Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Stupidest Tire Technician EVER...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-13, 06:29 AM
corbryant
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupidest Tire Technician EVER...

HAH! I'm about to lose my mind here... I bought new tires yesterday and it rained last night, so I go out to wash the car early this morning. Decided to do some minor chip repair on the factory IS250 wheels and realized that the tire tech has carved RF, LF, RR, LR into the outer lip of each wheel, respectively. Not chalk...not marker...scratched...

So.. I've stopped what I was doing and come inside and gather my thoughts. I'm just...just kind of amazed here! I keep smiling and I think it's more of a psychotic smile than me laughing at the situation. I just got this car less than a month ago and it's immaculate. Not a scratch on it, and now this.

So I'll say this, and not to be a Billy Bad-*** or anything, but this kid is lucky they've legalized marijuana here. I don't think I would be able to hold my temper otherwise. I've been doing business with this shop for a decade and never had even a ding on any of my wheels, custom or not. They have touch-less mounting systems designed to NOT scratch the wheels and along comes an ***-clown with a pocketknife and a great idea.
Old 09-02-13, 06:34 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

they've legalized marijuana here
its not legal in texas

...so when you're not DUI, take your car back to tire shop and have them repair or order new wheels.

Last edited by bagwell; 09-02-13 at 06:49 AM.
Old 09-02-13, 08:16 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

I can't believe this! Is this an independent shop? Talk directly to the owner. New wheels or have them pay for full repair. Chain business? Call the corporate office unless you're satisfied with what the manager might do.

This is utterly outrageous.
Old 09-02-13, 08:27 AM
corbryant
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bagwell
its not legal in texas

...so when you're not DUI, take your car back to tire shop and have them repair or order new wheels.
I live in Colorado now. 100% legal here.
Old 09-02-13, 08:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

maybe post pics here for us to see the carved outer lips?
Old 09-02-13, 08:40 AM
corbryant
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
I can't believe this! Is this an independent shop? Talk directly to the owner. New wheels or have them pay for full repair. Chain business? Call the corporate office unless you're satisfied with what the manager might do.

This is utterly outrageous.
Can you imagine the look on my face the second I ran my fingernail across it and realized he'd carved it in? It's stupid on so many levels. I just went down there and the owner isn't due in until 12 today so I'm waiting to hear from him. I showed one of the other guys there and he about lost it. Like I say, I've been doing business with them for a decade and never had an issue. Often drove from my parents place in Texas to Colorado to get wheels. So I just have to blame it on a stupid move by someone who needs to find another job. If he's that shallow minded when changing tires, I'd hate to see what he does to a brake job or alignment.

Drive away with the steering wheel upside down. SMH
Old 09-02-13, 08:57 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats just as bad as the *** hat who was putting balancing stickers on my wheels, he took a grinder and grinded the area to seat the weight stickers. I was going crazy after i found out. They have no common sense.
Old 09-02-13, 09:18 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by corbryant
I live in Colorado now. 100% legal here.
change your location on CL...still shows texas
Old 09-02-13, 09:55 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

That happen quite often in tire shop when they have old machine and careless.

Whenever I need to put new tire / tire rotation, balancing, I always tell them not to scratch the wheel by using a small foam tower & it works great, not even a mark on the wheel
Old 09-02-13, 10:05 AM
corbryant
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
maybe post pics here for us to see the carved outer lips?
Here ya go.

Old 09-02-13, 10:10 AM
corbryant
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
Thats just as bad as the *** hat who was putting balancing stickers on my wheels, he took a grinder and grinded the area to seat the weight stickers. I was going crazy after i found out. They have no common sense.
When degreaser just won't do. =)
Old 09-02-13, 10:15 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I am more surprised you decided to come here on the forum when what you should be doing is going back to that place and demanding they pay for a set of new OEM wheels. Not refinishing, but a new set.
Old 09-02-13, 11:27 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

wow, a wax crayon would have been a lot easier.
Old 09-02-13, 12:01 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

The tech is being considerate for future technicians. No mixing them up unless the next tech cannot read.
Old 09-02-13, 12:32 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by corbryant
HAH! I'm about to lose my mind here... I bought new tires yesterday and it rained last night, so I go out to wash the car early this morning. Decided to do some minor chip repair on the factory IS250 wheels and realized that the tire tech has carved RF, LF, RR, LR into the outer lip of each wheel, respectively. Not chalk...not marker...scratched...

So.. I've stopped what I was doing and come inside and gather my thoughts. I'm just...just kind of amazed here! I keep smiling and I think it's more of a psychotic smile than me laughing at the situation. I just got this car less than a month ago and it's immaculate. Not a scratch on it, and now this.

So I'll say this, and not to be a Billy Bad-*** or anything, but this kid is lucky they've legalized marijuana here. I don't think I would be able to hold my temper otherwise. I've been doing business with this shop for a decade and never had even a ding on any of my wheels, custom or not. They have touch-less mounting systems designed to NOT scratch the wheels and along comes an ***-clown with a pocketknife and a great idea.
calms them nerves. Can't be angry

Last edited by Hoovey689; 09-02-13 at 02:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Stupidest Tire Technician EVER...