Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi!!! Why would anyone buy an A5 for 50k?

Old 01-25-13, 12:26 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Given that a IS250c, comparably built, is in the same price range I'm definitely buying the Audi. Also, I agree with those saying that people buying the A5 don't care about power, 0-60, etc., they care about what it looks like on the outside. My friend's sister has an A5 2.0t and she loves it because it looks good, and more importantly (to her), she looks good in it!

Last edited by 92 SC400; 01-25-13 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-25-13, 03:33 AM
zippy99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@CDNROCKIES

>You obviously haven't driven the IS F if you're questioning raw power.<

RS 5, M3, C63. There's your comparison. Not an A5. A5 vs. IS250? No comparison.

>I don't agree that the A5 is even close to the A6 or A7. The A4/6/8 are all extremely similar but I find the A5 and A7 to be the unique cars in their lineup. <

You've left out the S5. Close to the A5? Agreed that the A5 and A7 are unique. The A7 is a stunning car. It's also $20-30k more.
Old 01-25-13, 04:07 AM
zippy99
Driver School Candidate

>I just tried to configure the Audi A5 the way I wanted and got a price of $48,620. I don't know what zippy99 is talking about, the B&O option is not even available at the base level option (premium). You have to go up to premium plus if you want the option of B&O.

You're looking at MSRP, not what people pay. I'm getting Premium Plus and B&O.

>Details:
Picked automatic premium plus engine option. ($42,600!!! ALREADY?)
Added metallic paint ($475), nav ($3,050), sports package ($750), and B&O ($850). That's it. That brought me to $48,620.<

Metallic paint - indistinguishable from non-metallic, except in bright sunlight

Automatic - 6MT instead because I enjoy driving a car, but there's nothing wrong with automatics

Nav - I have two Navs and didn't want to pay 3K for a third

Sports package - nicer seats but (obviously) stiffer ride. I'm looking for the softer, Lexus-like, ride and opted out

>Those of you quoting $42k are obviously OKAY with barebones car and that's fine. But don't say that 50k pricings are nonsense when optioning out with simple things brings the total there easily. It is a fact that German's pricings on their models easily skyrocket just optioning a few things.<

We have differing opinions on what constitutes "bare bones". A car without Nav and with a softer suspension, to me is not bare bones but I can appreciate that you expect more.

I agree that the German option pricing can skyrocket the price. It's how they make money, but if you can make some compromises on what is "bare bones", then you don't have to pay anything extra than what you really need. To paraphrase, "Front only the essentials".
Old 01-25-13, 05:13 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

its not near 50k but its not near the starting 37k unless you want a bare bones featureless car
Old 01-25-13, 06:12 AM
zippy99
Driver School Candidate

>its not near 50k but its not near the starting 37k unless you want a bare bones featureless car<

If a thread was started on an Audi forum with the title, "Why would anyone buy an IS 350 for 50K?" and then pointed out for less than that price you could get a much better looking car that was featureless but was great to drive I'd expect a similar customer profile split.
Old 01-25-13, 06:56 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Squirrelz
I just tried to configure the Audi A5 the way I wanted and got a price of $48,620. I don't know what zippy99 is talking about, the B&O option is not even available at the base level option (premium). You have to go up to premium plus if you want the option of B&O.

Details:
Picked automatic premium plus engine option. ($42,600!!! ALREADY?)
Added metallic paint ($475), nav ($3,050), sports package ($750), and B&O ($850). That's it. That brought me to $48,620.

Those of you quoting $42k are obviously OKAY with barebones car and that's fine. But don't say that 50k pricings are nonsense when optioning out with simple things brings the total there easily. It is a fact that German's pricings on their models easily skyrocket just optioning a few things.
LOL you're talking about a $3000 navi option and a $1000 500W 14-speaker stereo system as "simple things".

Premium Plus is nicely equipped as is. Bare bones? Really? A BMW 320i with leatherette and manual seats is what I would call bare bones at $33k.

I don't even have navigation in my E93. The BMW nav stinks so why pay thousands for it? My iPhone works way better. The only reason we have nav in our X5 is because it pretty much came for free. It really is awful. We mostly stick to using our phones.
Old 01-25-13, 07:03 AM
zippy99
Driver School Candidate

^
Nail, meet head.
Old 01-25-13, 12:03 PM
Squirrelz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by zippy99
>

You're looking at MSRP, not what people pay. I'm getting Premium Plus and B&O.
I should be looking at MSRP, I know it is not what people pay, but it is a baseline of what to expect. You can't base a price of a car off a deal YOU can get. Not everyone can get the same deal you can, so when it comes to conversations, MSRP is a guideline that people can compare with. Shooting off prices of a car and not mentioning it is a specific deal YOU can get leads people to believe that it is MSRP. It is as if you're trying to make Audi's sound a lot cheaper than they really are when they aren't.
Old 01-25-13, 12:30 PM
zippy99
Driver School Candidate

