Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

CES: All-new Lexus IS First in Industry to Offer Subscription-free Traffic and Weathe

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-13, 04:58 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts
Default CES: All-new Lexus IS First in Industry to Offer Subscription-free Traffic and Weathe

TORRANCE, Calif. (Jan. 8, 2013) – Lexus today announced that it has partnered with iBiquity Digital Corporation, the developer of HD Radio™ Technology, to be the first automotive brand to offer subscription-free, real-time traffic and weather information on its integrated audio systems. The all-new Lexus IS sport sedan, which will debut at the North American International Auto Show on Jan. 15, will be the first Lexus vehicle to feature this technology when it arrives in dealerships this summer.

“At Lexus, we strive for partnerships that bring the most advanced connected vehicle technologies to our customers at a great value,” said Sandy Lobenstein, vice president, Connected Vehicle Technology and Planning. “As a result of our partnership with iBiquity, our owners will be the first in the industry to have access to subscription-free real-time traffic and weather data on multimedia systems across our vehicle lineup.”

Lexus will launch two systems integrating HD Radio, digital audio entertainment and real-time traffic and weather information.

For vehicles with available Navigation, Lexus will provide a digital audio and navigation system driven by the first of its kind hybrid technology capable of receiving digital traffic and weather information from both HD Radio stations and the cell phone network, using the driver’s smartphone connected with the Lexus Enform system.

For vehicles without navigation, Lexus will offer a standard premium Display Audio system complete with subscription-free traffic maps and weather information, all delivered by HD Radio stations across the country.

iBiquity will display this new technology in their booth at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas, Nev., through Jan. 11.

The debut of the all-new Lexus IS will be webcast live at www.lexus.com and on the Lexus Facebook page at 9:30 a.m. Eastern Standard Time on Jan. 15.

Sounds very cool, no subs! But how do you display traffic info on models without nav??? Hoovey spill the beans!!!
Old 01-08-13, 05:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

finally free traffic in lexus. awesome!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-08-13, 05:02 PM
LH1
Instructor

Received 168 Likes on 89 Posts

Sweet!! 4 thumbs up from me too!
Old 01-08-13, 05:03 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

probably in list form
Old 01-08-13, 05:04 PM
LH1
Instructor

Received 168 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Sounds very cool, no subs! But how do you display traffic info on models without nav??? Hoovey spill the beans!!!

I think he's said non-navi models still get a relatively large screen. He'll have to confirm though.
Old 01-08-13, 05:07 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

I actually would use this! a lot. can I has for my SC?
Old 01-08-13, 09:54 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds neat

HOWEVER, this is not the worlds-first..............because in Japan, this is already free-of-charge.

The G-BOOK and G-LINK telematics services are already included for all Lexus Japan JDM Market vehicles.

So technically, it's the first in the world outside of Japan (or outside Asia)........but not the worlds-first (since Lexus Japan and other Japanese automakers have been doing this for a long time already)...
Old 01-08-13, 10:15 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I think it means world first that the traffic is coming from HD radio stations, not that it will be free
Old 01-09-13, 03:39 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1
I think he's said non-navi models still get a relatively large screen. He'll have to confirm though.
there will be display for sure... but it wont have maps as it wont have nav (on model without nav)....?
Old 01-09-13, 08:43 AM
LexFather

Good move by Lexus.