Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

These are your top 10 worst-selling vehicles of 2012

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-13, 07:21 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The i-MiEV achieving last-place in sales, IMO, is not suprising at all. How many of you would want to drive something that looked like this? The Nissan Leaf, IMO, is a whole lot easier on one's eyes.

(No offense to those of you who may like the design, but, to me, it is an eyesore)
Looks like the new Japanese interpretation of Renault's late, unlamented 2CV.

Old 01-09-13, 07:31 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Looks like the new Japanese interpretation of Renault's late, unlamented 2CV.
that's a citroen, not a renault.
Old 01-09-13, 08:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400slide
The Suzuki Equator is just a boring SUV and doesn't appeal to many people out there.
The Equator is actually a rebadged Nissan Frontier pickup truck, not an SUV. Besides, Suzuki will no longer be a factor in American-market new-vehicle sales......they are packing up and leaving.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-09-13 at 08:34 AM.
Old 01-09-13, 08:34 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

The Equator is actually a rebadged Nissan Frontier pickup truck, not an SUV. Besides, Suzuki will no longer be a factor in American-market new-vehicle sales......they are packing up and leaving.
I mixed it up with the Chevy Equinox, which would also make sense if their production was leaving. Suzuki is dying, unfortunately.
Old 01-09-13, 08:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The i-MiEV, BTW, is also sold in Europe as the Peugeot Ion and Citroen C-Zero.

Old 01-09-13, 08:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SC400slide
I mixed it up with the Chevy Equinox, which would also make sense if their production was leaving. Suzuki is dying, unfortunately.
No problem. I agree with you that the Equinox is not the world's most exciting vehicle to drive, but its fit/finish, assembly quality, assembly-precision, and overall refinement, like a number of latest-generation GM/Chrysler products, is worlds ahead of what it was just a few years ago.

Hard to say just what caused Suzuki's demise here in the American market, but one factor that definitely played a role was that their auto dealership-network was allowed to shrink down to almost nothing. Several years ago, there are 4 or 5 Suzuki auto-dealerships (as opposed to motorcycle shops) within reasonable driving distance of my home.....today, there is just one. The fact is....you can't sell vehicles without places to actually buy them.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-09-13 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-09-13, 09:02 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The i-MiEV achieving last-place in sales, IMO, is not suprising at all. How many of you would want to drive something that looked like this? The Nissan Leaf, IMO, is a whole lot easier on one's eyes.

(No offense to those of you who may like the design, but, to me, it is an eyesore)
not pretty but if it was really cheaply priced ($15K) and got about 200 miles per charge I'd buy one for a beater.
Old 01-09-13, 09:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
not pretty but if it was really cheaply priced ($15K) and got about 200 miles per charge I'd buy one for a beater.
I don't know of any brand-new all-electric cars, DOT-certified for public roads, available in the American market for 15K. Used ones, I can't say ....there, so far, just hasn't been much of a market with any depreciation-price data.
Old 01-09-13, 01:21 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that's a citroen, not a renault.
See what happens when I get up too early?

Shoulda known better, have driven both, preferred the rather pedestrian-looking Renault, but the Citroën 2CV ("deux chevaux", or two-horse) always drew stares - at least in the US. It was mercifully put down 13 years ago, having survived from the late post-war period and over fifty years with few changes. It was THE minimalist family car. Because it was designed around the emerging European tax laws of the day, the 26 hp, air-cooled engine that made it into late production models was near bulletproof, if only because like the rest of the car, it was so simple.

With roots that, like Volkswagen, extended to the pre-war days when developing a car for the masses was a noble goal, it was simple, cheap, and easily maintained, but possessed of a peculiarly French engineering logic (weird) that would still be reflected in its larger brethren many years later. The prototypes offered seating that consisted of canvas hammocks suspended from the cabin ceiling by wires. Fortunately for us, those features never made it into production.

It joined a number of post-war "peoples cars" that included the VW Beetle, and the Fiat 500 "Topolino" - and later the original Mini. Designed for the displacement taxes of the day, they sold by the thousands. While Messerschmidt and BMW sold tiny cars in the same market, they were more motorcycles than cars and not produced in huge volumes.

Fiat 500 Topolino

Messerschmidt

BMW Isetta

They weren't bad cars - in fact they were quite good - in their intended market where they were designed as cheap family transportation for the ordinary European. The Isetta and the Messerschmidt were early urban vehicles that were meant to be cheap to purchase and operate. Those that made it to this side of the pond failed spectacularly when pressed into service in our motoring environment.

Last edited by Lil4X; 01-09-13 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-09-13, 01:38 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

the GTR wasnt built to be a volume model
Old 01-09-13, 02:06 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
the GTR wasnt built to be a volume model
Great point........

Old 01-09-13, 02:34 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
no, article says cars must be under 100k. gt-r just makes it.
You're missing the point. GT-R is a budget supercar, Nissan will not sell many of them. It doesn't make sense to compare GT-R with Corolla or Camry.
Old 01-09-13, 05:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lil4X
See what happens when I get up too early?
Get some of that Starbucks Christmas Blend coffee, if they still have any left (they only sell it once a year during the holiday season). That's good stuff...sure to wake you up.

Shoulda known better, have driven both, preferred the rather pedestrian-looking Renault,
Don't feel bad, Bob. You must be refrerring to the Renault 4CV. Lots of people (momentarily) confuse the Renault 4CV with the Citroen 2CV. I've done it a few times myself. The 4CV, of course, was overshadowed by the more ubiquitous Dauphine.

Messerschmidt

BMW Isetta

They weren't bad cars - in fact they were quite good - in their intended market where they were designed as cheap family transportation for the ordinary European. The Isetta and the Messerschmidt were early urban vehicles that were meant to be cheap to purchase and operate. Those that made it to this side of the pond failed spectacularly when pressed into service in our motoring environment.
Good or bad, I buckle over with laughter every time I see an Isetta (I can still remember when some of them were brand-new). The Messerchimitt KR-200 is also goofy-looking...but it is the Isetta that really tickles my funnybone.

Of course, in objectivity, I realize that the post-WWII conditions in Europe, rebuilding after the war, with scarce and expensive fuel, necessitated the production of microcars that, today, we would consider little more than four-wheeled motor-scooters. In fact, the first Isettas had three, not four, wheels.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-09-13 at 06:03 PM.
Old 01-09-13, 09:18 PM
LexFather

Holy hijack batman