Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Marchionne on Alfa's US return, Dodge Dart's powertrain weakness and minivan plans

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-13, 09:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mat305
I wouldn't own an alfa if they gave me one. LOL
Why not actually go see and drive the car for yourself before you make an all-inclusive statement like that? The Dart may have an Alfa (Giulietta) based platform, but you will find that there are also notable differences....especially inside.
Old 01-22-13, 09:39 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

he is not that wrong :-)

I was interested in G when it came out, because design is so nice and on paper it is nice car with 1.4 Turbo... but then their DCT started breaking on every car they sold, so people had rebuilt transmissions with 10k miles on the cars...
Old 05-22-13, 02:27 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Marchionne offers belated apology for 'wop engine' comment

Marchionne offers belated apology for 'wop engine' comment

Automotive News reports Fiat-Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne has issued a written apology for his comments regarding his decision to stick with an Italian engine for the upcoming Alfa Romeo 4C. As you may recall, back in January, Marchionne was quoted as saying, "I cannot come up with a schlock product, I just won't. I won't put an American engine into that car. With all due respect to my American friends, it has to be a wop engine." The CEO penned an apology to the Italian American ONE VOICE Coalition for using the racial epithet, saying that he made the comment in jest. Marchionne also said he realizes his remarks were unacceptable.

ONE VOICE, an organization aimed at fighting discrimination and stereotyping of Italian Americans, thanked Marchionne, Chrysler and Fiat for the apology. Marchionne is an Italian-born Canadian citizen, and he's gotten in trouble for other comments in the past. In 2011, he called high interest rates Chrysler was paying to the Canadian government "shyster rates." He apologized a day later.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/05/22/m...ngine-comment/
Old 05-22-13, 07:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I won't put an American engine into that car. With all due respect to my American friends, it has to be a wop engine."

The CEO penned an apology to the Italian American ONE VOICE Coalition for using the racial epithet
I won't speak for others, but I'm from a half-Italian background myself (my late mother's side of the family), and I'm not the least bit offended by that term....so, for me, IMO, an apology is not needed.

On the other hand, what is important, IMO, is the thread-topic....what kind of engines (Italian or not) that actually go into the company's products.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-22-13 at 08:35 PM.