Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Tesla discussion

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-14, 07:35 AM
LexFather

22s.....Gotta love air suspension

Old 06-10-14, 05:16 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

even though the speaker of the wind tunnel testing video says that the .24 and .26 results for the Tesla and Prius were nearly identical, I thought even a difference of .01 is a huge significance. Doesn't it means something like 100 times less aero? Something like that.

Also, what's funny with Mercedes is that they have been claiming for years that their cars are most aero efficient, with the E class beating out even with the Prius. However, I believe this is only true on the blue efficiency models, with the small diesel engines, and not true of the models that make it to stateside
Old 06-10-14, 11:30 PM
ted920
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexfather
22s.....gotta love air suspension

amazing!!!!!
Old 06-12-14, 11:52 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yesterday, there was a wall of Tesla patents in the lobby of our Palo Alto headquarters. That is no longer the case. They have been removed, in the spirit of the open source movement, for the advancement of electric vehicle technology.

Tesla Motors was created to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport. If we clear a path to the creation of compelling electric vehicles, but then lay intellectual property landmines behind us to inhibit others, we are acting in a manner contrary to that goal. Tesla will not initiate patent lawsuits against anyone who, in good faith, wants to use our technology.

When I started out with my first company, Zip2, I thought patents were a good thing and worked hard to obtain them. And maybe they were good long ago, but too often these days they serve merely to stifle progress, entrench the positions of giant corporations and enrich those in the legal profession, rather than the actual inventors. After Zip2, when I realized that receiving a patent really just meant that you bought a lottery ticket to a lawsuit, I avoided them whenever possible.

At Tesla, however, we felt compelled to create patents out of concern that the big car companies would copy our technology and then use their massive manufacturing, sales and marketing power to overwhelm Tesla. We couldn’t have been more wrong. The unfortunate reality is the opposite: electric car programs (or programs for any vehicle that doesn’t burn hydrocarbons) at the major manufacturers are small to non-existent, constituting an average of far less than 1% of their total vehicle sales.

At best, the large automakers are producing electric cars with limited range in limited volume. Some produce no zero emission cars at all.

Given that annual new vehicle production is approaching 100 million per year and the global fleet is approximately 2 billion cars, it is impossible for Tesla to build electric cars fast enough to address the carbon crisis. By the same token, it means the market is enormous. Our true competition is not the small trickle of non-Tesla electric cars being produced, but rather the enormous flood of gasoline cars pouring out of the world’s factories every day.

We believe that Tesla, other companies making electric cars, and the world would all benefit from a common, rapidly-evolving technology platform.

Technology leadership is not defined by patents, which history has repeatedly shown to be small protection indeed against a determined competitor, but rather by the ability of a company to attract and motivate the world’s most talented engineers. We believe that applying the open source philosophy to our patents will strengthen rather than diminish Tesla’s position in this regard.
http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/all-...are-belong-you

Pretty bold move, but one that should help spur more electric cars.
Old 06-12-14, 12:54 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

not a good thing if you are a tesla shareholder lol
Old 06-12-14, 02:10 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

^^ like anything it comes and goes. As it's been mentioned in other threads, stocks like Alcoa (aluminum) could be the next big thing
Old 06-17-14, 06:42 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Default Tesla gaining on dealership status quo is freaking people out

Tesla took two more steps towards being allowed to sell its vehicles as it chooses (that is, direct to customers) this week. Legislative efforts in New Jersey and New York both gave the California automaker legal permission (or near permission) to operate its stores. It's gotten so bad – or good, depending on your views, that other automakers are starting to speak up.

Yesterday, Tesla got official permission to keeps it five stores open in New York thanks to the signature of Governor Andrew Cuomo on a pro-Tesla bill that passed earlier this year. This is not a surprise. The bill also makes it difficult for any other automaker to operate its own stores in the state.

In nearby New Jersey, the state Assembly voted yesterday to allow EVs to be sold directly to the consumer. This vote follow an Assembly committee's vote earlier this month and the bill now moves to the New Jersey Senate and, if it passes, would need to be signed by Governor Chris Christie before becoming law. You may remember there's a bit of bad blood there. This is all quite a turnaround from mid-March, when the state legislature voted against direct sales. If passed, Tesla would be allowed to operate four stores in the state.

As you can see, progress is being made. And that's changing the battlefield. The National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA) released a new package of pro-dealership information called "Get the Facts: The Benefits of Franchised Auto Dealers" to take the other side. NADA says that the "current franchised new-car dealer model has benefited consumers, manufacturers and local communities for nearly a century" and then lays out its reasons why.

Perhaps most interestingly, other automakers – through the Auto Alliance – are now saying out loud that the dealers have too much power. In a statement to Automotive News, the Alliance said, " When we look at the big picture, we may be at a tipping point. If dealer groups continue their push for more onerous franchise laws, we will be forced to keep an open mind about how best to serve new-car buyers in the future." That was enough to scare the chairman of the Automotive Trade Association Executives, who told AN that, the Alliance coming out against the franchise system was a "recipe for disaster."
http://green.autoblog.com/2014/06/17...king-people-o/
Old 06-17-14, 06:45 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

As I have said for a while, all car manufacturers would love to operate their own stores... more money in their pockets.
Old 06-17-14, 06:57 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

^ cut out the middle man (franchise dealers) sure
Old 06-17-14, 07:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

and as i have said before, i'd love to see it happen. dealers only have themselves to blame.
Old 06-17-14, 07:03 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
and as i have said before, i'd love to see it happen. dealers only have themselves to blame.
There's two sides to everything. I couldn't sell a product I couldn't stand behind.
Old 06-18-14, 06:01 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tesla Model X production slated for early 2015, will keep the falcon wing doors

Will offer a third row seat

The Tesla Model X was originally slated to be launched in 2013 but that date has been pushed back as the company focused on repaying their government loans and ramping up production of the Model S. Thankfully, the delays appear to be over as the company has confirmed the model will go into production early next year.

In an e-mail to customers who have already reserved the model, the company said the crossover "will be a production car that exceeds the promises made when we first showed the concept." The e-mail goes on to say the first prototypes will be built this fall and the production model is slated to roll of the assembly line in early 2015.

The message went on to state the production model will come standard with all-wheel drive and "deliver a level of functionality and practicality that will exceed what you saw on the concept vehicle." A third-row seat will also be optional and the model is slated to keep the concept's distinctive "falcon wing" doors.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11406177...2015-will-keep
Old 06-18-14, 07:19 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

i think the falcon wing doors are too gimmicky, but hopefully they'll be more useful overall.

the x should be pretty awesome and i've even contemplated one but i still think it would be too much of a hassle to plan trips to places, unsure if i'd have an outlet to recharge the car! for a daily around town commuter though, awesome.
Old 06-18-14, 07:51 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 793 Likes on 556 Posts

I regularly see 2-3 Model S's on my commute and wouldn't mind seeing more Teslas out on the road
Old 06-18-14, 09:56 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i think the falcon wing doors are too gimmicky, but hopefully they'll be more useful overall.

the x should be pretty awesome and i've even contemplated one but i still think it would be too much of a hassle to plan trips to places, unsure if i'd have an outlet to recharge the car! for a daily around town commuter though, awesome.
The auto press reviews suggest that these gull wing doors make it much easier to get in and out of the vehicle.

I am excited about this car. I think I am number 2000 on the wait list which is now in the teens.

Quick Reply: The Tesla discussion