Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What can be uglier than a 2012 Murano convertible???

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-12, 10:45 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Now here's my burning question: Who in GM authorized & approved of the Aztek???

Once I know who it is, i'll say what my recommended punishment is.
Old 12-09-12, 04:45 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The Aztek was one of those cars that looked good in concept - a rugged outdoor-oriented vehicle that would carve a new niche among sportsmen that couldn't quite float the loan for a Hummer1. It was well received at the '98 press intros and at the '99 shows, but something was lost between paper and steel . . . there always is. Sadly, Pontiac decided to stretch the concept over an existing minivan platform and that totally wrecked the dimensions. The resulting low ground clearance with an AWD option grafted onto the minivan chassis left its rear suspension cross-member so low, it invited hanging high center on anything more challenging than a slightly potholed supermarket parking lot.

Worse, because the roof was raised to minivan heights, the beltline was raised, requiring that awful corrugated vinyl siding to visually break up the "bread truck" appearance that came with building the Aztek out of the Trans-Sport/Montana's parts bin. The result was a vehicle that wasn't just disappointing to all those who had admired the hand-sculpted concept at the auto shows, it arrived in steel as probably the butt-ugliest vehicle foisted on the American motoring public in the past 40 years. (OK, the Juke probably wears that crown with the abdication of Pontiac)

1999 Aztek Concept:

2001 Aztek Production:

On a trip through the backroads of Colorado in the Fall of 2001, we'd just sat down in a restaurant for breakfast when a fleet of Azteks in a rainbow of colors (evidently a dealer junket) pulled into the parking lot. Every one of the 60-70 people in the dining room stood up and looked at the shiny new cars as they pulled in . . . and gave a grunt of disgust. When the occupants of those vehicles walked in, everyone stared at them . . . I think even then those poor guys were totally embarrassed to be seen in those first production Azteks. It shoulda told 'em something.
Old 12-09-12, 07:22 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Juke is crazy looking but shockingly people adore the looks.

It sells really well in Europe where Nissan does not have a single mainstream vehicle but manages to outsell all of the Japanese manufacturers. They do it by selling a lot of niche vehicles...

Old 12-09-12, 08:10 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

So I think this might be uglier than a Murano rag top

Lincoln MKT, basically an ugly Lincoln version of the Ford Flex(which IMO has a kind of cool, old school station wagon vibe about it)

What's even worse is that Lincoln is marketing the MKT to be a replacement for the Town Car in the livery and hearse world.

I would haunt your *** if you even CONSIDERED putting my corpse in the back of that thing.
Old 12-09-12, 10:53 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Ah, Nissan - the blended French and Japanese alliance. Unfortunately they got the work assignments wrong. French engineering with Japanese style?
Old 12-10-12, 08:11 AM
dengman
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Ah, Nissan - the blended French and Japanese alliance. Unfortunately they got the work assignments wrong. French engineering with Japanese style?
I just had a laugh in the office. Luckily I'm here by my self at the moment.
Old 12-10-12, 08:37 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GM's 665hp Aztek monstrosity! Thank GOD for the tuners...
Old 12-10-12, 09:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by RX469
Now here's my burning question: Who in GM authorized & approved of the Aztek???

Once I know who it is, i'll say what my recommended punishment is.
You mean actually having to own one? Actually, once you get past its looks (which, of course, a lot of people can't do) it's actually a pretty useful, versatile vehicle. Ugliness or not, I can think of worse things to drive.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-10-12 at 09:17 AM.
Old 12-10-12, 10:56 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You mean actually having to own one? Actually, once you get past its looks (which, of course, a lot of people can't do) it's actually a pretty useful, versatile vehicle. Ugliness or not, I can think of worse things to drive.
Had one in the family and it was really cheap looking and feeling on the inside. It is versatile though. I personally do not like beetles so for me a beetle would be worst, but thats about all that comes to mind right now.
Old 12-11-12, 07:55 AM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Oh Lord!!

My God here is the youtube video of the car

Last edited by 5gears-IS; 12-11-12 at 08:16 AM.
Old 12-11-12, 10:40 AM
lex-phil
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Juke is crazy looking but shockingly people adore the looks.

It sells really well in Europe where Nissan does not have a single mainstream vehicle but manages to outsell all of the Japanese manufacturers. They do it by selling a lot of niche vehicles...

Yes, this is true. Nissan CUVs are massively popular in Europe, with the Qashqai one of the top selling vehicles and the Juke is also up there. It is even the best selling car in one country, Latvia:
http://bestsellingcarsblog.com/2012/...ms-leadership/
Old 12-12-12, 09:18 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can't even drive these things. The video for this Camaro shows the fronts not being able turn. I don't understand. And all these rims are pretty ugly too. is it too hard to make attractive 30" rims?
Attached Thumbnails What can be uglier than a 2012 Murano convertible???-32-inc-rims.jpg  
Old 12-12-12, 09:26 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Originally Posted by lex-phil
Yes, this is true. Nissan CUVs are massively popular in Europe, with the Qashqai one of the top selling vehicles and the Juke is also up there. It is even the best selling car in one country, Latvia:
Well THAT explains it!
Old 12-12-12, 10:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by xsh0tya
Had one in the family and it was really cheap looking and feeling on the inside. It is versatile though.
Well, yes, Domestic-car interiors, in the 1990s, particularly from Pontiac, were often the very definition of cheapness. But versatile it was. I agree it was a marketing flop (and deserved some of the criticism it got)....but still, IMO, took somewhat more than it deserved.

I personally do not like beetles so for me a beetle would be worst, but thats about all that comes to mind right now.
The latest Beetle, introduced just a few months ago, has an interior and other features (like the wheels) that are MUCH more retro-looking than the one from 1998.