Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2013 Dart GT will hold us over until SRT stokes Dodge's handsome compact

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-13, 12:47 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2013 Dart GT will hold us over until SRT stokes Dodge's handsome compact

2013 Dart GT will hold us over until SRT stokes Dodge's handsome compact

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2013-...photo-5541018/

No, this isn't quite the Dart SRT4 we've been waiting for – and still believe is coming – but as part of its 2013 Detroit Auto Show lineup, Dodge will be showing off the slightly sportier Dart GT seen here.

Building on the already well-equipped Limited model, the GT adds performance enhancements including a more powerful engine, 18-inch aluminum wheels, sport suspension calibration, unique front fascia and dual exhaust. Inside, you'll find perforated Nappa leather seats, a heated steering wheel and front seats, dual-zone climate control, remote start (if you spec the automatic transmission), Chrysler's 8.4-inch Uconnect touchscreen, a seven-inch TFT display in the gauge cluster, and a whole lot more. Optional goodies include hyper black aluminum wheels, a technology group (pushbutton start, keyless go, rain-sensing wipers, blind spot monitoring and smart-beam headlamps), power sunroof, Sirius radio, Garmin navigation, Alpine premium sound and high-intensity discharge headlamps.

Powering the Dart GT is Chrysler's 2.4-liter MultiAir2 four-cylinder engine producing 184 horsepower and 174 pound-feet of torque. That grunt is sent to the front wheels via a standard six-speed manual transmission, but a six-speed automatic 'box is optional.

That's a whole lot of kit, and for a starting price of $20,995 (excluding destination charges), on the surface, the Dart GT strikes us as quite a bargain for the compact class.

New 2013 Dodge Dart GT Model to Debut at North American International Auto Show

Dart GT model hits the mark with 184 horsepower, premium Nappa leather and a sport-tuned suspension that caters to the driving enthusiast for a U.S. Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price of only $20,995

- Dart GT is powered by the 2.4-liter Tigershark MultiAir2 four-cylinder engine, which produces 184 horsepower and 174 lb.-ft. of torque, providing just the right balance of power and fuel efficiency
- New 2013 Dart GT model features a sport suspension with frequency-sensing damping shocks that delivers ride and handling attributes designed to cater to driving enthusiasts
- Unique exterior and interior design elements, including standard 18-inch aluminum wheels and premium perforated Nappa heated leather seats, differentiate the GT model from the rest of the Dart lineup
- Standard class-exclusive features include racetrack LED taillamps, integrated dual exhaust, 8.4- inch touchscreen, 7-inch TFT display, in-seat storage and much more
- The new 2013 Dart GT delivers an incredible value, with a starting U.S. Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price of just $20,995

Auburn Hills, Mich. , Jan 8, 2013 - The Dodge brand dug deep into its rich, nearly 100-year history to name its all-new compact car, the 2013 Dodge Dart, and is again drawing on the storied history for the newest Dodge Dart model.

The sporty Dart GT model originally made its debut in 1963 and offered drivers enhanced performance and style, including a heavy-duty suspension that delivered improved ride and handling characteristics.

The all-new 2013 Dodge Dart GT model delivers sport-tuned suspension attributes that cater to the driving enthusiast, distinctive styling, including standard class-exclusive racetrack LED taillamps and integrated dual exhaust, and it's loaded with premium standard features, including perforated heated Nappa Leather seats, 8.4-inch touchscreen and 7-inch TFT for an outstanding value, with a starting U.S. Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of only $20,995 (excluding destination).

"The new Dart GT embodies the best attributes that compact car buyers are looking for, including outstanding style, performance, technology and value," said Reid Bigland, President and CEO Dodge Brand. "With 184 horsepower, 18-inch aluminum wheels, sport suspension, premium leather interior and several class-exclusive features, the Dart GT represents the sweet spot in the compact car market, offering mid-size roominess combined with premium amenities for only $20,995 MSRP."

The Dart GT model is the latest addition to the 2013 Dodge Dart lineup, which currently includes the Dart SE, SXT, Rallye, Aero and Limited models. Dodge continues to investigate a high-performance R/T model.

