Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW 3 Series M Sport versus 2014 Lexus IS F Sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-13, 09:29 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
No it does not. And the tsx was accused of taking the Camry lights.

Lets all wait to see them in person. Sounds like people are scared of true concept car detailing coming to life
I dont have an issue with concept detailing of tailights or split headlights.........The profile and some body lines look weird, goofy, gimmicky etc - reminds me somewhat of the 1 series.
Old 01-09-13, 09:37 PM
doublehh03
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No it does not. And the tsx was accused of taking the Camry lights.

Lets all wait to see them in person. Sounds like people are scared of true concept car detailing coming to life
Take a chill pill. You don't like opinions, put on your homer glasses and put them on ignore. It's an ugly car. Get over it.
Old 01-09-13, 09:50 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I have to say the exterior is a bit too over the top. Will have to wait for the non fsport pictures.

Cup holders are ugly as well, they shouldnt be part of the arm rest. They should be separated by an indentation and chrome ring; the current set up is too much like the new avalon cup holders.
Old 01-09-13, 10:59 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by doublehh03
Take a chill pill. You don't like opinions, put on your homer glasses and put them on ignore. It's an ugly car. Get over it.
You can put on your homer glasses and put my opinion on ignore. I like the new IS way better than the boring 3 series. I suspect that even the new Q50 will beat the 3 design-wise.
Old 01-10-13, 12:26 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I made this point in another thread, but will repost it here.

People are freaking out about the 3IS because the grill looks completely flat and one dimensional in all of the pics released so far, except for the front 3/4 shot. Folks are looking at it thinking they'll see a huge, sheet-like flat black expanse in person and the reality is that it's more like a waterfall in curvature and shape. In real life, the grill does not look nearly as one dimensional.

Since Lexus has released a small set of over-processed, over-exposed photos, of the 3IS, let me illustrate my point with other cars:

This looks absolutely disproportionate and completely overdone (partly because of 1) the angle 2) it looks completely one dimensional and 3) its too processed in photoshop):

This looks sleek and aggressive because you can actually see the depth and dimension:

vs.

vs.

vs.

Also, Lexus needs to stop showing press cars in white, especially F sport cars. The contrast is too much for most people and it shows absolutely zero body lines or character. It also makes the car look FLAT. Silver or Charcoal would show more character and not be as much of a shocking contrast with the black F Sport grill.

Flat-looking white paint + flat-looking huge grill + over-processing in photoshop = poor first impressions from a lot of folks so far. Lexus needs to correct this and release more pictures of the dark gray car but they generally always release over-exposed, over-processed pics of cars that ultimately look MUCH better in real life and normal photographs.
This this this! Quoted for truth

Unless of course ... Lexus is aware of this, and is doing this intentionally just to stir up debate about new models . If so, then excellent trolling by Lexus .
Old 01-10-13, 01:00 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Car looks great. Aggressive because it's suppose to be. It's the F-Sport. The regular 4IS will be shown at the Detroit show so the haters just chill out.
Old 01-10-13, 01:21 AM
doublehh03
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cino
You can put on your homer glasses and put my opinion on ignore. I like the new IS way better than the boring 3 series. I suspect that even the new Q50 will beat the 3 design-wise.
That's fine. I don't have an ultra affinity for one specific brand. I have criticized each and every brand out there if I don't like it. And it's fine if others disagree or agree with my taste. People have their opinions. That's why there are more than one car brand

That blueprint guy seems to be very insecure about his tastes for some reason

PS - you may be right about the new Q50. The new 3 series is fairly conservative in its design. But as long as it isn't ugly as this IS F rendering, I don't doubt that.

Last edited by doublehh03; 01-10-13 at 01:26 AM.
Old 01-10-13, 02:10 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Man that grill is straight up hideous. And the rear is too futuristic. This looks like a Lexus version o Hyundai trying to look like an alien. Hopefully they will tone it down for the production version.

Lexus finally came out with a production ready design that is very close to its concept. A concept that got many people's attention and even won design awards/accolades.

