Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

OFFICIAL: BMW and Toyota to develop new sports car together

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-13, 10:44 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OFFICIAL: BMW and Toyota to develop new sports car together

It's official now. A co-developed new midsize sports car from the two best companies that complement each other!

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/25/b...ew-sports-car/

BMW, Toyota outline new tech joint venture, new sports car

Back in June, Toyota and BMW announced a "memorandum of understanding" outlining plans for the two companies to join forces on future products and technology development. On Thursday, they signed a more formal and binding agreement that goes further into detail about the partnership, and it all sounds pretty exciting. The two announced they will work together in four main areas:

- Joint development of a fuel cell system
- "Set up a feasibility study to define a joint platform concept for a mid-size sports vehicle"
- Focus on lightweight technology – the agreement mentions reinforced composites that could be used in the aforementioned sports vehicle
- Better batteries – the companies will work to develop a lithium-air battery with a much greater energy density than today's cells.

The most intriguing item is the mention of a "mid-size sports vehicle." The vague term had us wondering what, exactly, is meant by "sports vehicle," but we're being assured this feasibility study is centered on a sports car. Is this the first step toward a Supra revival?

Despite our fervor for all things sports car, however, fuel cell research could prove to be the pact's most important point. Both companies have built advanced fuel research vehicles, with Toyota favoring fuel cells and BMW leaning toward hydrogen-powered, internal combustion. The press release specifically lists fuel cell stacks, hydrogen tanks, motors and batteries as areas of interest. If the two can eventually bring a fuel-cell vehicle to market at an affordable price point, it would be huge news, although there's always the problem of infrastructure to support such cars. BMW and Toyota's new deal can't solve everything though, right?

Press Release

BMW Group and Toyota Motor Corporation Deepen Collaboration by Signing Binding Agreements

Fuel Cell System, Sports Vehicle, Lightweight Technology and Lithium-air Battery Collaboration to Commence

Munich - BMW Group and Toyota Motor Corporation (TMC) are pursuing their successful strategic long-term cooperation in the field of sustainable mobility today by signing binding agreements aimed at long-term collaboration between the two companies for the joint development of a fuel cell system, joint development of architecture and components for a sports vehicle, and joint research and development of lightweight technologies. These agreements follow a memorandum of understanding signed in June 2012.

Furthermore, BMW Group and TMC also today signed a binding agreement to commence collaborative research on lithium-air batteries, a post-lithium-battery solution. This agreement marks the second phase of collaborative research into next-generation lithium-ion battery cells that commenced in March 2012.

The main points of the agreements are:

1. Fuel cell system
The companies are convinced that fuel cell technology is one of the solutions necessary to achieve zero emissions. BMW Group and TMC are to share their technologies and to jointly develop a fundamental fuel-cell vehicle system, including not only a fuel cell stack and system, but also a hydrogen tank, motor and battery, aiming for completion in 2020.
- The companies are to collaborate in jointly developing codes and standards for the hydrogen infrastructure which are necessary for the popularization of fuel cell vehicles.

2. Sports vehicle
The companies agreed to set-up a feasibility study to define a joint platform concept for a mid-size sports vehicle that is to be completed by the end of 2013. The two companies aim to combine each other's technology and knowledge at a high level to maximise customer satisfaction. Both companies are to share the vision to further collaborate in the field of sports vehicle development.

3. Lightweight technology
The companies are to jointly develop lightweight technologies for vehicle bodies using cutting-edge materials such as reinforced composites, with an eye to utilize these technologies in cooperation on the joint development of a sports-vehicle platform as well as other BMW and TMC vehicles.

4. Post-lithium-battery technology
The companies are to begin joint research with a goal to develop a lithium-air battery with energy density greatly exceeding that of current lithium-ion batteries.

Norbert Reithofer, Chairman of the Board of Management of BMW AG said: "TMC and the BMW Group share the same strategic vision of future sustainable mobility. In light of the technological changes ahead, the entire automotive industry faces tremendous challenges, which we also regard as an opportunity. This collaboration is an important building block in keeping both companies on a successful course in the future."

Akio Toyoda, President of TMC said: "It is just over a year since we signed our collaborative MoU, and with each day as our relationship strengthens, we feel acutely that we are making steadfast progress. Now, we are entering the phase that promises the fruit. While placing importance on what we learn from the joint development, we will work hard together in reaching our common goal of making ever-better cars."

BMW Group and TMC first agreed to form a medium-to-long-term collaborative relationship for developing next-generation environment-friendly vehicles and technologies in December 2011, at which time the two companies also signed a contract under which BMW Group is to supply highly efficient diesel engines to Toyota Motor Europe. BMW Group and TMC ― as long-term strategic partners ― have since continued their joint efforts to realize sustainable mobility for the future.

Last edited by ydooby; 01-26-13 at 10:51 PM.
Old 01-26-13, 10:57 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't wait to see the s##tstorm that this will cause on the BMW sites.
Old 01-26-13, 11:47 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Can't wait to see the s##tstorm that this will cause on the BMW sites.
They should be glad that BMW will be working with a reliable and efficient automaker such as Toyota who also holds a large cash reserve and massive R&D department.

Meanwhile we should be so happy to use BMW's Euro pedigree and badge that is so sought after by American and Asian automakers.

Win-Win

Should be one hell of a car should this announcement come to fruition
Old 01-27-13, 12:04 AM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

When do you think it will be ready for production?
Old 01-27-13, 12:06 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UZJ100GXR
When do you think it will be ready for production?
It says the chassis will be ready by the end of this year, so I'm guessing a production car can be ready by 2015.
Old 01-27-13, 03:27 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by ydooby
It says the chassis will be ready by the end of this year, so I'm guessing a production car can be ready by 2015.
I interpret it as the "study" will be done by the end of the year.

With BMW Hinting a M8 is coming and this saying lightweight composites are being used my hunch is this will maybe be a joint venture on the M8/ LFA successor or next Lexus supercar. I just don't see BMW helping with a Supra.

Old 01-27-13, 05:34 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

who knows when on the car.. they are just doing feasibility study... 2017-2018?

Bigger news is BMW using Toyota batteries and fuel cell, and Toyota using BMW's cheap/er carbon fiber process. BMW's carbon fiber factory is coming online end of year I think, and they need batteries for their i3 that will be in for sale end of year, and made of carbon fiber.
Old 01-27-13, 08:34 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I can see my decision in the future, this joint sports car or the new NSX. The future is looking bright
Old 01-27-13, 10:11 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if this is a move to combat VW's (Audi really) momentum in the luxury market.
Old 01-27-13, 10:39 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by xsh0tya
I wonder if this is a move to combat VW's (Audi really) momentum in the luxury market.
I dont think so... Sports car would be low volume...

Main point here is Toyota selling its battery/hybrid/fuelcell stuff to BMW, and Toyota getting diesels from BMW in Europe, and possibly lightweight composites.
Old 01-27-13, 03:18 PM
bagyo
Driver

Man I can't wait! The supposed "New Supra" this partnership(according to Motortrend) is developing should be a beast. Let's all hope it's not too high tech for it's own good. The old Supra has and will always be a brute, raw and uncensored especially with a single turbo conversion. Cross our fingers that emissions regulations and tech geeks won't mess it all up for the real enthusiast.
Old 01-27-13, 03:28 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

say bye bye to reliability
Old 01-27-13, 03:41 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think it's an interesting match up. I can't wait to see what comes out of this!
Old 01-27-13, 04:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

wonder how subaru feels about this?
Old 01-27-13, 04:57 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
wonder how subaru feels about this?
Cheated lol

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL: BMW and Toyota to develop new sports car together