Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

upgrading from IS350, to stay with lex or give the germans a shot?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-12, 04:52 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look into a pre -owned S5. and wait until 2014/2015 when the IS gets a new turbo engine and a upgrade over the IS350
Old 12-31-12, 05:24 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

i would NOT get the new GS sedan until they put the 8 speed auto in it (it's matter of time, possibly next model year), not that i'm a fan of the 8 speed auto but why pay the same for the older hardware. i would go with the F30 335i sedan with M-Sport package.
Old 12-31-12, 06:24 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by player1
Hey, so I've been a regular here for the last couple of years. I have 2008 Lexus IS 350 that I bought new. It currently has 61k miles. I love it. It's treated me so well for the last couple of years. I am convinced that Lexus builds some of the best cars out there, a perfect balance between refined luxury, reliability, and comfort. I will forever be a Lexus owner and loyalist, hands-on. For this same reason, I am KEEPING my IS350 in the family, I am actually giving it to my younger brother.

With all that said, I am 27 years old, not married, and hoping to take advantage of my relative youth and experiment. I am very content with Lexus and think I'd be reasonably happy with upgrading to a 2013 GS 350 f-sport or even the new 2013 Lexus IS 350 that'll be debuted in Detroit next month. However, a part of me just wishes there was a little more "grunt" under the hood. Trust me, if there was a legit GS-F, I'd be all over it, no questions asked. The GS350 is a great all around car, immaculate interior, aggressive front, and decent/fair back styling. However it does lack the performance that I currently desire. I would ideally like my next car to be faster and in performance sense "superior" to my current IS350 (which is a little beast). If Lexus were to offer a GS-F equivalent, I could definitely see myself venturing back to Lexus, but for now, I'm considering the following cars. THe only cars I have owned in my life are a 98 Nissan Maxima (Stillen tuned) and 2008 Lexus IS 350. Please provide me with your honest input. I'm hoping to stay in the 50k range.

1. 2013 GS 350 F-sport
2. 2013 IS 350 (unveiled next month)
3. 2013 Audi S5
4. 2012 Audi A7 3.0 (I know this is a luxury tourer but I love the exterior styling)
5. 2011/12 BMW 550i

Thanks, any input is welcome.
Hey, I've driven all expect the new IS pretty extensively not just short term but long term. We have been long time Lexus owners and just picked up a GS F-sport with the DRS that we both adore. To be honest I find it to be the near perfect blend of Japanese/German. I do wish there was slightly more power but it doesn't "Need" it.

3. S5. Drives great, clearly smaller inside and standard AWD. To me drives less sporty than the GS F-sport but has more grunt. Looks great. Oddly sunroof doesn't open. Interior looks good.

4. A7, like the S5 drives less sporty than the GS F-sport but more grunt. Pretty rare as only about 500-700 are sold a month. The hatch offers great utility. Looks better in person. Nice interior, feels very wide inside. Engine is really the strong point.

5. 550, I love the twin turbos over the single turbo I-6, no lag to me. Drives the least sporty out this bunch amazingly and offers the most room and comfort. Very common to see. Lots of options to choose from and amazing lease deals. Nothing like a V-8. Drop down rear seats.

Now to be honest I've never had or seen reliability issues with these cars. Any of them. Maybe I'm lucky but the ones I drive are always ready to go and never in the shop.

I can only speculate on the IS but if you can wait until spring why not. It will be smaller inside sans the S5 and the engine in the IS has always pulled strong (3.5). The F-sport is supposed to be even more sporty than the GS F.

Onto the GS F, you can search my reviews but its really one of the best driving cars around. You get the feel of an old E39 with more space and Lexus quality. The interior is among the best at any price point. The big screen really makes life easier. I love our red leather. Handles amazing yet still drives like a Lexus when not pushing it. Biggest negatives are the non power trunk and non fold down seats, wouldn't mind 50 more hp, no folding mirrors and the aftermarket isn't as strong as the Germans.

The LFA, revised IS F, GS and FRS are really a new page for the companies and just overall well done cars.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
It's a shame there is no V8 offering, cause this is by far my favorite interior in it's class and I would jump the moment I heard word

We just love ours. Everyone that has seen the interior is just blown away by it.