Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Happy Holidays, CL: MM Holiday-Review: 2013 Lexus ES350

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-12, 06:17 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
At 61K to start, the 2Gen SC430 was expensive in a lot more than just looks.
To me, the SC430's interior looks nicer then the MB SL, 6-series and Audi S5 in the same era.

It also has a superbly well-paneled wood dash,
It got more wood coverage then the Continental GT!

though the wood's color was a little ligth for my tastes.
That's only in the early years, the later years dark brown walnut looks awesome.
Old 11-30-12, 01:38 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
F
4) The last gen did not have any body side moldings as you stated. There was a very low sill rub strip, which was more for looks than function. It was not anything designed to protect the main area of the doors. And as with 95% of today's luxury cars, body side moldings are a styling blemish left off. It's not a cost-cutting measure at all.
I agree, the body side mouldings are simply for or not for styling, it has nothing to do with cost cutting. Take a look at the Lexus LX570, from 2008-2011 it had no moulding, all of a sudden for 2013 it magically appears. Same with Land Cruiser.

Can you imagine an LS460 with moulding on the side?
Old 11-30-12, 09:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I agree, the body side mouldings are simply for or not for styling, it has nothing to do with cost cutting.
THIS is what body-side mouldings are for, although even the best-designed mouldings may not protect from all dings.

Can you imagine an LS460 with moulding on the side?
Sure can.....it will probably have better paint/sheet-metal and fewer dings than one that doesn't.
Old 11-30-12, 07:24 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another great review ! I do not own a 2013 ES, but I get to drive one mostly everyday, and is leaps and bounds better then the old one.

One very small gripe, the center clock looks great as a design element, but it is hard to tell what time it is using a casual glance, a digital clock may not look as nice, but it is easy to quickly glance the time, do you agree ?

Overall, I really love the car and was not a fan of the old ES's, to vanilla, where this one is vanilla with hot fudge !
Old 12-01-12, 09:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2002GGPIS3
Another great review !
Thanks.

I do not own a 2013 ES, but I get to drive one mostly everyday,
Company car?

and is leaps and bounds better than the old one.
In some ways, yes, but I don't think the overall level of refinement is quite as good. The hybrid addition, though, is a major advance.......even if it is just another use of the Camry hybrid-system.

One very small gripe, the center clock looks great as a design element, but it is hard to tell what time it is using a casual glance, a digital clock may not look as nice, but it is easy to quickly glance the time, do you agree ?
Depends on the circumstances. Bright sunlight striking the clock directly can fade out LED/LCD digits and make them unreadable....but, of course, can also reflect off the shiny chrome-jeweled analog clock rght into your eyes. I tend to be somewhat of a traditionalist, and prefer old-style controls/instruments....but I do like the electroflourescent back-lighting that Lexus first started in 1990 and has used ever since for most of its models.

Overall, I really love the car and was not a fan of the old ES's, to vanilla, where this one is vanilla with hot fudge !
Why do you like this new one more? Because of the hybrid addition? Because of the 45-series 18" wheel option and better handling? Me...I'd rather have the smoother ride of the older tires/wheels, even if it means a little more mushiness in the steering.
Old 12-02-12, 11:24 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Does anyone have a comparison from the outgoing ES as to headroom, sat in a ES300h and I noticed that there is very little headroom back there, the car did have a sunroof which looked to lower the roofline but it did seem to be less than other cars.
Old 12-02-12, 11:36 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Does anyone have a comparison from the outgoing ES as to headroom, sat in a ES300h and I noticed that there is very little headroom back there, the car did have a sunroof which looked to lower the roofline but it did seem to be less than other cars.
According to Edmunds specs
Rear Headroom
'12 36.8"
'13 37.5"
Old 12-02-12, 12:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Nice review Mike. I'm in and out of these (as well as the rest of the line-up) everyday. I agree with most everything here.

The ES seems to have lost some of that quiet tombstone ride due to insulation and tires.

THIS is my biggest gripe with the ES:

The cheapness of the console is so unbefitting a car of this caliber and price. Lexus should be ashamed of themselves. As you note, the door panels, glove box (flimsy) and some other trim pieces are off too.

In my opinion the 2006 ES330 had the best build quality mixed with materials used. No panel gaps and quality materials. Design was ho-hum.

The hybrid trim this model year is a welcome addition (though the I4 is a bit rough), and is what the HS should have been in the first place - an ES Hybrid
I had a chance to sit in the ES300h again and thought about some of your comments, I kinda agree that some of the materials should not be on a car with this price point. Initially I really like the ES interior, but poking around inside, I too have noticed some interesting materials.
Old 12-02-12, 05:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
According to Edmunds specs
Rear Headroom
'12 36.8"
'13 37.5"
That is very close to what The Car Connection publishes on the 2012:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/spec...sdn_dimensions

Keep in mind on the 2013 model, though, that it comes either with and without a rear sunroof.....and that the rear sunroof does rob its share of headroom. So does the front one....but to a lesser extent.
Old 12-02-12, 05:45 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

That is very close to what The Car Connection publishes on the 2012:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/spec...sdn_dimensions

Keep in mind on the 2013 model, though, that it comes either with and without a rear sunroof.....and that the rear sunroof does rob its share of headroom. So does the front one....but to a lesser extent.
A dual (panoramic) sunroof was available on UL versions of the previous gen ES350 (2007-2012). Same thing with the new gen 2013, available on UL's only.
Old 12-02-12, 10:25 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
A dual (panoramic) sunroof was available on UL versions of the previous gen ES350 (2007-2012). Same thing with the new gen 2013, available on UL's only.
The ES300h did not have a rear sunroof and I noticed the lack of headroom, I can't imagine how little it would have with the rear sunroof.
Old 12-03-12, 04:49 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

The ES300h did not have a rear sunroof and I noticed the lack of headroom, I can't imagine how little it would have with the rear sunroof.
I have the UL pkg and the head room is fine.

As posted above,there is even more head room in a '13.
Less shoulder room.

Shoulder room.
'12 56.3"
'13 55".
Old 12-03-12, 06:35 AM
LexFather

Less shoulder room.

Shoulder room.
'12 56.3"
'13 55".
Exactly. Headroom is fine on both unless you are shaq. That's why it's great to know people, know what cars they drive here, etc. It's easier to form an assessment on their opinion.

For example everyone that has met me knows I'm a big guy so when I say headroom is fine on both they are fine on both.

Old 12-03-12, 06:46 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Less shoulder room.

Shoulder room.
'12 56.3"
'13 55".
how did you like 13 vs 12?
Old 12-03-12, 07:01 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
how did you like 13 vs 12?
I'm not a fan of the '13 ES at all.Saw it,sat in it and didn't want to drive it.
I think my next car in the '14 model year will be a GS.
I really like the A6 and 5 Series and don't keep a car long but it's hard for me to get away from a Lexus.

Quick Reply: Happy Holidays, CL: MM Holiday-Review: 2013 Lexus ES350