Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motortrend: 2012 Buick LaCrosse vs. 2012 Hyundai Azera vs. 2013 Lexus ES 350

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-12, 05:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Lol no they don't. The Genesis and GS compete about as head to head as the Chrysler 300 competes with the 7 series.
If ones says a Genesis competes with a Lexus, then the Genesis does compete with GS.

There is no way the Genesis competes with the ES350. Like I said in an earlier post, the ES competes head on with the XTS and MKZ.
Old 11-09-12, 06:56 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
If ones says a Genesis competes with a Lexus, then the Genesis does compete with GS.

There is no way the Genesis competes with the ES350. Like I said in an earlier post, the ES competes head on with the XTS and MKZ.
The Genesis competes with the Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger, and to a lesser extent the Cadillac CTS.
Old 11-09-12, 07:52 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I saw the nex es in the dealership and i loved it. First es i have genuinely liked since the 2001. It seems like everyone else likes it to, but who knows maybe motortrend saw other wise
Old 11-09-12, 08:04 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
The article was strange.
However,MT is a rag when an article isn't too pleasing for a ES but a great magazine when it reviewed the new GS?
"There should be outrage and backlash against MT for such appalling lies and contradictions"
The article is how the writers felt about the ES.As bitkahuna posted, ES sales won't suffer because of it.
I've always found MT to be the worst auto magazine of the popular 4 or 5.Especially when it comes to their choices of the car or truck of the year.
If MT reviews fairly, that's fine, but I won't be praising them just because they rate a Lexus highly. It will be nice to see yes, but they have little credibility. Yes, they are a rag, and no better than a tabloid magazine really.

This is not about sales or even how the writers feel. This goes deeper than that. Months ago an enthusiast site discovered a big corruption/conspiracy among auto journalists in terms of how they review certain brands. The truth came out that certain brands bribe journalists and reviews with fancy hotels and restaurants, while brands that don't bribe are reviewed harshly and unfairly. For the most part, the reason why Toyota/Lexus, and even sometimes Honda and Nissan suffer in comparison tests is because their vehicles are reviewed harshly or unfairly, due to a strong bias against then from journalists, since they don't engage in the fancy hotel/restaurant bribing that other brands do. Yes in some reviews the Japanese do well, but more often they do poorly in reviews, or least have done poorly for years. Then we look at what brands consistently have done very well in reviews for several years, and no surprise, but it is German brands, Hyundai/Kia, and some American brands.

So my original point remains. Either Hyundai gave a nice cut of revenue to the writers/MT, or, Hyundai bribed them with fancy hotels and restaurants.

Factually, the ES beat the Azera in almost every category. Even if the writers subjectively felt that the Azera was somehow better, the ES at least should have been ranked 2nd and not last, based on all the FACTUAL data that was obtained in the review.

There is absolutely ZERO sense in awarding the ES last place, when factually, it was pretty much 1st in every category.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 11-09-12 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-09-12, 08:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by gray_es300
I saw the nex es in the dealership and i loved it. First es i have genuinely liked since the 2001. It seems like everyone else likes it to, but who knows maybe motortrend saw other wise
I generally like it too, I'm still getting used to the front end, in kinda looks "sharkish" to me. But I like better than the last gen.

The inside, I really like it. The base models are not as good as the higher end models but I really like the fully loaded models.

The real issue I have is that MT should be comparing Hyundai and Buick to Toyota and the Avalon and not Lexus or ES. Its a black mark to Lexus to be compared to Buick and Hyundai.
Old 11-09-12, 11:26 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

The real issue I have is that MT should be comparing Hyundai and Buick to Toyota and the Avalon and not Lexus or ES. Its a black mark to Lexus to be compared to Buick and Hyundai.
Like it or not, people cross shop Buick, Toyota, Lexus, Acura, Nissan, Hyundia, Mazda, Ford, Chrysler, Honda, etc. Sometimes people who can afford a $40,000 ES and look at one end up buying a $25,000 Ford Fusion or whatever because they don't think they're really buying $15,000 more worth of car.