People complain about Lexus being too 'beige' and you want them to tone it down?

Right.

Its production ready and I'm glad its production ready.
Old 01-10-13, 02:33 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by G Star
Lexus finally came out with a production ready design that is very close to its concept. A concept that got many people's attention and even won design awards/accolades.

People complain about Lexus being too 'beige' and you want them to tone it down?

Right.

Its production ready and I'm glad its production ready.
Very close to the concept exept the shape of the headlight. The shape of the headlight looks much better on the concept and it makes it looks good together with separated Nike swoosh LED. But on the final product it looks reallt weird.
Old 01-10-13, 05:09 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bagwell
uhh, are you so tall your knees are at >90° or something while seated in a car???
No I just have a very wide frame and can tell by looking that the IS interior would not work for me. Most people think I surely must have been a football player. I've never been able to fit well into a car with that type of interior layout, which is hugely disappointing to me.
Old 01-10-13, 05:30 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Not sure if you are an Internet comedian since you said the ILX is a nice design

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/7649065-post38.html

Internetsz strikes again!
Originally Posted by cino
You can put on your homer glasses and put my opinion on ignore..

That blueprint guy seems to be very insecure about his tastes for some reason .

Guys knock off the personal commentary or exit this thread.
Old 01-10-13, 05:31 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I don't think I read one positive comment on those boards. Fanboys be fanboys
I say the same thing everytime I come here and read about how great the underpowered Lexus vehicles are with their auto transmissions.

I like the new IS, I think it addresses nearly all the shortcomings of the previous generation (much like the new GS did). Again, though, it does so well because BMW does not have a car to really compare to the F-sport line. The M-sport these days is generally a set of springs and a different steering wheel or something. It's almost as if the Lexus and BMW positions are reversed from it used to be. I think BMW went in the Lexus direction on their handling and road feel, and Lexus went in the direction of BMW. BMW kind of lost what made them special and Lexus gained a lot of attitude (which I like). I guess we'll see how the 4 series does as it is supposed to be more sport oriented.

I really do think the F-sport should offer some form of manual transmission and bigger power though. That little 3.5L, while more impressive than Nissan's offerings, just can't compare to the rest of the competition anymore. We need a 2.5L or a 3.0L turbo motor from Toyota.

Last edited by Bean; 01-10-13 at 05:35 AM.
Old 01-10-13, 06:37 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The IS has to be seen in person.Pics can make a vehicle look better.
The IS does look great in pics,tho.

The IS blows away the 3 Series in looks.Especially the interior.Again in the pics,anyway.
Old 01-10-13, 07:08 AM
LexFather

I don't think we need to get into forum vs forum discussion. Obviously people will like their preferred brand and you will have those that will post a positive opinion of something not from their brand. People are entitled to their opinions and some weight far more than others. People can spout off what they want but don't come here and do it especially since it is NOT a concept, it is a production car. Some people rather just try to incite a riot than actually read about the vehicle they are *****ing about.

The 3 and IS now could not be further apart in style and they will attract people with different values regarding style. I don't think either is bad, they are just executed differently.

BMW can't really go crazy with the 3 series, it is a huge volume seller and they cannot be too controversial. That is why even under Bangle the 3 series was the safe design. Contrarily the ES and RX are the volume sellers and with the ES Lexus can really push the IS to be very different since its not the volume car here. Looking at this 3IS Lexus really pushed the envelope with the front, rear and interior as they don't need to please everyone. They just need to please a few Lexus has really nothing to lose in Europe so they can push the IS to be very brave. What will be interesting to see is how the European market feels. I have no doubt it will be a hit in Japan.

Again I think its pretty cool they did a side by side mock up so quickly and it shows how legitimate the IS is when you see them compare it right away.

Old 01-10-13, 07:16 AM
marshall2j
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Love all of the new styling changes! So damn aggressive!

I really want to hear the engine offerings... if they are changed at all. The existing 2.5 v6 is just terrible with its carbon buildup problems...

Quick Reply: BMW 3 Series M Sport versus 2014 Lexus IS F Sport