Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250 debuts @ NAIAS (update pg 2)

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-13, 07:02 PM
LexFather

Seems the CLA45 will be 45-50k and have 350hp. Mercedes is about to eat with this new car.

Old 03-05-13, 03:09 PM
mrraider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Outrage
I'll be interested in how Mercedes-Benz dealers treat the new, younger, clientele. At the local dealership I was treated like garbage; and I was looking at purchasing a new E-Class.
Interesting. I've walked in to MB dealerships dressed like a bum and was well treated. Of course, MB dealers in Canada are corporate owned, so minimum standards are required.
Old 03-19-13, 05:14 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Mercedes CLA45 AMG images leak ahead of Big Apple debut

Mercedes CLA45 AMG images leak ahead of Big Apple debut

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/merce...photo-5747830/

It's not terribly difficult to imagine what the Mercedes-Benz CLA45 AMG will look like, or what it will perform like, for that matter. Take the basic recipe that is the recently introduced A45 AMG, throw in a swoopy and devastatingly attractive coupe-like sedan shell, mix and serve.

Under the CLA45 AMG's stylish hood will sit a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder with 360 horsepower and 332 pound-feet of torque, as is the case with the A45 AMG, and it will be paired with a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission. A sophisticated three-stage stability control system will help keep the power on the ground, which is good, since we're expecting a 0-60 run of around 4.5 seconds and a top speed of 155 miles per hour.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/03/19/m...g-apple-debut/
Old 03-19-13, 07:22 PM
LexFather

^^^ nice pics there, thanks for posting...amazing how fast this car came to light... they have a hatch version too in Europe we don't get here. Lexus offers a CT, no other engines and clearly no real F model let alone a sedan version.

Great job Mercedes

Old 03-19-13, 11:02 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Extremely impressive. This is what the other makers need to be doing with their entry-level sedans. Nice to see MBZ on their game. Everyone else now has to play a big game of catch up.
Old 03-27-13, 07:32 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

$47,xxx

355hp
332 lb ft
Old 03-28-13, 09:28 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by RXSF
$47,xxx

355hp
332 lb ft
Yup and likely tuneable for more power. Amazing that the AMG model debuts a month after the base model...this fall.

Old 03-28-13, 09:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Under the CLA45 AMG's stylish hood will sit a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder with 360 horsepower and 332 pound-feet of torque, as is the case with the A45 AMG
An everyday production engine of only 2.0 liters with 360 HP? Do I sense the letters o-v-e-r-s-t-r-e-s-s-e-d anywhere?

No matter how durable a pint-size container is made, you can't keep trying to cram in quarts or gallons of fluid without something giving way.
Old 03-28-13, 11:25 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
An everyday production engine of only 2.0 liters with 360 HP? Do I sense the letters o-v-e-r-s-t-r-e-s-s-e-d anywhere?

No matter how durable a pint-size container is made, you can't keep trying to cram in quarts or gallons of fluid without something giving way.
I too am curious about longevity. It is very impressive though when you consider the hp per cylinder so kudos to that
Old 03-28-13, 12:13 PM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any pictures of the CLA next to ANY other car get a context of size?

I remember Merc trying to enter this market in North America about 10 yrs ago with the C230 sport coupe? (MSRP hovered around $24-27k at the time)
http://autos.yahoo.com/mercedes-benz...02/c230-coupe/

I think the CLA will be more successful than their previous attempt mostly because it's NOT a coupe and NOT a hatchback which most people seem to dislike here in the states...

As far as the exterior design, I think it looks pretty attractive, especially like the upturned sculpting in the trunk, the front end looks pleasant enough / typical for the brand. However if this thing is as tiny as some other posters are claiming and looks like a CLS that was left in the carwash dryer too long, it would change my perception quite a bit (not in a good way).
Old 03-28-13, 12:38 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by amphipri0n

I remember Merc trying to enter this market in North America about 10 yrs ago with the C230 sport coupe? (MSRP hovered around $24-27k at the time)

I think the CLA will be more successful than their previous attempt mostly because it's NOT a coupe and NOT a hatchback which most people seem to dislike here in the states...

As far as the exterior design, I think it looks pretty attractive, especially like the upturned sculpting in the trunk, the front end looks pleasant enough / typical for the brand. However if this thing is as tiny as some other posters are claiming and looks like a CLS that was left in the carwash dryer too long, it would change my perception quite a bit (not in a good way).
It will undoubtedly do better than the C230 coupe for the reasons you listed. It also won't come with cloth seats and cheap interior. I would expect the CLA to be more entertaining to drive as well.

This thing will be about the size of the current C-class. If this sounds weird, it won't later because the new C-class will debut in a year which will be larger in size.
Old 03-28-13, 01:40 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Extremely impressive. This is what the other makers need to be doing with their entry-level sedans. Nice to see MBZ on their game. Everyone else now has to play a big game of catch up.
Who cares though? It's still an ugly overstyled mess which disgraces the Benz brand and heritage.
Old 03-28-13, 05:58 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Old 03-28-13, 09:50 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I believe I read somewhere its about 2 inches longer than the current C class
Old 03-29-13, 07:23 PM
mrraider
Pole Position

Originally Posted by amphipri0n

4630mm long. The size of an S60 or Buick verano

Quick Reply: 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250 debuts @ NAIAS (update pg 2)