Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Happy Holidays, CL: MM Holiday-Review: 2013 Lexus ES350

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-12, 07:26 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

BTW,the '13 ES has a $199 body side molding option.
A couple of members with '13 ES's have the option and posted a pic.
Old 11-29-12, 07:27 AM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

once again, an awesome tthorough review Mike. I'm sure Lexus will do well with ES, regardless of any little issues.

i will say i was looking forward to one of those reviews of cars most us regular folk have no chance of buying anytime soon.
Old 11-29-12, 07:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Fantastic and very thorough review! Very happy you did the new ES, as I've been a fan of every one since the beginning.
Thanks. Have you owned one?

1) This new model does have real wood. So do you mean you wish the real wood looked more convincing?
Yes, I know it's real wood. On the specific trim-level I had, though, with the Ivory-leather inside, it appeared, IMO, to be somewhat over-polished and didn't really look like real wood..it needd a more matte-appearance.

2) I've had many 2007-2011 loaners, and to me, they all rode the same. Same sounds, same quality, same everything other than the new trim for 2010. None of the models I personally had (had one for five weeks) had any rattles. From what I've researched, they rattle no more than the class average.
So your loaners weren't groaners? Good...I'm glad. The one I first reviewed in 2007 wasn't exactly as bad as, say, a 1984 Pontiac Fiero in the rattle-department, but did have some noticeable dash-creaks. That turned out, BTW, to be a common customer-complaint in early-production models.

4) The last gen did not have any body side moldings as you stated. There was a very low sill rub strip, which was more for looks than function. It was not anything designed to protect the main area of the doors.
I have seen a number of 5Gen models with the mouldings. Perhaps they were a dealer-installed accessory.

And as with 95% of today's luxury cars, body side moldings are a styling blemish left off. It's not a cost-cutting measure at all.
I've heard that argument a number times, but, friend, with no offense to you, I just disagree. Automakers will come up with the darnest excuses sometimes to try and justify nickel-and-diming......including "styling improvements". I've seen it many times before....and I'm sure we'll see it again.

You should hear, for example, the excuses that Toyota, Saturn, and Nissan came up for the reasons they used the center-stack speedometer/gauges on the Echo/Yaris, Ion, and Quest.

5) I've got to drive these latest Buicks, because if they are quieter than the latest batch of Lexi, it must be a heavenly experience. I'm not poking, I'm complimenting. Buick's quietness sounds very attractive.
The Verano, except for some Ecotec 4-cylinder engine noise, seems to be the quietest of the bunch in wind/road noise, though, oddly, being the smallest, cheapest Buick, and the one with the least-room for added sound insulation. But Buick engineers, with that car, were determined to build a compact sedan with as low a road/wind-noise level as possible. The larger LaCrosse and Enclave, though, have quieter-running V6 engines as RPMs build....and a somewhat smoother ride over bumps than the Verano's 45-series tires. The Regal has essentially the same drivetrains as the Verano, but is more sport-oriented, and wasn't necessarily designed to be whisper-quiet.

6) Cerulean Blue (note spelling) is a very interesting color. It's one of those two in one colors that plays tricks in lighting conditions. I love it, but to be honest, it's definitely a color I've only seen elders go for. It's the new gold. =)
The ES, in general, of course, is not known for being a young person's car, but a number of younger people (especially here on CL) do drive one or are interested in one..

Again, excellent review and happy holidays to you too!
Thanks. And I'm also looking forward to the D.C. Auto Show after the holidays. I usually get free show-passes, and spend several days there....if my legs/back and feet hold out

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-29-12 at 07:46 AM.
Old 11-29-12, 07:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
BTW,the '13 ES has a $199 body side molding option.
A couple of members with '13 ES's have the option and posted a pic.
Yes, I know some cars still have the mouldings as a dealer-installed or factory-option, but I still think it is an insult to charge the customer almost $200 for something that can easily be applied on the assembly-line for a couple of bucks production-cost at most. Automakers simply found that they could make more profits doing that. Of course, some people simply don't care if the side of their car looks like it was peppered with a ball-pein hammer....I'm one of those who do care.

But, of course, not even the mouldings can prevent all dings...because not all door-edges, when they are swing-open, are shaped the same...and not all mouldings are shaped the same .That's why, when possible, I often just park a short distance away and walk.
Old 11-29-12, 08:18 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

These stand alone review are a bit tough to follow. I think it could be better explained if you had more references. What are you making all these judgments and comparisons to, other than some seemingly personal standard that doesn't seem to be met by any car on the road anymore. Are there specific vehicles/competitors that provide a better overall package?

