Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Redesigned 2014 Tundra coming to Chicago - February 7

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-13, 10:06 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TF109B
The Ford doesn't look good. I like the rounded front end of the Tundra. The ugly grille is the huge chrome surround. On the 'Platinum' Edition it looks a lot better
Clearly beauty is in the eye of the beholder because I think that Tundra looks ugly as sin.

This is a gorgeous truck

Old 02-07-13, 10:28 PM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Black Tundra reminds me of a Honda Ridgeline.

This is still my favorite pickup truck made by Toyota, made at the same plant as the LX 570 and LC200.

I guess Toyota is playing it ''safe?''. They are probably waiting for the all new Titan and All New F150. In the meantime they must be hard at work engineering and designing the all new fully redesigned Tundra.

Last edited by UZJ100GXR; 02-07-13 at 10:38 PM.
Old 02-07-13, 11:09 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Just looked at a picture of the rear interior. That legroom space looks GINORMOUS! Does anyone actually own, or has driven a crewcab tundra? If so, is the legroom in the back really as massive as the pics show?

It looks as if it is as much legroom as in the long wheelbase luxo sedans...
Old 02-07-13, 11:38 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Clearly beauty is in the eye of the beholder because I think that Tundra looks ugly as sin.

This is a gorgeous truck

to me, Tundra looks simply nicer... really nice design. Ford looks a bit cartoonish. I have always found your foundness for Ford perplexing, but what can we do, we still lova ya buddy

:-)
Old 02-08-13, 12:27 AM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A nice truck but I don't think I will buy one. I will take the current F-150 fx4 over the new Tundra. Just not feeling the front end too much and it looks like Toyota took the Ram, F-150, Silverado, and mix them together to get the new Tundra depending on which angle you're looking at.
Old 02-08-13, 05:51 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

I think the "rounded brick" designs pushed by Honda and Toyota are awful. Slab surfaces meet at creases all over the body. The Honda Pilot design best demonstrates this styling. Squaring a shape does not necessarily make it look "tough".
Old 02-08-13, 06:06 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post AutoNews

Toyota Motor Corp. is making a fresh assault on the full-sized pickup market with a redesigned 2014 Tundra unveiled today at the Chicago Auto Show.

The 2014 model, mechanically very similar to the outgoing Tundra, has undergone significant sheet metal and interior changes. And a new version called the 1794 Edition will give Tundra 2 luxury variations, including a reworked Platinum model that now costs more than $48,000 with options.

But will it be enough to convince truck enthusiasts to buy a Tundra instead of the recent and upcoming redesigns of the Dodge Ram, Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra and Ford F series?

In 2007, with the 2nd-generation Tundra, Toyota targeted annual U.S. large-pickup sales of 200,000 -- which would have nearly doubled its previous high -- as a launching point for greater strides in a segment long dominated by the Detroit 3.

In late 2006, Toyota opened a plant in San Antonio devoted solely to cranking out Tundras.

Toyota nearly hit its target in 2007 when U.S. sales of the Tundra reached 196,555. The company's share of the big pickup market peaked at 9.2% the same year.

Toyota executives talked of blowing out the back wall of the Texas assembly plant, given that the company had purchased plenty of additional land beyond the factory's footprint. There was even talk of a diesel and heavy-duty version.

Rebound from recession?

Then the recession hit, and Tundra sales tumbled to 79,385 units in 2009. Toyota shut its factory in Fremont, Calif., and moved production of Tacoma compact pickups to San Antonio to address the drop in Tundra production and to boost the plant's utilization rate.

Tundra sales have recovered in recent years, rising 23% in 2012 to 101,621, as overall industry light-vehicle demand has rebounded after the downturn. But its share of the segment stood at 6.2% last year. Detroit's 3 automakers control more than 92% of the U.S. large pickup market, where brand loyalty among Ford, Chevrolet and Ram owners runs deep.

U.S. full-sized truck sales will top 1.7 million this year, a gain of more than 50% from 2009's low of 1.1 million, according to forecasts by IHS Automotive and LMC Automotive.

Toyota executives are confident Tundra can return to its 200,000 peak as U.S. housing and commercial activity accelerate. When asked how far beyond that number sales will go, they express more caution.

In an interview at the Detroit auto show in January, Jack Hollis, Toyota's vice president for marketing, said he doesn't want to "fight fire with fire" against Detroit's pickups.

"It's important that we don't try to be who they are. The Tundra is not a domestic-fighter," Hollis said. "The elements of the truck, its size, its worth, its strength ... It's all been proven. But how can we put a competitive truck into the domestic world?"

Attracting Tacoma owners

Although Toyota has done a fair job of attracting Ram owners, it hasn't won many Chevy or Ford converts, Hollis said. Rather, Toyota is hoping to draw upon more owners of the Tacoma -- which has captured 55% of the compact-pickup segment.

"We own that segment, and a lot of them are looking at moving up. Them, and the people who are disenchanted in what they thought they were getting from a domestic truck," Hollis said.

