Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Shelby unveils tuned Ford Focus ST, widebody GT500 Super Snake

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-13, 02:41 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Shelby unveils tuned Ford Focus ST, widebody GT500 Super Snake

Shelby unveils tuned Ford Focus ST, widebody GT500 Super Snake

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/shelb...photo-5574727/

Shelby American has made its name tuning various Ford products, and now the Focus ST can be added to this list. Just introduced at the Detroit Auto Show, the Shelby Focus ST doesn't add any extra horsepower under the hood, but it should still make sizable gains in performance thanks to an upgraded suspension, brakes and exhaust systems. Also on hand at the Shelby display was a widebody version of the powerful Shelby GT500 Super Snake.

Starting with the already-quick Focus ST, Shelby adds Ford Racing suspension components and bigger brakes with cross-drilled rotors, all finished off with a Borla exhaust system incorporating larger, circular outlets. Cheesy body graphics aside, some of the styling enhancements include functional hood vents, a hatch spoiler, unique interior bits and wider wheels and tires. Shelby does mention a tuning option that will increase the engine's 252-horsepower output to more than 300, although no pricing is mentioned. Speaking of price, Shelby says this souped-up hot hatch will carry a "budget minded price" (*ahem*). What is that you ask? Well, after you buy a 2013 Focus ST from your local Ford dealer (base price: $23,700), the Shelby upgrades will cost an extra $14,995. Production of these cars will be limited to just 500 units.

As for the Super Snake, Shelby is giving the car a wider optional body kit to accommodate the 10-inch front and 13-inch rear wheels. Customer can choose just the wider units at the rear or at all four corners. Opting for a "stock" 662-hp Super Snake will cost $28,995 on top of the cost of the Ford Shelby GT500, and if you're really flush with disposable income, there's a tuned 850-hp version for $39,995 (the widebody package is an extra $14,995).

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/15/s...-detroit-2013/
Old 01-15-13, 05:30 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

$39K for the Shelby Focus ST is just silly IMO.....and that's with no HP gain.
Old 05-09-13, 05:55 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

When the 2013 Shelby Focus ST revealed its menacing face at the Detroit auto show earlier this year, one colossal question remained: “$40k for a Focus?” What made it worse was that, at the time, no engine upgrade was available, making the $14,995 premium on top of the regular Focus ST purely about improved handling and aesthetical madness.

Now, however, an engine upgrade is available. The original ST pumps out 252 hp, but Shelby’s overdue renovation boosts the turbocharged 2.0-liter to 275 hp - a rather stout figure for a front-wheel drive hatchback. But when I turned up at the Shelby American headquarters in Las Vegas, company president, John Luft, informed me that the Shelby Focus ST now boasts over 300 hp, and I would be the first (non-employee) to sample its eager bite.

In fact, the motor upgrade had only been completed the night before I arrived, and the folks at Shelby were intrigued to learn my thoughts: “Here are the keys,” said Luft. “If you’re not back by 3.30pm, I’ll know it’s gotten the better of you,” he laughed.

“Either that, or I enjoyed myself so much I drove it back home to Indianapolis,” I jokingly replied -- although I won’t pretend the thought didn’t cross my mind.

Exiting the building, the embellished Focus gleamed in the parking lot. There was no mistaking it, dressed in traditional Shelby blue and white and boasting rally-like numbers and decals; “98” represents the late Carroll Shelby’s number. The huge Shelby/Borla twin-exhaust, sporty hood vents and sleek carbon-fiber rear wing, made the petit “pocket-rocket” look like Popeye ingesting copious amounts of spinach. While it might be too “boy-racer” for some, it garners serious attention from many.

The term “pocket-rocket” was often thrown around during my trip. It’s worth remembering that, while a tuned Focus may seem decidedly un-Shelby, Carroll had a distinct appetite for the hot-hatch; in 1986 he took the Dodge Omni and turned it into the notorious Shelby GLHS. After Carroll Shelby’s death, almost one year ago to the day, Shelby American returned to the former chicken farmer’s roots, offering the Shelby Focus ST and the incredible 575 hp Shelby Raptor.

“We’ve had many people write to us saying how Carroll would be turning in his grave if he knew we were tuning hatchbacks and trucks,” Luft told me. “It’s crazy, because Carroll loved to tune vehicles like this.”

Climbing behind the wheel, Shelby logos festooned the cabin. A touch of a button brought all 300 horses to life, evoking a sound like a provoked T-Rex feasting upon Jeff Goldblum.

Accelerating out of the parking lot, the first thought through my head was: “Man, this thing’s fast,” as I witnessed the traction control light flicker wildly throughout third gear. A few milliseconds after enjoying the hooligan-esque sensations, the vicious tug of the steering wheel became apparent; with stiffer motor mounts, Shelby claims to have tamed the Focus’s torque-steer by 50 percent -- adding 50 hp did, however, do plenty to eradicate those improvements. The borderline silly power is derived from intercooler, turbo, and exhaust modifications. As Luft told me: “Stock motors, no matter how good they are from the factory, always provide plenty for us to tweak.”

Under heavy power, the sound of Goldblum’s crushing bones captivated. Turbo lag remained noticeable until you rise above 3,500 rpm, but once you hit that figure, the Shelby wheels and tires chirped louder than a budgie during mating season. Hitting the brakes, the car stopped with remarkable efficiency, thanks to specific Shelby spec brakes and rotors. The pedal, however, was grabby, making slow stops embarrassingly jerky.

And despite Shelby’s installation of its short-throw shifter, the 6-speed manual transmission felt rubbery and long, not unlike the stock STs. But the more I drove the car, the less I cared about grabby brakes, sloppy gears, and massive torque-steer; in fact, the feel of the torque-steer improved as my arms adjusted to the pull. I found myself incessantly smiling, with each and every stab of the throttle. The noise — not unlike a rowdy Fiat 500 Abarth —m ixed with 300 screaming ponies directed entirely through the front wheels, felt refreshingly uncivilized.

With the addition of Shelby/Ford Racing suspension, which not only stiffens the package but also lowers the ride-height by an inch, cornering was planted. Did I mention the sound? The whistle from the turbo buzzed like a hummingbird overdosed on nectar.

Sure, the Shelby Focus ST possesses faults, but the enjoyment factor certainly eradicates most concerns. But is it really worth around $40k when including the price of the car? For me, I’d rather a more powerful all-wheel drive Subaru WRX STI. Or a loaded Mustang GT. But there’s no denying the caché the Shelby name holds. And as a head-turner, few grab attention like Shelby’s mad “pocket-rocket.” It certainly barks to the right tune.

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...175609359.html

http://autos.yahoo.com/video/2013-sh...173215893.html
Old 05-09-13, 07:03 AM
marshall2j
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Too expensive. People who shop $40K cars don't look at economical based cars.
Old 05-09-13, 07:27 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by marshall2j
Too expensive. People who shop $40K cars don't look at economical based cars.
yep, but Ford has plenty of $$ to play around with -- I'd rather seem them make a Shelby Fusion instead
Old 05-09-13, 12:09 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I think all models should have a sport version