Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Consumer Reports on Latest Detroit Sedans & Lexus ES

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-12, 04:42 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb Consumer Reports on Latest Detroit Sedans & Lexus ES

Some of the latest new car models from Detroit automakers received mixed reviews from Consumer Reports and have failed to win a recommendation from the popular U.S. shopping guide.

The Dodge Dart, the 1st all-new model from the Fiat-Chrysler partnership, earned kudos for a solid feel, handling and ride, and upscale options, the magazine said today. But the compact sedan was dragged down by underpowered powertrains and didn’t score high enough by the magazine to be recommended.

The Dart, a replacement for the Dodge Caliber hatchback and Chrysler’s 1st legitimate small car since the Neon, is based on the same platform that underpins the Alfa Romeo Giulietta.

Consumer Reports testers found that the Dodge Dart has a relatively quiet cabin, fairly nimble handling, and taut yet compliant ride.

“Where the Dart stalls out is its powertrains,” the magazine said, adding the standard 2.0-liter 4-cylinder engine feels underpowered, while the optional 1.4-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder “is raspy and has drivability issues when mated with the optional dual-clutch automated manual transmission.”

The magazine said it tested a 2.0-liter Dart SXT priced at $20,680 and 1.4-liter Rallye model priced at $24,490.

“The Dart is the 1st decent compact car from Dodge in decades,” Jake Fisher, director of the Consumer Reports Auto Test Center, said in a statement. “It has some solid positives. But overall it can’t yet measure up to the best in class.”

Consumer Reports also failed to recommend the all-new Cadillac XTS and the Lincoln MKS sedans. The XTS scored much higher overall than the MKS in the matchup, but both cars underwhelmed the magazine’s testers in a segment dominated by German, Japanese, and Korean models.

The XTS is a replacement for the DTS and STS sedans in Cadillac’s lineup.

Consumer Reports said the Cadillac XTS was “wonderfully luxurious, with a very spacious and well-appointed cabin.”

Infotainment system 'frustrating'

But Cadillac’s new flagship is hampered by its CUE infotainment system, which testers found to be “convoluted and frustrating.”

The magazine applauded the Lincoln MKS’ plentiful features, quiet cabin and excellent fit and finish.

“But the car is hampered by its cramped driving position, ungainly handling, uncompromised ride, and limited visibility,” the magazine said. “With an overall road-test score of 60, the MKS is the lowest-rated luxury sedan in class, lagging far behind previously-tested standouts like the Audi A6 and Infiniti M37.”

The redesigned Lexus ES was also tested and received high marks for a comfortable, quiet interior, impressive hybrid and V6 drivetrains, and excellent fuel economy, particularly in hybrid form, the magazine said.

But the 2013 model took a step back in ride and interior refinement from the previous ES, Consumer Reports said.

“Although its handling didn’t impress and its controls were newly complicated, both tested trims -- the ES350, ($43,702) and the hybrid ES330h ($44,017) -- scored high enough overall to be recommended and rank among CR’s higher-Rated upscale sedans."

Spark scores low

The magazine also tested the Chevrolet Spark and said the 4-door subcompact produces excellent fuel economy of 34 mpg overall and 42 on the highway.

It has a surprisingly useable rear seat, a comprehensive assortment of features, and is affordably priced at $15,420, Consumer Reports said.

But sluggish acceleration, stiff and jittery ride and very noisy cabin dropped the Spark’s overall score to 34, the magazine said.

It is 1 of the lowest scoring cars tested by the magazine in recent years and is too low to recommend.

You can reach David Phillips at dphillips@crain.com.

Old 11-20-12, 08:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

The Spark generally didn't score any lower in CR testing than its two primary American-market rivals, the Smart-for-Two and Scion iQ. CR didn't care much for those two either......and neither did I, when I reviewed them (I haven't reviewed a Spark).

I agree that Dodge could have put a little more grunt under the hood of lower-level versions of the new Dart, but is an otherwise nice car, and, for those who want more spunk, an R/T model (and possibly an SRT) is forthcoming.

The redesigned Lexus ES was also tested and received high marks for a comfortable, quiet interior, impressive hybrid and V6 drivetrains, and excellent fuel economy, particularly in hybrid form, the magazine said.

But the 2013 model took a step back in ride and interior refinement from the previous ES, Consumer Reports said.
I haven't reviewed or driven one (yet), but the stiffer ride is probably due to the same reason so many other newly-redesigned cars have stiffer rides...the continuing obsession with lower-profile tires and firmer-rate springs/shock damping. As long as the manufacturers continue to ignore ride comfort (especially on rough-roads), we're going to have to put up with bumps and thumps.