Toyota is also hoping to attract more owners who prefer a more upscale truck.

If there is 1 area Toyota holds sway, it's in demographics. Tundra buyers are the youngest -- with an average age of 50 -- in the light-duty truck segment, except for buyers of the slow-selling Nissan Titan, and Tundra buyers have the highest household income -- nearly $155,000 -- of any light-duty truck, according to the AutoPacific 2012 New Vehicle Satisfaction Study.

The 2014 Tundra will continue to be available in 3 cab configurations and with either 2- or 4-wheel-drive systems. But trim levels have been expanded to 5, and include the base-model SR work truck; SR5; Limited; and top-end Platinum and 1794 Edition trucks.

Platinum is the high-end "urban" Tundra, while the 1794 Edition is a premium rural-use truck, Toyota officials say. The 1794 name refers to the founding year of the San Antonio ranch where Toyota established its Texas pickup plant.

In a nod to the pickup's American roots, the 2014 Tundra remains a U.S.-developed model, with engineering performed in Michigan and exterior and interior design handled in California.

Is it enough?

But for gearheads, the 2014 Tundra may not represent enough of a change.

All 3 engine choices -- a 4.0-liter V-6, 4.6-liter V-8, and 5.7-liter V-8 -- are carryovers, even down to their horsepower and torque numbers. The V-6 continues with a 5-speed automatic, while both V-8s still have a 6-speed automatic.

The curb weight is expected to remain the same and Toyota officials said today they do not expect fuel economy ratings to change, perhaps putting the revised Tundra at a disadvantage against Detroit's newest, more fuel-efficient models.

The steering system was modified for improved straight-line stability, to reduce driver fatigue from a too-busy ride.

Tundra's standard features for 2014 will include Bluetooth connectivity, a backup camera, eight airbags, LED headlamps and automatic climate control.

The exterior design gives the Tundra more visual oomph, with corners squared-off, rather than rounded or smoothed. The fascia is more block-like. The word "Tundra" is stamped prominently into the tailgate. The front and rear bumpers are now 3 pieces, rather than 1, to make the cost of replacing those parts cheaper.

The 2014 Tundra was "inspired by customer feedback requesting a more chiseled exterior and refined interior," Bill Fay, group vice president and general manager, Toyota division, said in a statement.

Ergonomics inside

Inside, Toyota designers concentrated on ergonomics, such as easing the reach to the audio and climate controls by 2.6 inches. The seats have been redesigned. Air flow from the vents has been increased. The console has multiple storage areas. Cabin noise was reduced with more sound-deadening materials.

Standard features will include Bluetooth connectivity, a backup camera, eight airbags, LED headlamps and automatic climate control.

"Tundra's new exterior design and all-new interior were inspired by customer feedback requesting a more chiseled exterior and refined interior with improved driver ergonomics, and easy-to-use technology, giving customers more of what they want, in addition to what they need," Bill Fay, Toyota Division general manager, said in a statement.

The Tundra will go on sale in September. Pricing will be announced closer to launch.

Bradford Wernle and David Phillips contributed to this report

You can reach Mark Rechtin at mrechtin@crain.com. -- Follow Mark on Twitter
Old 02-08-13, 06:22 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

i sure hope that all future Toyota facelifts go like this :-)
Old 02-08-13, 07:44 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

In an interview at the Detroit auto show in January, Jack Hollis, Toyota's vice president for marketing, said he doesn't want to "fight fire with fire" against Detroit's pickups.

"It's important that we don't try to be who they are. The Tundra is not a domestic-fighter," Hollis said. "The elements of the truck, its size, its worth, its strength ... It's all been proven. But how can we put a competitive truck into the domestic world?"
sure looks to me like they're trying to fight fire with fire.

Standard features will include Bluetooth connectivity, a backup camera, eight airbags, LED headlamps and automatic climate control.
nice!
Old 02-08-13, 07:45 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TF109B

Whoa! Get outta my face.

Not so good looking here.
Old 02-08-13, 08:23 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
sure looks to me like they're trying to fight fire with fire.

nice!
I think they're referred to the LED DRL's, not the actual headlamps.
Old 02-08-13, 08:48 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
to me, Tundra looks simply nicer... really nice design. Ford looks a bit cartoonish. I have always found your foundness for Ford perplexing, but what can we do, we still lova ya buddy

:-)
hah it's good to be loved
Old 02-08-13, 10:28 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

I hate the extra inlet above the main grille. So tacky. I like that black edition though, probably because it hides that inlet thing well.

Interior is a major improvement on the other hand.
Old 02-08-13, 10:58 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Not crazy about this refresh overall. I prefer the outgoing body style. The interior, of course, is much better.

That grill is a mess. The headlights are just odd. I prefer the wrap around tail lights of the '07-'13.

Toyota needed to design a more compelling truck to battle with, and IMO, they dropped the ball. They're capable of much better. I guess we'll have to wait for the full redesign.