And now you're stretching the vehicle review to the sales website? That seems to be a stretch and hard to fault a vehicle on something the vehicle engineering team has zero control over.
Old 11-29-12, 08:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rkyat
once again, an awesome tthorough review Mike. I'm sure Lexus will do well with ES, regardless of any little issues.
Thanks. Yes, ES sales have always been good. Like the Camry, it has a strong and loyal owner-base. Several of my own friends/colleagues own an ES.

I will say i was looking forward to one of those reviews of cars most us regular folk have no chance of buying anytime soon.
This one should tickle your fancy. Did you check out the Jag XKR Convertible (100K+) Holiday-review I did a few years ago? Driving that car was like dating a supermodel....even with an empty seat next to you.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...nvertible.html
Old 11-29-12, 08:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
These stand alone review are a bit tough to follow. I think it could be better explained if you had more references. What are you making all these judgments and comparisons to, other than some seemingly personal standard that doesn't seem to be met by any car on the road anymore. Are there specific vehicles/competitors that provide a better overall package?
Well, most of the time, I don't have any choice but to do stand-alone reviews....unless a relatively unusual Drive-a-Thon comes to the area where the manufacturer itself provides competing models to all drive at once (1SICK sometimes does his reviews that way). I know a lot of salespeple in the buisness, and often have access to new vehicles....and I also shop fairly often with those interested in new vehicles. But I don't work for (or write for) auto-magazines where regular comparison-tests betwen vehicles of the same class are scheduled, arranged, and paid for at magazine and/or automaker-expense. I simply review vehicles by CL-member request, or, occasionally, as with the Holiday Reviews, on something that might be of interest to CL as a whole. I also do something you won't always find in magazines.....a detailed explanation/descripton of the latest car from stem to stern and a previous history/overview. My reviews, unlike those of some other sources and magazines, don't test a car to its track-limits....the average driver doesn't drive that way, and I don't review a car that way. My reviews, as I do them on public roads myself, try to give more of an impression of what the vehicle is like in typical daily-driving, whre you will usually spend most of your time.

Of course, my type of review may not be what you are looking for (they are not necessarily for everyone)...and there are literally thousands of other reviews, of all types, out there on the Internet as alternatives.

And now you're stretching the vehicle review to the sales website? That seems to be a stretch and hard to fault a vehicle on something the vehicle engineering team has zero control over.
No, I wasn't trying to blame the car for that. But there's a reason why I listed it in the MINUSES the way I did. The new Lexus website is not the easiest one to navigate that the company has ever come out with.....even the salespersons admit that. So, for the average Lexus-shopper today using the official web-site (and many people, today do consult the site for various reasons before buying)...it is a potential negative. But you'll notice I listed it at the bottom of the MINUSES list...as you note, it is not a huge factor.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-29-12 at 09:22 AM.
Old 11-29-12, 09:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
While your personal opinion of the economy might be bad to many others its doing well and looking at how luxury car sales are doing better, well how could one say the economy is bad? Luxury car sales continue to grow.
i bet the vast majority of luxury cars are leased. so people are just renting them, not buying. once they come out of one lease, they have to go into another anyway unless something significant has changed for them. the population is growing so sales/leases are too, and of course low interest rates helps. i think a lot of people have also just said screw it, the economy may suck, but i'm going to drive a nice car while i can.

about the 'many others' the economy is doing well for, sure there's always people doing well, but the VAST majority of americans have taken a hit in income, savings, and seen many costs rise dramatically in recent years, especially healthcare, education, food, and energy.

the es is a good value, and lexus has walked the line well of reducing costs as much as they can in mostly invisible ways, while upgrading the platform, interior and overal aesthetics significantly.

So great review of the new ES!!!!
agreed!
Old 11-29-12, 09:25 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i bet the vast majority of luxury cars are leased. so people are just renting them, not buying. once they come out of one lease, they have to go into another anyway unless something significant has changed for them. the population is growing so sales/leases are too, and of course low interest rates helps. i think a lot of people have also just said screw it, the economy may suck, but i'm going to drive a nice car while i can.

about the 'many others' the economy is doing well for, sure there's always people doing well, but the VAST majority of americans have taken a hit in income, savings, and seen many costs rise dramatically in recent years, especially healthcare, education, food, and energy.

the es is a good value, and lexus has walked the line well of reducing costs as much as they can in mostly invisible ways, while upgrading the platform, interior and overal aesthetics significantly.

agreed!
And people have always leased cars in ANY economy, good or bad and in many cases leases are a better financial decision than purchasing. The fact of the matter is luxury car sales are up, PERIOD.