Having said that, though, BMW and Mercedes, IMO, in general, come closest to the ideal mix of ride/handling than any other manufacturer. BMW especially, even with their Sport-Package suspensions and 35-series tires, can uncanilly mix good steering-response/feel with reasonable suppleness over bumps. Among American-badged cars, the new Buick LaCrosse and non-V Cadillac CTS come closest to the BMW standard....though I can't comment on the new XTS and MKS, as I haven't seen them.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-20-12 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-20-12, 08:40 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

At least the Dart looks decent
Old 11-20-12, 09:40 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

I dont think CR should evaluate cars for their ride and handling and power... but rather things to do with usability and reliability. I dont think anyone reads CR to see how their car handles.
Old 11-20-12, 09:42 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
I dont think CR should evaluate cars for their ride and handling and power... but rather things to do with usability and reliability. I dont think anyone reads CR to see how their car handles.
I they are road testing a car you have to evaluate all areas, or people would say the test is incomplete.
Old 11-20-12, 10:03 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm actually wondering how the Dart will sell, and how long it will last in production. My guess, not very long. Appeals to a limited audience.
Old 11-20-12, 10:19 AM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"1st legitimate small car since the Neon"

That implies the Neon was legitimate, it certainly was NOT.
Old 11-20-12, 10:24 AM
unklexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I they are road testing a car you have to evaluate all areas, or people would say the test is incomplete.
Yup, it's bad enough that the other mags focus their ratings almost entirely on how a car handles through the esses, on the track, 0 - whatever, etc. Things I quit doing 40 years ago.

Well, maybe an occasional goose on an entrance ramp.
Old 11-20-12, 11:14 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
"1st legitimate small car since the Neon"

That implies the Neon was legitimate, it certainly was NOT.
for first few years it got rave reviews in US car mags, didnt it?
Old 11-20-12, 01:46 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by spwolf
for first few years it got rave reviews in US car mags, didnt it?
How people forget. The Neon was hailed as a great small car with tons of room due to the "cab forwad" design and the SRT-4 was a beast. A big problem was poor build quality.

Old 11-20-12, 01:50 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Originally Posted by Blueprint
How people forget. The Neon was hailed as a great small car with tons of room due to the "cab forwad" design and the SRT-4 was a beast. A big problem was poor build quality.
...and everything else. Almost as bad as the "Ford Pinto". That's IMO though. (btw, the Scion IQ was thought to be a very reliable car before it was tested. It's score from CR is 27 out of 100. Didn't even have a spare tire. To tell you the truth, i have never been a Dodge guy. Vipers are cool though

Last edited by SC400slide; 11-20-12 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-20-12, 07:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I didn't forget. I was familiar with the Neon from the day it first hit dealerships back in the mid-90s. Yes, it had good space-efficiency for a compact. And, yes, the ACR versions were nice little racers. But, as you note, build-quality was a joke...as it was for a number of Chrysler products of the era. Today's Dart, though still brand-new with no reliability record to speak of yet, appears to be far better-built, using much nicer materials. Yet it does use a modified Alfa platform, with Fiat-sourced engines....and Italian vehicles are generally not known for the highest reliability.
Old 11-20-12, 07:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SC400slide
I'm actually wondering how the Dart will sell, and how long it will last in production. My guess, not very long. Appeals to a limited audience.
I think it will sell in decent/acceptable numbers...if, for no other reason, to some people who wasted their money getting burned with earlier Neons/Calibers. They (hopefully) will see that Dodge, after those disappointing earlier compacts, has at least partly redeemed itself with the Dart. And the Dart nameplate, of course, brings back the memory of a very popular 60s/70s-era compact that had a Slant-Six engine and Torqueflite automatic as durable as iron. (In fact, I first learned how to drive on a 60's era-Dart)

BTW, when I bought my Buick Verano earlier this year, I myself looked at a Dart as a possible purchase. I didn't like it quite as much as the Verano, Kia Optima, Lexus ES, or Subaru Legacy/Outback, but it was easily in my Top Ten consideratons....ranked about 5th or 6th.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-20-12 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11-20-12, 07:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

How people forget.
some people didn't forget because they are too young to remember.
Old 11-20-12, 07:57 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
some people didn't forget because they are too young to remember.

The SRT4 Neons look okay I guess

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports on Latest Detroit Sedans & Lexus ES