Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi!!! Why would anyone buy an A5 for 50k?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-13, 06:18 PM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 01-23-13, 07:04 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everything about the car looks fantastic but my friend has had 2 Audi's with the 2.0T engine, both burn oil and the dealer says its pretty common.
Old 01-23-13, 07:19 PM
mrraider
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BoDarville
The new one's faster. Of course the g37, 328i and s60 are even faster. Still, for the price, an a4 is better equipped than a 328i or c300.
Old 01-23-13, 09:57 PM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A friend just got a brand new 328i sedan M pack with Navi for 45k drive out. 0-60 5.8sec top speeds 155 mph. It's not really bad. The reason people buy the A5 with 2.0T which they love the A5 looks so bad and when they test drive it's not that slow but acceptable. When people are wanting to buy the A5 they are looking for positive about A5 but not negative about it. But I bet a lot of people will be regret later on.

Last edited by EthanV; 01-23-13 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-24-13, 05:08 AM
zippy99
Driver School Candidate

I've been wanting to buy a Lexus for a long, long time and just recently ordered a 2013 A5 Coupe. I'm reading these comments and they're all very accurate:

-Yes, I'm concerned about repairs. Lexus wins. I may regret this.

-SteVTEC hits the nail on the head several times. It's not about hp, it's about torque. For such a poorly rated engine, it's really great driving. Also, if you're willing to order and wait, a new A5 can be had for the low $40's

-People like me, now that they've made their decision, are prone to cognitive dissonance - as Ethan says, they'll only look for information that supports their purchase. Both sides are represented here.

-Think about it. A Corvette may have more horsepower, but in real world driving how often can you use it? All this talk of hp on a Lexus forum is strange, because this brand is not known for performance for good reason (compared to German or American muscle cars). Reliability yes, raw power, no (please, no flames - I've driven the IS models)

-$50K for a 210hp 4 cylinder engine is absurd. I wouldn't pay that much either. I agree 100% with the OP.

-Audi has done something very clever. The $40-$50 A5 is styled very much like the $60-$70K S5, A6 & A7. The Lexus IS (imho) will never be mistaken for a GS. Talk about aspirational!
Old 01-24-13, 05:40 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
http://models.audiusa.com/a5-coupe

Starting at $37k

Where's this 50k nonsense coming from?
until you have to add on basic options that come standard on most cars:
$850 for HIDs
$1000 for bluetooth, garage door opener, ipod integration
$475 for pearl/metallic paint

If you want to have navigation or sport packages available you have to start with the Premium Plus model which now starts at 42k, not 37k. Then if you want the S Line package similar to F Sport you have to start off with Prestige which now starts at 47k. Yes you can get get an A5 for 37k, just a bare bones one. German cars are the king of nickel and diming
Old 01-24-13, 06:27 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

$37k + $1000 for Bluetooth and the other convenience stuff is still nowhere close to $50k, try again. I'll give you the Bluetooth point because hands-free talking while driving is becoming a legal requirements in a lot of states including where I live, but HIDs don't come standard on most entry level German cars, and nobody is forcing you to buy metallic paint either.
Old 01-24-13, 06:40 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BoDarville
Lord the IS numbers are terrible.Hey Lexus just a little more hp/torque please. I probaly wouldn't pay 50k for a new A5 either. One thing you can say about the A5 is that it's a beautiful car.I guess it all depends on what a person is look for in a car. If I had to purchase my CL550 again I wouldn't do it. Over 1k payments per month and all the car does is sit in the garage 5 days a week. On second thought I probaly would pay 50k for an A5 but regret it later.
Old 01-24-13, 06:40 AM
zippy99
Driver School Candidate

^

42K is not $50K. SteVTEC is spot on. The 50K is nonsense.

That 42K includes HID, premium B&O 14 speaker 505W stereo, bluetooth and voice dialing, garage opener, wood inlays, advanced key, ipod integration, heated seats, 3 zone climate control, heated side mirrors with memory, dual memory drivers seat,

Yes, Germans are kings of nickel and diming, but it's still not 50K. It's a lot less.
Old 01-24-13, 06:54 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
until you have to add on basic options that come standard on most cars:
$850 for HIDs
$1000 for bluetooth, garage door opener, ipod integration
$475 for pearl/metallic paint

If you want to have navigation or sport packages available you have to start with the Premium Plus model which now starts at 42k, not 37k. Then if you want the S Line package similar to F Sport you have to start off with Prestige which now starts at 47k. Yes you can get get an A5 for 37k, just a bare bones one. German cars are the king of nickel and diming
its 56k for top model.... i can imagine how many people would complain if lexus sold 4cly for 56k :-).

