Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM's Reuss says rear-wheel drive Scion FR-S rival "on the list"

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-13, 09:21 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
They were sales failures though... probably because they were not world cars plus they never got anywhere close to the praise that GT86 did... what Toyota/Subaru managed to do is sell GT86 worldwide too, only 20-30% of the sales are from US (or close to it, not official figures).
Well, in the United States, the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky were selling in greater numbers in their respective life cycles than the Scion FR-S and Subaru BRZ are today. In the first full year of production, Pontiac sold 19,710 (2006) units and Saturn moved 11,263 (2007) units. From March to December the FR-S has sold around 11,000 units and Subaru sold around 4,000 units. Obviously, that's not a full year of sales, but it's the majority of a year.

What I find interesting is that product enthusiasm can be so heavily manipulated by the automotive press. As usual, they are down on domestic-branded vehicles, and their headlines show this bias.
Old 01-18-13, 09:48 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Outrage
Well, in the United States, the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky were selling in greater numbers in their respective life cycles than the Scion FR-S and Subaru BRZ are today. In the first full year of production, Pontiac sold 19,710 (2006) units and Saturn moved 11,263 (2007) units. From March to December the FR-S has sold around 11,000 units and Subaru sold around 4,000 units. Obviously, that's not a full year of sales, but it's the majority of a year.

What I find interesting is that product enthusiasm can be so heavily manipulated by the automotive press. As usual, they are down on domestic-branded vehicles, and their headlines show this bias.
Problem with GM and most of their products, is that they over-hype the PR's and under deliver. They think all that they need to do is PR and thats it.

It is just like you mentioning March, when BRZ/FRS started selling in... June. So they sold 16k in 6 months, in the USA only.
And again, they are selling world wide... so their numbers are ending up 3x better overall. They are maxing out their factory production and there are waiting lists around the world.

Plus, those cars never received same praise... they were never judged as good.

But no, GM being GM and Lutz being Lutz, they think they can PR whatever they want, and thats the end of it... lol.
Old 01-18-13, 12:12 PM
fly2low
Driver

I will take "small" and "light weight" from GM with a grain of salt. They only light car for the class that they have is Corvette.

The Camaro-like high belt line certainly doesn't invoke the image of lightweightness.
Old 01-18-13, 01:40 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

I say, bring it. This and the new Miata will put up a good fight with FR-S.
Old 01-18-13, 02:14 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

The FT86 didn't even go on sale until June, in a TOUGHER economy than 2006.
Old 01-18-13, 04:16 PM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
The FT86 didn't even go on sale until June, in a TOUGHER economy than 2006.
So, Toyota's estimates for 20,000 units (FR-S) per year is fairly accurate.
Old 01-18-13, 04:33 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

yeah... they cant produce more even if they wanted... since the car sells worldwide and it has won so many awards and got so much praise that they dont have enough production capacity.

that the secret ingredient that GM usually misses - it is not enough to do a PR, but you have to make great car.
Old 01-19-13, 06:53 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

They have the hardware. Alpha underpins the ATS and undercuts the competition in weight by a significant margin. GM also has a better set of powertrains to choose from than the weak sauce boxer in the Subaru. Whether that idiot Ackerson will actually green light the car is a different story. The Sky/Solstice is begging for a successor. Around here, used LNF Solstices sell at ridiculous prices.
Old 01-19-13, 01:08 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I hope if they do put it into production they get the packaging right. The Sky/Solstice sucked in that regard. They had a trunk that would accomidate a couple of FedEx letters, ergonomics in the interior were bad, the interior was cramped(I'm all of 5'7" and 160lbs), hated the seating position, etc, etc, etc.
Old 01-19-13, 02:49 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I think GM may be able to produce something similar....
The Solstice, when compared to other small sport-oriented cars in reviews, was often panned for iffy handling characteristics, questionable steering feel, and a lousy transmission - among other criticisms. So it really depends what you mean by "similar".

For example, I don't doubt GM can produce a car targeting the FT-86 platform that could be cheaper, might have more horsepower, and even be a bit faster in acceleration spec times. That's not what I meant by "resembling' in my last post though, because it's the important characteristics of a small sports car - namely driver engagement - that I don't think GM can do.

Last edited by gengar; 01-19-13 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-19-13, 05:41 PM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Side profile looks very familiar...

and...

(OT: My sister once had one of those Neon Sport Coupes. With the 5-speed and DOHC engine it had a nice oomph to it! She loved it while she had it!)
Old 04-09-14, 08:27 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Production-Spec Chevy Code 130R Digitally Imagined

Click here to enlarge photo

At one point, rumors were flying around that GM was very interested in the creation of a compact rear-wheel drive coupe that was to reportedly draw inspiration from the aggressive Code 130R concept.

However, later hints suggested that even if GM was going to take on the task of making such a car, it was not going to look like the concept, but it would use a modified (shortened) version of the platform that underpins the Cadillac ATS.

Engines-wise, it would come with all manner of small displacement turbocharged units, with the base consisting of any number of Opel-based sub-2.0-liter alternatives.

Automotive photo manipulator X-Tomi thought the Code concept was worthy of production in only slightly altered form, and has gone forth and created what he thinks it would look like.

In spite of the rumors that warned against the concept’s design, we say it would not be a bad way for the Chevrolet brand to go, and the car, if priced correctly, it could have the potential to become a hit.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/04/pro...code-130r.html
Old 04-09-14, 09:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

A couple of years ago, Chevy displayed that RWD sport-coupe concept, alongside a couple of other Chevy concepts, at the D.C. Auto Show (I assume, of course, among other shows as well). They took votes from the public, there at the shows, as to which of the concepts was preferred. Of course, back then, the BR-Z and FR-S were not the factors they are today.
Old 04-09-14, 09:44 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, in 2013 Toyota sold 18,327 in the US and 1,825 in Canada.

That gives us a total number of 20,152 for North America.
Old 04-09-14, 10:06 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Finally figured out what it reminds me of, a 1-Series in Chevy attire

Quick Reply: GM's Reuss says rear-wheel drive Scion FR-S rival "on the list"