Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2013 Chrysler Town and Country S is the van in black

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-12, 12:42 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Damn that looks awesome. It adds coolness to the Chrysler group minivan

Hmm.....maybe they should also make an SRT version of this
Holy crap! Imagine how many transmissions an SRT version will go through in its lifetime!!!
Old 11-27-12, 03:31 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

^^ they'd have to make it AWD for a SRT version

Man I miss the R63 AMG
Old 04-20-15, 01:34 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I just had the unfortunate opportunity of riding in one of these, American cars came a long way, but this one still blows

It feels so small inside, I couldn't believe it is a van, it feels more like a CUV. I had to go to the back to confirm the badge to believe it is really a Town and Country.

I didn't like it for my 15 minutes ride.

Last edited by BNR34; 04-20-15 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-20-15, 05:33 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
I just had the unfortunate opportunity of riding in one of these, American cars came a long way, but this one still blows

It feels so small inside, I couldn't believe it is a van, it feels more like a CUV. I had to go to the back to confirm the badge to believe it is really a Town and Country.

I didn't like it for my 15 minutes ride.
Good thing you didn't drive it...you would've cussed how bad the tranny is
Old 04-20-15, 05:43 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Good thing you didn't drive it...you would've cussed how bad the tranny is
I wasn't that unfortunate
Old 04-20-15, 06:24 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

It's an 8 year old design. All of that'll be addressed with the new model in January.
Old 04-20-15, 07:48 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BNR34
I got a Honda Odyssey that have a 16 years old design that I feel is wonderful

Are you saying Dodge's design is 17 years behind Honda?

I got a feeling the brand new 2017 Dodge van won't have as nice of a design as my 16 years old Honda, I think is a design issue, not a time issue
You're telling me your 1999 Honda Odyssey is better than the current Town & Country? About that...
Old 04-21-15, 07:37 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
You're telling me your 1999 Honda Odyssey is better than the current Town & Country? About that...
It's not. But I rent these all the time and I can definitely say my 2012 Odyssey blows it away. Especially in terms of handling. The Odyssey drives like a car...so composed. We put about 50k+ miles in about 2 years and it's been to hell and back with my crazy boys to everywhere. The interior holds up very well considering my kids are complete Neanderthals. The rentals I've had with a couple thousand miles don't seem to hold up as well...I know it's a rental but I think my kids are worse than most in terms of car destruction
Old 04-21-15, 08:56 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EZZ
It's not. But I rent these all the time and I can definitely say my 2012 Odyssey blows it away. Especially in terms of handling. The Odyssey drives like a car...so composed. We put about 50k+ miles in about 2 years and it's been to hell and back with my crazy boys to everywhere. The interior holds up very well considering my kids are complete Neanderthals. The rentals I've had with a couple thousand miles don't seem to hold up as well...I know it's a rental but I think my kids are worse than most in terms of car destruction
Yup, and that's why I mentioned the T&C is an 7 year old design, not to mention it was conceived in the darkest days of DaimlerChrysler/Cerberus leadership. FCA's update fixed some issues but couldn't correct missteps from a van that was developed under a different watch. Odd you mentioned handling though- that's the one area I thought the ChryCo vans did fine. C&D did too: http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test

The current gen Odyssey came out in 2011 and is all the better for it-unlike the Chrysler it didn't suffer from an extended lifecycle. I'm quite confident in the 2017 minivans. With the new Odyssey coming right after it this will a great show (if you find minivans remotely interesting).

This all to say I'm glad I don't have to drive rental minivans when I take business trips now.
Old 04-21-15, 09:08 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My family has gone through several Chrysler minivans, and several more transmissions. Never again. And from the reliability reports of the "new" Fiat/Chrysler, I won't be touching any of their vehicles for many years to come.

Best minivan on the road today is surprisingly the Sedona, IMO. Very nicely equipped inside, good engines, and the most attractive sheet metal I've seen on a minivan. Also great pricing.
Old 04-21-15, 09:39 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Yup, and that's why I mentioned the T&C is an 7 year old design, not to mention it was conceived in the darkest days of DaimlerChrysler/Cerberus leadership. FCA's update fixed some issues but couldn't correct missteps from a van that was developed under a different watch. Odd you mentioned handling though- that's the one area I thought the ChryCo vans did fine. C&D did too: http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test The current gen Odyssey came out in 2011 and is all the better for it-unlike the Chrysler it didn't suffer from an extended lifecycle. I'm quite confident in the 2017 minivans. With the new Odyssey coming right after it this will a great show (if you find minivans remotely interesting). This all to say I'm glad I don't have to drive rental minivans when I take business trips now.
I actually like the overall drive in the Honda better. It feels more planted to me but I guess C&D thought that it was too choppy. Guess I'm too used to my G35 coupe. Lol. The power train in the Honda was definitely better. The 6 speed tranny is pretty responsive. I like the Sienna power train best though.
Old 04-21-15, 10:33 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by T0ked
Best minivan on the road today is surprisingly the Sedona, IMO. Very nicely equipped inside, good engines, and the most attractive sheet metal I've seen on a minivan. Also great pricing.
Why is that surprising? It's the newest model on the scene. Given that it's a little small in the interior and doesn't have the best ride quality, I'm expect Honda and FCA will be able to exceed the bar that has been set.
Old 04-21-15, 08:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by T0ked
You won't have to convince SW13GS of that. He just picked one up for his family.

(I'm not spilling any beans here...he devoted the better part of a whole thread to it)