs:

The CLS high and low beams are single projector, which is way better for headlights than multiple projector solutions. The eight LEDs that are mentioned in the picture are mostly likely on the same board.

What you see on the toyota photo is the LED board, not bulb, which also likely contains multiple diodes. It is likely the same setup as the CLS.

Of course, we don't know the lumen output of the Corolla vs CLS, but they both managed single projector LED solution that provides adequate light output. Very impressive.
Old 06-03-13, 04:14 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
The CLS high and low beams are single projector, which is way better for headlights than multiple projector solutions. The eight LEDs that are mentioned in the picture are mostly likely on the same board.

What you see on the toyota photo is the LED board, not bulb, which also likely contains multiple diodes. It is likely the same setup as the CLS.

Of course, we don't know the lumen output of the Corolla vs CLS, but they both managed single projector LED solution that provides adequate light output. Very impressive.
In the pic of the low and high beam projectors of the CLS we can clearly see the small sub-sections of LEDs dividing up the projector overalls, but in the Corolla we don't see anything dividing the oval'ish bulb/projector that I circled, so I doubt it's the same setup. But maybe you're right after all--we probably just need a closer pic of that oval bulb to be able to see the small LEDs inside of it.

Last edited by ydooby; 06-03-13 at 04:41 PM.
Old 06-03-13, 04:42 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

^I think its just various optics that direct lights you're seeing in the CLS projector.

In any case, I didn't mean any offense in my original post. Just was trying to explain (perhaps not very clearly) that single projector solution is generally better, at least without employing tricky gimmicks like Acura jewel headlights that aim lights in narrow angle bands.
Old 06-04-13, 07:03 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Looking forward to the live reveal Thursday.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 Corolla official pics!