The ES isn't "top shelf" its a VERY NICE FWD family car priced at about the top of the mark of what somebody would pay for such a car.
Old 11-09-12, 11:40 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Like it or not, people cross shop Buick, Toyota, Lexus, Acura, Nissan, Hyundia, Mazda, Ford, Chrysler, Honda, etc. Sometimes people who can afford a $40,000 ES and look at one end up buying a $25,000 Ford Fusion or whatever because they don't think they're really buying $15,000 more worth of car.

The ES isn't "top shelf" its a VERY NICE FWD family car priced at about the top of the mark of what somebody would pay for such a car.
I'd back this. Well put
Old 11-09-12, 11:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
This comparo is pure insanity.

"Although its stability system is still presiding over matters, its touch is so subtle, I was able to slightly spin the inside front tire at will while cornering.
Isnt this what these journalist want? A system that isnt over sensitive?
yes and that quote is a compliment, not a criticism.
Old 11-09-12, 11:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
2013 Lexus ES 350
Price as tested: $36,995

2012 Hyundai Azera
Price as tested: $36,875

$36,995
- $36,875
$120

$120 is sheer value?
there's a mistake in the article there. the BASE price of the ES is $36,995 but if you want one with nav (as shown in the article) it's at least $42700 (i checked on lexus.com) so there's a near $6k difference in price.
Old 11-10-12, 12:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GFerg
The quietest in this test, yet its to loud?
they acknowledge that technically the es350 is (by a hair) the quietest, but i think it's that they (and most people) are used to lexus vehicles being a 'wow' quieter than others. the reality is, the competition has caught up, and lexus is now struggling with cost/weight/economy trade-offs to keep the car much quieter than anything else.

not knocking the new ES - it's wonderful! but it's also pricey when compared like in the article. the real problem is building the entry lux model in japan makes it too expensive.

quickest and best fuel economy by far.
definitely quickest in a straight line by far, but f/e only a bit better than azera.

So basically its better than the other cars in just about every test here, yet comes in last because it lost to its predecessor? Not the cars in this test, its predecessor.
that's not what the article says. they give the azera the win because it's close enough to the others but a lot cheaper. the es comes in behind the buick because they basically like how the buick drives better in environment that no one would actually drive it in, which is kinda lame...

in an 'enthusiast' magazine, they just didn't appreciate the lexus refinement, imo. i think the es350 is a significantly nicer vehicle than both the hyundai and the buick.

oh well, as i said, it won't hurt sales.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 11-10-12 at 12:08 AM.
Old 11-10-12, 06:12 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

not knocking the new ES - it's wonderful! but it's also pricey when compared like in the article. the real problem is building the entry lux model in japan makes it too expensive.
i dont think there is an problem with ES350 price, do you? Are you supposed to get Lexus at the price of Hyundai?

If you cant appreciate differences between Lexus and Hyundai, Toyota has an Avalon for you.
Old 11-10-12, 06:25 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. They preferred a couple of other cars over the ES (I disagree too. I've had 2 of them) but MT has never given the ES350 very positive reviews. Not a big deal IMO.
Old 11-13-12, 08:21 AM
unklexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=spwolf;7591372]i dont think there is an problem with ES350 price, do you? Are you supposed to get Lexus at the price of Hyundai?..
QUOTE]

Yes, with a Genesis, which though a tad outdated now is much more Lexusy-ritzy inside/out than the Azera, and virtually the same price as a 350, a nice big family sedan for $40k. The Azera I test drove before I bought my ES was very nice, and only $33k. Was very tempted but it was it's first year. It truly is the Avalon of Hyundai.

I love my ES, but I do miss the no sunroof option in the Azera, I'd much rather have the extra headroom in the ES.

I'll never subscribe to M & T for sure.