Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Lexus HS 250h Coming to Japan

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-12, 06:06 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
imho they already have the ct, anything else it starts to get not-so-luxury
well, it is for Japan these days... and based on Avensis... too bad they made it look like cheaper Corolla.

ES300h for Japanese is probably gigantic car.

This actually looks much nicer, so it solves two big problems by original HS250h - looks and mpg/performance (if it uses 200hp engine now and gets 40 MPG).

I would not be surprised if version of this goes worldwide by 2014/2015 when brand new generation is introduced, as ES300h does not sell in Europe and it is very different car to this.
Old 11-20-12, 08:20 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
That thing will be an electric car based on the Nissan Leaf FYI.

The HS is not that small, about 185 inches long. The ILX is a pos that is civc based and no acura has the tech of the HS. The Verano is ILX competiton, both loaded are not the price of the 2012 HS base. The A3 is a CT competitor. Your post shows the continued confusion about the HS as Lexus didn't do its usual great job with it. It wasn't Corolla based and it wasn't cheap. There was even a sportier "Touring" version that I don't think got any series magazine review and it seems impossible to find.

What was mind blowing was the price of the HS, it was around 37k base in 2012 and 48k loaded. Ours has a MSRP over 45k, it was not a bargain but it does have a lot of tech not available in any car at this price range.

Looks, a high price and a 3rd sedan in the same price range as the IS/ES killed it. As some have said maybe a coupe would have worked.

That is one aggresive front end for a car with 185hp

Japan though seems to love the HS as it was the top selling Lexus there. It is my belief now that Lexus rushed it over to stop some sales bleeding until they got back on their feet. I just don't see how having 3 sedans 35k-50k would work.
Yes I am aware that it is an electric car, but that doesn't mean they won't offer a gasoline version.

The A3 also comes in sedan form as well.

My point exactly, Lexus should have offered a cheaper non-hybrid version of the HS. It would have probably sold better.

Say what you may about the ILX, (I'm not a fan either) but it doing its job, bringing in younger buyers and has good sale numbers.
Old 11-20-12, 09:44 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
Yes I am aware that it is an electric car, but that doesn't mean they won't offer a gasoline version.

My point exactly, Lexus should have offered a cheaper non-hybrid version of the HS. It would have probably sold better.

Say what you may about the ILX, (I'm not a fan either) but it doing its job, bringing in younger buyers and has good sale numbers.
not really... Lexus does need to compete with Toyota.

Acura is different story... they are fighting to survive.
Old 11-20-12, 09:58 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

I just saying I wouldn't mind seeing a $30k gasoline HS. I would be in the market for one.
Old 11-20-12, 10:14 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

I just saying I wouldn't mind seeing a $30k gasoline HS. I would be in the market for one.
i am sure you would have paid $2k more for 200hp 40 MPG HS250h that looked as nice as this here....
Old 11-20-12, 10:37 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
i am sure you would have paid $2k more for 200hp 40 MPG HS250h that looked as nice as this here....
Yeah, $32k doesn't sound too bad.
Old 11-20-12, 12:09 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best rendering of the spindle grille on a production Lexus yet IMO. This is what the ES's front end should've looked like, instead of that awkward snout.

Suprised that they haven't bothered to update the HS with the new 2.5L hybrid but instead continue to use the outdated 2.4L.
Old 11-20-12, 12:14 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So hold on HS carries a predator grill with blacked out split bar?

OK where is the GS product chief now...
Old 11-20-12, 12:33 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
Best rendering of the spindle grille on a production Lexus yet IMO. This is what the ES's front end should've looked like, instead of that awkward snout.

Suprised that they haven't bothered to update the HS with the new 2.5L hybrid but instead continue to use the outdated 2.4L.
Like in the HS pic,the ES shouldn't have that ugly hood line.
I believe the ES is the only Lexus that has the hood line with the spindle grill.Why?
Old 11-20-12, 01:42 PM
LexFather

They haven't made any plans to make a gas version. There is another car coming I think based off a Renault or A-class that will be an Infiniti hatch though in the future.

A3 sedan in Europe, not here.

I don't think a petrol version would have helped. The HS had too much going against it.

The ILX is a disaster, its a 25-35 grand car, they expected to sell 40k a year, they are on target for HALF that number. Its also not bringing in younger buyers but just old, loyal Honda customers. It has less tech and features than a Camry or their own Accord. It is an awful offering to have a luxury badge, a modern day G20. They figured out how to make a car much worse than the HS

Old 11-20-12, 01:55 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

They haven't made any plans to make a gas version. There is another car coming I think based off a Renault or A-class that will be an Infiniti hatch though in the future.

I don't think a petrol version would have helped. The HS had too much going against it.

The ILX is a disaster, its a 25-35 grand car, they expected to sell 40k a year, they are on target for HALF that number. Its also not bringing in younger buyers but just old, loyal Honda customers. It has less tech and features than a Camry or their own Accord. It is an awful offering to have a luxury badge, a modern day G20. They figured out how to make a car much worse than the HS
I like Honda and I agree.
Old 11-20-12, 02:31 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Yes but we all know automakers add different drivetrains to existing models all the time. That car will no longer be built with Mercedes, Renault-Nissan will go in at it by themselves.

The next A3 will be coming as a sedan to the US.

I think a gasoline HS priced at $30k would have done good, seeing that their cheapest sedan is $35k.

Acura hardly ever hits their sales goals. I know its comparing apples to oranges, but at its current rate its doing a lot better than the HS.
Old 11-20-12, 06:10 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Looks really good. I'm really liking the spindle grill. I didn't really like the Ford Fusion grill on the HS 250h. Maybe one day Lexus will bring back the HS to the U.S...
Old 11-22-12, 11:00 PM
modernx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Lexus HS 250h Facelift

After being discontinued in N.A do to low sale numbers, the HS 250h is the latest Lexus to gain the Spindle Grille treatment.

Link
Old 11-24-12, 11:23 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Front is better now.
Rest of car is still FUGLY!

Quick Reply: New Lexus HS 250h Coming to Japan