^
Why you might want to reconsider using msrp to gauge the cost of a car. It's not just a specific "deal":

(From CarsDirect)

"Sticker Price

Here's where the difference in pricing is most noticeable and relevant. The sticker price of the car is the amount the dealer is looking to get on the car. Often, they will also list how much the invoice price was, to show that their prices are fair, as well as the MSRP, to show that the asking price may be lower. Seeing a lower sticker than the MSRP gives the buyer a feeling that he or she may be getting a good deal. However, don't be taken in. It is common for dealers to sell cars for less than MSRP and still come out ahead according to their invoice prices. One may ask how a dealer can sell a car they bought for x dollars for that same amount and still make a profit? Dealers get incentives and rebates from the manufacturers that end up allowing them to make a profit. Buyers may not know this and think they are getting a great deal, when in fact they had much more room to negotiate. is the amount the dealer is looking to get on the car. Often, they will also list how much the invoice price was, to show that their prices are fair, as well as the MSRP, to show that the asking price may be lower. Seeing a lower sticker than the MSRP gives the buyer a feeling that he or she may be getting a good deal. However, don't be taken in. It is common for dealers to sell cars for less than MSRP and still come out ahead according to their invoice prices. One may ask how a dealer can sell a car they bought for x dollars for that same amount and still make a profit? Dealers get incentives and rebates from the manufacturers that end up allowing them to make a profit. Buyers may not know this and think they are getting a great deal, when in fact they had much more room to negotiate."
Old 01-25-13, 02:34 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I have driven every new Audi except for the R & A7. I don't like the looks of any of them except the S5 I drove & after driving a A4 turbo I wouldn't drive any car with that engine. Still have my 07 IS350.
Old 01-25-13, 03:38 PM
Squirrelz
Pole Position

^
Why you might want to reconsider using msrp to gauge the cost of a car. It's not just a specific "deal":

(From CarsDirect)

"Sticker Price

Here's where the difference in pricing is most noticeable and relevant. The sticker price of the car is the amount the dealer is looking to get on the car. Often, they will also list how much the invoice price was, to show that their prices are fair, as well as the MSRP, to show that the asking price may be lower. Seeing a lower sticker than the MSRP gives the buyer a feeling that he or she may be getting a good deal. However, don't be taken in. It is common for dealers to sell cars for less than MSRP and still come out ahead according to their invoice prices. One may ask how a dealer can sell a car they bought for x dollars for that same amount and still make a profit? Dealers get incentives and rebates from the manufacturers that end up allowing them to make a profit. Buyers may not know this and think they are getting a great deal, when in fact they had much more room to negotiate. is the amount the dealer is looking to get on the car. Often, they will also list how much the invoice price was, to show that their prices are fair, as well as the MSRP, to show that the asking price may be lower. Seeing a lower sticker than the MSRP gives the buyer a feeling that he or she may be getting a good deal. However, don't be taken in. It is common for dealers to sell cars for less than MSRP and still come out ahead according to their invoice prices. One may ask how a dealer can sell a car they bought for x dollars for that same amount and still make a profit? Dealers get incentives and rebates from the manufacturers that end up allowing them to make a profit. Buyers may not know this and think they are getting a great deal, when in fact they had much more room to negotiate."
Again, it is a baseline used to guide conversations. A standard if you will. If we start throwing out prices/deals each person can get, we can't really standardize or gauge the price of a car to compare vs others. Otherwise, I'll say I can get a 2013 IS350 Fsport with nav for under $40k. How does that look? Others will say oh I can get it for 42k, 43k, 44k, 41k maybe 38k?. You see where I am going with this? It doesn't give you a standard price at which a car costs. Stick to MSRP and leave deals out so people can compare prices of cars.
Old 01-25-13, 03:49 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

Originally Posted by J.P.
Going about this all wrong...........

The real issue is, 50k isnt jack **** anymore

Sad truth.... The dollar has been devalued horribly, especially the last ten years.

Another reason I appreciate what I have and keep my 21 year old car as close to new as possible. I ain't spending no 30+ grand on a newer car, regardless of how much I make.
Old 01-25-13, 03:49 PM
zippy99
Driver School Candidate

>Otherwise, I'll say I can get a 2013 IS350 Fsport with nav for under $40k. How does that look?<

If true, it may say something about the real market value of the IS350 F Sport.
Old 01-25-13, 03:55 PM
zippy99
Driver School Candidate

>Another reason I appreciate what I have and keep my 21 year old car as close to new as possible.<

As far as I'm concerned, you have a classic dream car. It will always be awesome, and I wish they were still being sold.
Old 01-25-13, 04:48 PM
Squirrelz
Pole Position

>Otherwise, I'll say I can get a 2013 IS350 Fsport with nav for under $40k. How does that look?<

If true, it may say something about the real market value of the IS350 F Sport.
You totally missed the point... Nevermind....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Audi!!! Why would anyone buy an A5 for 50k?