Case in point the ES is no longer a low 30k entry level car, it starts at 37k is around 50k loaded and is selling better than ever with hardly any incentives right now.

This is not the place for personal interpretations on the economy when others disagree. I think we all could agree 4 years ago the economy tanked. It is CLEAR it has rebounded and things are picking up and this is further evidenced by the sales of the luxury market, in particular cars. The fact of the matter is it is still a 40k luxruy car with taxs, tag, title. $40,000. If Lexus say pulled an Acura and dropped the TSX for the iLX like they are doing which starts at 25k, then MMarshall would have a point. This is not the case, the price of the ES has moved up appropriately and the MARKET has RESPONDED.

Lexus didn't panic and throw everything they worked for out the window or blame anyone for the economy nor the German brands. They kept forward with their plans to move upmarket and expand portfolios downmarket as well. The market as decided they still want luxury goods. The sales of luxury goods are exploding.

Here is an article I read from last year...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/04/bu...ngly.html?_r=0

Worldwide it is more of the same

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/luxury...120000556.html

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...les-surge.html

There are too many believing in the doom and gloom and I refuse to believe it nor spread what I see as misinformation.

Old 11-29-12, 10:51 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Basically when L-Finesse design language graced Lexus models, although much more exiting looking, build quality suffered
Yes exactly
Old 11-29-12, 10:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blueprint
And people have always leased cars in ANY economy, good or bad and in many cases leases are a better financial decision than purchasing.
In this area (D.C.) even with its very high-income level compared to most of the rest of the country (several local counties rank in the nation's top 10), leasing is still what keeps a lot of the luxury-car buisness going.

Case in point the ES is no longer a low 30k entry level car, it starts at 37k is around 50k loaded and is selling better than ever with hardly any incentives right now.
Some of that, of course, is general price-inflation. Some is simply government-required equipment on new vehicles or gadgets that many customers demand.

This is not the place for personal interpretations on the economy when others disagree.
True, we have a debate forum for that, but the economy often decides car-sales.

If Lexus say pulled an Acura and dropped the TSX for the iLX like they are doing which starts at 25k, then MMarshall would have a point.
This is actually a very strange move on Acura's part...selling those two cars out of the same showrooms. The ILX and TSX have got to be having at least some some sales-overlap....though the TSX, of course, has the nice Sportwagon that the ILX lacks.

This is not the case, the price of the ES has moved up appropriately and the MARKET has RESPONDED.
What matters, though, is not necessarily list-prices, but what the dealer actually wants (in a discount or mark-up) and what the factory is willing to rebate (if any). The exact same car rarely sells for the same price at two different dealerships at random.....unless those two dealerships are in the same state (for sales-taxes) and you havea list-price-deal syatem like Scion or the way saturn used to do it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-30-12 at 09:17 AM.
Old 11-29-12, 10:56 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
being european, those older gens had very poor looking interiors for me...
Yes they look outdated, but quality do not age

Originally Posted by spwolf
except for SC. SC always looked expensive.
That is why I still own my SC430, it is the most expensive looking car at this price.
Old 11-29-12, 11:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BNR34

That is why I still own my SC430, it is the most expensive looking car at this price.
At 61K to start, the 2Gen SC430 was expensive in a lot more than just looks. It also has a superbly well-paneled wood dash, though the wood's color was a little ligth for my tastes.
Old 11-29-12, 12:28 PM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the thorough review, it's fun/interesting to hear different perspectives and takeaways on this car. One thing I'm happy you mentioned is the steering wheel feel. I was really impressed by it on my first drive in the '13 ES, it literally put a smile on my face. Definitely "super-slick" and solid without feeling heavy. I love the fact that the one thing your hands are in constant contact with as a driver(hopefully) is so well executed.
Old 11-29-12, 06:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by amphipri0n
Thanks for the thorough review, it's fun/interesting to hear different perspectives and takeaways on this car.
Glad I was able to help.

One thing I'm happy you mentioned is the steering wheel feel. I was really impressed by it on my first drive in the '13 ES, it literally put a smile on my face. Definitely "super-slick" and solid without feeling heavy. I love the fact that the one thing your hands are in constant contact with as a driver(hopefully) is so well executed.
Yes, Lexus typically does polished-wood steering wheels better than virtually any other mass-produced auto manufacturer, though I haven't had a chance to sample the latest Rolls-Royce, Bentley, or Maybach wheel in comparison.

Quick Reply: Happy Holidays, CL: MM Holiday-Review: 2013 Lexus ES350