Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250 debuts @ NAIAS (update pg 2)

Old 01-30-13, 08:05 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mjr24
I just don't get the point of these cars.....what is the point of a 4 door car smaller than a C-Class. A CLS has no backseat room....can't imagine how non-existent the backseat is in this car.

It's just Benz lowering prices....it seems everyone has one now a days...really has taken away from the brand. Same with BMW.....
I lot of people want 4 doors, stylish ones and rear seat room doesn't matter. This is simply a baby CLS and people will buy it based on that. Look at how the CLS has influenced vehicles from the A7/6 series gran coupe to the CC and Sonata. Now Benz will have their own baby CLS.

Will there be some that feel it hurts the brand? Yup. Its FWD with a 4 cylinder in base form. But if we have learned anything, the Germans can get away with a lot.

Old 01-30-13, 10:51 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Nothing hurts the brand anymore.... thats simply old school thinking. People like badges and they will buy cheaper quasi-luxury vehicles. Stats prove it.

Whats best selling car in UK for last month? BMW 1 series. Base cars are priced similar to mid spec Corolla. Well specced 116d is priced the same as well specced Auris Hybrid (after 25% discount you can get in Germany).

So good for manufacturers on delivering them. Obviously it is not hurting anyone's brand image. Especially now when at least they look nice. When 1 series was first introduced in Europe, base model did not have any kind of music system, just an hole in the dash.

If that didnt hurt them, these days A class, 1 series and A3 have decent spec as base... livable.
Old 01-31-13, 03:17 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by gray_es300
How much will it be? And i feel like this will take away sales from the regular c class
I imagine this will happen in the beginning, but I have no doubt this will be rectified when the next-gen C-class comes in for model year 2015. You're going to see the next C-class rise in price and brand positioning. The same can likely be said for the next-gen Audi A4 now that the A3 sedan will be making its way over here.
Old 01-31-13, 05:12 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not feeling it. I like some of the specs etc and although there is nothing 'bad' about it, there is also nothing I see thus far that makes me want to go see it or learn more about it.
Old 01-31-13, 09:35 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I like having smaller sedans. The 3 series and C class has grown too large for my taste. I refuse to get a coupe because I prefer the convenience of 4 doors. That's why the Lexus IS was a nice match for me

However, just because they are smaller doesn't mean they have to be cheaper. BMW 1 series still handles very well and has a decent powerplant. Mercedes making this FWD and having the price so low makes me worry about the quality.
Old 01-31-13, 05:11 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

just because it is cheaper than the C class doesnt mean smaller. It is actually an inch longer than the current C class
Old 01-31-13, 06:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike@Vossen
This ad is genius...and the base price is really going to wow consumers....
agreed - lol'ed at great video.

LOVE the head/tail lights on this car too!

Originally Posted by RXSF
WIll girls chase me down the street if I buy one?
it's possible. what you do from there though...

Originally Posted by mjr24
I just don't get the point of these cars.....what is the point of a 4 door car smaller than a C-Class. A CLS has no backseat room....can't imagine how non-existent the backseat is in this car.
this is an aspirational model at a tempting price point (hence the devil in the ad ). it will get people into the brand who never thought they could. now you're right about the practicality of such a small car but corollas and civics sell like fresh donuts too.
Old 02-02-13, 07:54 AM
omgitsjoe
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was originally looking at the 3IS in a few years but the more I see the Mercedes CLA ..... the more Im liking the angles and lines. Plus the pricing is lower where a fully optioned out CLA may be at or just a little above $40K

It's a bit boy racey but then again so is the 3IS !?

Old 02-02-13, 08:01 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by omgitsjoe
I was originally looking at the 3IS in a few years but the more I see the Mercedes CLA ..... the more Im liking the angles and lines. Plus the pricing is lower where a fully optioned out CLA may be at or just a little above $40K

It's a bit boy racey but then again so is the 3IS !?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q43rvKKWCuk
But the IS has the RWD dynamics to back up the aggressive look, something the CLA lacks unless you opt for the 4MATIC option (and even then I doubt if it can handle as well as the IS). But yeah otherwise the CLA is very tempting. The lines flow really well to me (and aerodynamically).

Last edited by ydooby; 02-02-13 at 08:15 AM.
Old 02-02-13, 09:02 PM
LexFather

Looks great there

I think the the IS, 3, C-class etc will lose a few sales to this, many don't give a **** about RWD. Since Acura is mostly FWD this can be another issue for them, now you can get a nice FWD Benz for the same price. The German onslaught continues....

The ES and IS co-exist fine...so the CLA will be fine in the Benz lineup...

Old 02-02-13, 09:58 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Meh, like a lot of German cars it's an underwhelming body with fashionable decoration (headlights, tails, grill etc...). Usually though they're at least well proportioned, but not so with the CLA.

2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250 debuts @ NAIAS (update pg 2)-9mwswnv.png
Old 02-03-13, 09:24 PM
LexFather

^^ yeah except the market is speaking.. Dealers are claiming orders out the Bootay already and the car and commercial is scoring well...

Betting this is going to be a huge hit

Old 02-03-13, 09:58 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
^^ yeah except the market is speaking.. Dealers are claiming orders out the Bootay already and the car and commercial is scoring well...

Betting this is going to be a huge hit
I don't doubt its sales potential, but it will come at a cost to both the CLS' and Mercedes' image in the US.
Old 02-03-13, 10:19 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
I don't doubt its sales potential, but it will come at a cost to both the CLS' and Mercedes' image in the US.
The sonata and cc are CLS clones and they do well and it just proved how influential the CLS is. Only to some people on the Internetz will it matter.

Old 02-03-13, 11:11 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

The way I see it, the IS will move up and the 3-Series and C-Class, and the ILX, and CLA is the start of a new line of luxury sedans with the CT200h and 1-Series soon will join them. I honestly think it looks fine so far..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250 debuts @ NAIAS (update pg 2)