People are already saying that IS 350 F-Sport should be 40k.
Old 01-24-13, 06:58 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 210hp debate for 50k is interesting and reminds me of the audio world.

For the audiophiles out there you will understand.

How many times have you seen tiny bookshelf speakers for like $2000 each, and next to it is some 48” tall floor standing speakers, with 4 mids\bass, bi-amp, for $1000 each.

Then you say, why would I spend twice as much for this tiny little speaker that won’t be as loud as these floor standing speakers for less.

The A5 brings a lot to table, for those that don’t care about HP, it has everything else.
Old 01-24-13, 06:58 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by zippy99
I've been wanting to buy a Lexus for a long, long time and just recently ordered a 2013 A5 Coupe. I'm reading these comments and they're all very accurate:
Congrats on the new car.

-Yes, I'm concerned about repairs. Lexus wins. I may regret this.
Statistically your probability is greater according to all reporting agencies. That being said, there is no way to know whether you will have a problematic vehicle or not. There are tons of perfect cars with every manufacturer.....some just have a few more problems than others. [/quote]

-SteVTEC hits the nail on the head several times. It's not about hp, it's about torque. For such a poorly rated engine, it's really great driving. Also, if you're willing to order and wait, a new A5 can be had for the low $40's
This has been my issue with Audi, aside from the terrible customer service (though my visit last weekend actually encouraged me a bit), is the length of time it takes to get a vehicle. The dealerships I have shopped at carry limited inventory and rarely have the exact configuration I'm looking for. I'm not prepared to wait the 5 months they tell me it will take for a car to be delivered. Lexus took 2 months for my IS F. BMW took 6 weeks for my X5, both customer ordered.

-People like me, now that they've made their decision, are prone to cognitive dissonance - as Ethan says, they'll only look for information that supports their purchase. Both sides are represented here.
Human nature.

Read every forum and you'll see this consistently.

-Think about it. A Corvette may have more horsepower, but in real world driving how often can you use it? All this talk of hp on a Lexus forum is strange, because this brand is not known for performance for good reason (compared to German or American muscle cars). Reliability yes, raw power, no (please, no flames - I've driven the IS models)
You obviously haven't driven the IS F if you're questioning raw power.

-$50K for a 210hp 4 cylinder engine is absurd. I wouldn't pay that much either. I agree 100% with the OP.
Agreed.

-Audi has done something very clever. The $40-$50 A5 is styled very much like the $60-$70K S5, A6 & A7. The Lexus IS (imho) will never be mistaken for a GS. Talk about aspirational!
I don't agree that the A5 is even close to the A6 or A7. The A4/6/8 are all extremely similar but I find the A5 and A7 to be the unique cars in their lineup.
Old 01-24-13, 08:23 PM
LexFather

Yup. Audi is selling as many A5/S5s and G37 coupes with none of the huge incentives or leases of the G. It is high in demand and people want it. Peak HP ratings don't mean much to a lot of the market and it isn't a weak 4 cylinder. For those that value a Hp rating the G37 offers 330hp for less.

Old 01-24-13, 09:02 PM
fasteddy91
Lead Lap

I'm about to pull the trigger on special ordering an A5 Premium plus package 6spd manual with sport seats/suspension, HID, premium B&O 14 speaker 505W stereo, bluetooth and voice dialing, garage opener, advanced key, ipod integration, heated seats, 3 zone climate control, heated side mirrors with memory, dual memory drivers seat for around 41k plus TTL
Old 01-24-13, 11:43 PM
Squirrelz
Pole Position

I just tried to configure the Audi A5 the way I wanted and got a price of $48,620. I don't know what zippy99 is talking about, the B&O option is not even available at the base level option (premium). You have to go up to premium plus if you want the option of B&O.

Details:
Picked automatic premium plus engine option. ($42,600!!! ALREADY?)
Added metallic paint ($475), nav ($3,050), sports package ($750), and B&O ($850). That's it. That brought me to $48,620.

Those of you quoting $42k are obviously OKAY with barebones car and that's fine. But don't say that 50k pricings are nonsense when optioning out with simple things brings the total there easily. It is a fact that German's pricings on their models easily skyrocket just optioning a few things.

Quick Reply: Audi!!! Why would anyone buy an A5 for 50k?