Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ward's 10 Best Interiors.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-13, 04:10 PM
fly2low
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't be upset. I suspect that the rater is an engineer/tech-oriented person as opposed to a designer. Emphasis is heavy on features and gadgetry as opposed to material, built quality, and ergonomics.
Old 01-17-13, 07:55 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by fly2low
Don't be upset. I suspect that the rater is an engineer/tech-oriented person as opposed to a designer. Emphasis is heavy on features and gadgetry as opposed to material, built quality, and ergonomics.
As an engineer, that makes absolutely no sense. Engineers would be expected to fixate on material quality, build quality, ergonomics and usable features, not gimmicks and gadgets for the sake of trying to impress those who are too easily impressed.
Old 01-17-13, 08:08 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

That list was horrid, I can say though the Infiniti JX and Audi A7 do have nice interiors but the , Hyundai Azera (haven't even seen one on the road), Chevrolet Sonic and Dodge Dart get the heck out of here, I have yet to sit in a Dart but the production pictures do not look good to me. The new GS should be part of this list and the new Toyota RAV4.
Old 01-17-13, 08:15 PM
mrraider
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexusChris
That list was horrid, I can say though the Infiniti JX and Audi A7 do have nice interiors but the , Hyundai Azera (haven't even seen one on the road), Chevrolet Sonic and Dodge Dart get the heck out of here, I have yet to sit in a Dart but the production pictures do not look good to me. The new GS should be part of this list and the new Toyota RAV4.
the Sonic has a nice interior compared to it's brethren, Accent, Versa, Yaris
Old 01-17-13, 08:52 PM
fly2low
Driver

Originally Posted by Sulu
As an engineer, that makes absolutely no sense. Engineers would be expected to fixate on material quality, build quality, ergonomics and usable features, not gimmicks and gadgets for the sake of trying to impress those who are too easily impressed.
As long as it is within specs, right?
Old 01-18-13, 10:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
it is on the list.

Can't agree with you mmarshall on the Equus, that center shifter area and center dash look extremely cheap and downmarket with a dated design and lots of cheap hard plastic. It is really an eyesore in a nice car. Buttons and ***** look cheap too. The rear of the Equus looks much more upscale and almost like from a more upscale car. Some lower end Hyundai's have nicer dash/shifter areas then the Equus.
Originally Posted by spwolf
it has cheap interior for the price... several long term reviews such as AutoBlog and Edmunds reported that their leather seats started peeling after 6 months.
OK...no problem. Your opinions noted. Long-term durability may be another issue (when I reviewed the Equus, of course, it was only during one day). By my tastes, I found the cabin-looks to be quite stunning....but then again, I usually like lots of wood or wood-tone paneling.
Old 01-18-13, 04:11 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree with Mike. Buick, despite its image being stereotyped as the ride of choice for the retired, offers some of the most amazing interior styling across the line of any automaker. My favorite is the Enclave, that breaks new ground in the look of the three-row SUV-let. The fact that they can bring it in at what passes for a moderate price today is simply amazing.
Old 01-19-13, 12:27 AM
fly2low
Driver

Originally Posted by Lil4X
I agree with Mike. Buick, despite its image being stereotyped as the ride of choice for the retired, offers some of the most amazing interior styling across the line of any automaker. My favorite is the Enclave, that breaks new ground in the look of the three-row SUV-let. The fact that they can bring it in at what passes for a moderate price today is simply amazing.
Okay, the car has a lot of features. It also has an array of luxury oriented materials like leather, wood, chrome, and serious sound insulation. However, in a recent test drive i wasnt impressed by the execution. Plenty of plastic everywhere and no attention to small details like cheap sounding turning signal relay. For me, this is not valued as a $40+ car. Car i drove was stickered at close to 50.
Old 01-19-13, 09:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by fly2low
Okay, the car has a lot of features. It also has an array of luxury oriented materials like leather, wood, chrome, and serious sound insulation. However, in a recent test drive i wasnt impressed by the execution. Plenty of plastic everywhere and no attention to small details like cheap sounding turning signal relay. For me, this is not valued as a $40+ car. Car i drove was stickered at close to 50.
Yes, I've said that before about the Enclave, especially when I reviewed one a few years ago. Much of the Enclave's interior beauty is simply plastic with a coat of surface-glitz/chrome and fake wood....though that lovely steering wheel is true-wood. Still, IMO, it's hard to beat the Enclave's sheer interior looks...plastic-underneath or not, the beauty of all that wood-tone, chrome, and brushed-metal hits you almost like getting in a Rolls-Royce. You rarely see interiors like that any more in today's cars short of the mega-luxury-range. Lil4X is right.
Old 01-19-13, 10:01 AM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

4. 2012 Hyundai Accent
2. 2012 Chevrolet Sonic

Who put that list together?

They placed 2012 Range Rover Evoque on 6th ? Has way better interior (IMO) than those cheap eco-boxes.
Old 01-19-13, 10:33 AM
fly2low
Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, I've said that before about the Enclave, especially when I reviewed one a few years ago. Much of the Enclave's interior beauty is simply plastic with a coat of surface-glitz/chrome and fake wood....though that lovely steering wheel is true-wood. Still, IMO, it's hard to beat the Enclave's sheer interior looks...plastic-underneath or not, the beauty of all that wood-tone, chrome, and brushed-metal hits you almost like getting in a Rolls-Royce. You rarely see interiors like that any more in today's cars short of the mega-luxury-range. Lil4X is right.
I'd call the aesthetic as classic american luxury. It is interesting that GM chose Buick for this purpose and made Cadillac goes techno bang bang boogie.
Old 01-19-13, 11:33 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

im shocked to not be able to find Jaguar XJ on there
how can you not call this the top 10 most beautiful interior there is for a high production car

or the BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe
Old 01-19-13, 03:10 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mrraider
the Sonic has a nice interior compared to it's brethren, Accent, Versa, Yaris
The Yaris has far better materials in its interior than the Sonic or Accent do.
Old 01-19-13, 06:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UberNoob
how can you not call this the top 10 most beautiful interior there is for a high production car
I agree that Jag does classy interiors, but I think that the last-generation ones were better than their latest models. The new interiors, while still rather impressive, have lost too much of their wood paneling, and the leather, though not exactly cheap, is noticeably lower-grade than before. There are (and were) also some weird controls in both the old and new interiors, such as the older J-gate shift-levers and the new pop-up rotate-**** for the gear-selector. Seems like Jag never has gotten the shift levers right.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-19-13 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-19-13, 10:11 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by UberNoob
The XJ is nice, but Jaguar in general is low production compared to other automakers

Quick Reply: Ward's 10 Best Interiors.