Building off the exceptionally well-equipped Dart Limited, the GT adds: 184 horsepower 2.4-iter Tigershark with MultiAir 2 with six-speed manual or available six-speed PowerTech automatic AutoStick; 18-inch aluminum wheels; sport suspension with frequency sensing damping shocks; unique performance front fascia with black accents and Hyper Black grille; black projector headlamp bezels; body-color door handles; class-exclusive integrated dual exhaust with bright exhaust tips; class- exclusive racetrack LED taillamps; unique premium Nappa perforated leather seats in Black with Ruby Red stitching or two-tone Black/Ruby Red; class-exclusive heated steering wheel; heated front seats; dual-zone automatic temperature control; remote start (with automatic transmission); universal garage door opener and GT badge.

Additional standard equipment on the 2013 Dart GT model includes: projector fog lamps; power heated mirrors with supplemental signals and courtesy lamps; class-exclusive 8.4-inch Uconnect touchscreen; class-exclusive floating island bezel; ParkView rear backup camera; class-exclusive 7-inch TFT (Thin Film Transistor) reconfigurable instrument cluster display; premium door trim panel with soft-touch upper surfaces; leather steering wheel with audio controls and speed control; accent stitching on the instrument panel; power 10-way driver seat, including power lumbar support; driver and front passenger seatback pockets; overhead console with sunglass holder; front passenger in-seat storage; illuminated front cup holders; illuminated vanity mirrors; temperature and compass gauge; 12-volt auxiliary power outlet in console; speed-sensitive power locks; power windows with express one-touch up/down front windows; ambient LED interior lighting; automatic headlamps; active grille shutters; underbody aerodynamic treatment; tire pressure monitoring display; air conditioning with micron filter; power mirrors; remote keyless entry; front center console with fore and aft sliding armrest; 60/40 split folding rear seat with armrest with storage/cup holders and trunk pass-through; six-speakers; security alarm; front and rear floor mats and 600-amp maintenance-free battery.

A variety of options are available to allow the GT customer the ability to personalize their Dart to their exact specifications. It starts with a choice of 12 exterior colors – all available at no extra charge – including Redline Red, Header Orange, Blue Streak, Citrus Peel, Laguna Blue, Pitch Black, Tungsten, Bright Silver, Bright White, True Blue, Maximum Steel and Winter Chill.

Optional equipment includes:
- Six-speed Powertech automatic transmission with AutoStick
- Technology Group (push-button start, keyless Enter 'N Go, rain sensing wipers, smart beam headlamps, blind spot monitoring with rear cross path detection)
- 18-inch Hyper Black Aluminum Wheels
- Power Sunroof
- HID (High Intensity Discharge) headlamps
- SiriusXM Satellite Radio
- Garmin Navigation with Sirius XM Travel Link
- Alpine Premium Sound System with 10 speakers, including subwoofer and 506 watt amplifier
- Engine block heater
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/08/2...dges-handsome/
Old 01-08-13, 03:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Interesting. Dodge may be changing the Dart's marketing. They (seem to be) either cancelling the awaited Dart R/T or renaming it the GT.

I know I've said it before, but the Dart, IMO, is a very nice compact sedan. I predict it will do at least reasonably well in the marketplace. It deserves, of course, to do much better than the old Caliber....which, IMO, was a piece of junk.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-09-13 at 08:49 AM.
Old 01-09-13, 01:35 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

That is a lot of kit on a car costing $21,000. Leather seats, backup camera, touchscreen radio, all standard.

I also laugh at this being a "compact" car. Its a sizeable sedan, just went on Dodge's website, vs the Avenger, the trunk is .3 cu ft smaller, 97 cu ft interior volume vs 100 for the bigger Avenger. I don't know why you'd buy an Avenger, the Dart is a much better car with comparable space. I mean the Dart is bigger than "midsize" Accords and Camrys from the 90's.
Old 01-09-13, 06:23 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
That is a lot of kit on a car costing $21,000. Leather seats, backup camera, touchscreen radio, all standard.

I also laugh at this being a "compact" car. Its a sizeable sedan, just went on Dodge's website, vs the Avenger, the trunk is .3 cu ft smaller, 97 cu ft interior volume vs 100 for the bigger Avenger. I don't know why you'd buy an Avenger, the Dart is a much better car with comparable space. I mean the Dart is bigger than "midsize" Accords and Camrys from the 90's.
A 283 horsepower V6 is a pretty good reason.
Old 01-09-13, 07:25 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm thinking that the Dart will be just like the GTO. It's production will be cut short due to buyers not wanting it. Usually bringing back the oldies don't work well. All of that is imo.

It deserves, of course, to do much better than the old Caliber.
It better! The Caliber was terrible!
Old 01-09-13, 10:12 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Outrage
well until the SRT version comes out
Old 01-09-13, 12:52 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

bargain for what you get.....[I like the Dart in WHITE so much better]

Old 01-09-13, 02:03 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Outrage
Yeah, I forgot they stuck their new v6 in the Avenger. If you were getting a 4 cylinder though, the Dart is a much better car.
Old 01-09-13, 06:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SC400slide
I'm thinking that the Dart will be just like the GTO. It's production will be cut short due to buyers not wanting it. Usually bringing back the oldies don't work well. All of that is imo.
The Dart, though, from Day One, should have more appeal to car-buyers in general than the GTO. The GTO, though with a more advanced, better-handling chassis than the original ones from the 1960s, is still basically just a two-door, RWD, tire-shredding muscle-car built to go fast in a straight line. That's fine if you want to do that and little else....but the Dart is a far more useful car in everyday driving, and, for most people, even in top-line SRT-4 trim, would make a markedly better daily-driver.
Old 01-09-13, 09:13 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Dart, though, from Day One, should have more appeal to car-buyers in general than the GTO. The GTO, though with a more advanced, better-handling chassis than the original ones from the 1960s, is still basically just a two-door, RWD, tire-shredding muscle-car built to go fast in a straight line. That's fine if you want to do that and little else....but the Dart is a far more useful car in everyday driving, and, for most people, even in top-line SRT-4 trim, would make a markedly better daily-driver.
Actually I'd compare it more with a big BMW 840i than a rough riding, poorly built Mustang or Camaro. The interior is cavernous, its quiet, the seats are worthy of a luxury car, its very well made/appointed on the inside, it rides nice, its a good bit heavier than any Mustang or Camaro. Its more of a fast GT car and really has nothing in common with the old GTO other than a honking v8. I wish they'd just left the name the same, Pontiac Monaro has a good ring to it.

Still I agree it was a niche product in the way it was marketed, that it was only 2 doors and the trunk was small(aussie versions got a huge trunk because the gas tank wasn't taking up half of the space).
Old 01-09-13, 09:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Actually I'd compare it more with a big BMW 840i than a rough riding, poorly built Mustang or Camaro. The interior is cavernous, its quiet, the seats are worthy of a luxury car, its very well made/appointed on the inside, it rides nice, its a good bit heavier than any Mustang or Camaro. Its more of a fast GT car and really has nothing in common with the old GTO other than a honking v8.
I did mention that its chassis and handling was more sophisticated than the original, mainly because of the all-independent suspension. But it was still no sports car.

I agree that the interior was better than pony-cars of the era (2004-2007), but the Mustang (and the new Camaro) have improved considerably since then.

Compare it to an 840? I don't know.......that may (?) be pushing it. You can't expect a Goat to compete with something two or three times its price, though the GTO did have power..

I wish they'd just left the name the same, Pontiac Monaro has a good ring to it.
They were trying to market it to Baby-Boomers like me who grew up with the original GTO, so they probably had to keep the name.
Old 01-09-13, 10:46 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

^ Considering it had NOTHING in common with the original car other than the honking v8, you wouldn't believe how much the GM fanboys *****ed and moaned that it looked NOTHING like the old GTO.

As for the BMW 840i statement, yes I'd say the interior fit/finish was comparable, just as much room, and the seats were every bit as good as to what BMW put in that car. Except for a lack of options which was stupid on GM's part(Aussie Monaros had such things as sunroofs, navigation, center mounted oil pressure and oil temp gauges, bigger/different wheel options, etc), it was every bit as luxurious as a BMW of that era IMO. Go sit in a NICE GTO, its still nicer than a new Camaro, Mustang, or Challenger in terms of fit/finish.