Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

new Maserati Quattroporte

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-13, 06:55 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I think you need to see both in person before making such a declaration. Since I so loved the previous Quattroporte, I've read 5 or 6 reviews of the new car. All of the reviews gripe about the interior being a serious downgrade from the previous Quattroporte in terms of fit/finish. The previous car was a lot like a Bentley, in that the wood and leather were all done by hand. Granted the Nav/Radio system sucked, but you did feel like you were in a hand-crafted car.

I've seen pictures, this thing uses the same window switchgear, headlight ****, and nav/infotainment system you find in a VERY nicely equipped $23,000 Dodge Dart. That is utter bull**** IMO and reason enough for me not to buy it.
I haven't seen any reviews complaining about the fit of the interior. All I've seen are people complaining about the Chrysler-sourced window switches and navigation system. Furthermore, they've said it lacks the stylistic flair in the interior, with a more plain look this time around. So no complaints about fit...just the lack of stylistic flair and some window switches. It definitely has a simplistic interior like the new Range Rover.

I do wonder if the last-gen Quattroporte had Fiat parts bin buttons in it. Usually small companies have to look to their parent for such things.It should also bother you Ferraris have been using uConnect Chrysler navigation systems for years now.
Old 04-15-13, 09:10 AM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my honest opinion, ever since the buyouts of Rolls Royce and Bentley, I don't think there are anymore "true to their roots" super luxuries anymore. This includes the sporty super luxuries like maser, lambo, and ferrari. They probably just dont have the funding to continue on their own and supply their own materials/style.

You'll see rolls royce and bentley's big cars sharing components with the 7 series and A8 respectively. Even though it is not the greatest thing in the world, it is the unfortunate reality of economics. And honestly it is quite alright with me.

Besides, those fortunate few who can afford such luxuries are probably more concerned over the fact that they are riding in a Phantom/Mulsanne rather than such a poor man's car like the 760Li or S8. I mean really.... Everyone can afford a 7 series. Lol.

But ya, part sharing is just natural and doesnt really deter me from liking a car.
Old 04-15-13, 10:36 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by trexlexus
In my honest opinion, ever since the buyouts of Rolls Royce and Bentley, I don't think there are anymore "true to their roots" super luxuries anymore. This includes the sporty super luxuries like maser, lambo, and ferrari. They probably just dont have the funding to continue on their own and supply their own materials/style.

You'll see rolls royce and bentley's big cars sharing components with the 7 series and A8 respectively. Even though it is not the greatest thing in the world, it is the unfortunate reality of economics. And honestly it is quite alright with me.

Besides, those fortunate few who can afford such luxuries are probably more concerned over the fact that they are riding in a Phantom/Mulsanne rather than such a poor man's car like the 760Li or S8. I mean really.... Everyone can afford a 7 series. Lol.

But ya, part sharing is just natural and doesnt really deter me from liking a car.
Everyone shares something these days, Bugatti while partnered with VW group seems to be one of the few that builds its cars with no expense spared. They share very little with lesser companies aside from maybe a basic engine block design that they combined for the W16. I have read that many of the parts in the interior are meticulously milled out of aluminum just for the Veyron and cost thousands of dollars a piece. The car is totally unique in its look, powerplant, hp, and performance. Pagani uses mostly unique in house parts/designs for its stylish interiors though they share Mercedes engines and some Mercedes electronics I believe. McLaren uses mostly its own designs/parts in the F1 and MP4-12C without sharing much aside from the BMW special engine in the F1.

I have read from a few sources that the interior in the new Quattroporte is a pretty significant step down in quality and they use a lot of Chrysler sourced parts though the last Quattroporte also had some cheaper bits and pieces in its interior and aged electronics.
Old 04-16-13, 08:56 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hot damn

The more that I look at this car, the more I like it even more.

This could actually be the first Maserati that I would desire to personally own and drive (apart from the Gran Turismo MC Stradale/Sport Line)

Old 04-16-13, 06:11 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

I like everything about the car except for the rear. It looks a bit anti climatic. The front and profile ooze elegance. The rear, though classy, is a little boring. Those taillights look straight off of a ford fusion.

The rear of the outgoing generation is better looking.
Old 04-17-13, 04:09 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

^^^
Even if I may not necessarily agree, I still acknowledge that it's a valid opinion.

Some have commented that it reminds them of a certain Mitsubishi

Still with that said, I personally believe that the new QP will look even better in real life than in pictures.

=)
Old 04-17-13, 06:45 AM
Dream36
Pole Position

Not sure where you live but the local dealer for me is on the same block as my work (so is Audi, Lexus, Cadillac, Acura, BMW, etc.) I just walk around during smoke breaks looking at their cars. I think the v8tt 2 door they currently have on the lot is by far the sexiest Maserati to date (current as in it is brand spanking new). If I were to go with a 4 door car it would have to be the Audi S5 hands down, although the exhaust on the Maseratis are just insane and beautiul at same time/
Old 04-17-13, 02:53 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Dream36
Not sure where you live but the local dealer for me is on the same block as my work (so is Audi, Lexus, Cadillac, Acura, BMW, etc.) I just walk around during smoke breaks looking at their cars. I think the v8tt 2 door they currently have on the lot is by far the sexiest Maserati to date (current as in it is brand spanking new). If I were to go with a 4 door car it would have to be the Audi S5 hands down, although the exhaust on the Maseratis are just insane and beautiul at same time/
Unless you're talking about the S5 Sportback sold outside the US, what you're describing does not exist, and you're thinking of the S4, S6, S7 or S8.
Old 04-18-13, 05:43 AM
Dream36
Pole Position

i am talking of the S5, they have hand outs here you can grab of it. it is just sexy, when I worked for audi in 2000 i wanted the a3 but it never came stateside either
Old 10-02-13, 07:22 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

This sorts of validates the notion that when you have the same car but with different engine options, then more cylinders and more displacement = more power and performance.

Take these two pics for example:

Six cylinder twin turbo

Eight cylinder twin turbo

You can easily spot the differences.

And this asserts the notion that if you are really wealthy (i.e. six figures income or more), then you would obviously choose the V8 over the V6 petrol or the V6 diesel.

I mean why limit yourself when your funds and income have exceed those limits (or is virtually unlimited).

P.S.
Note: Unless of course, you really need a Quattroporte with All Wheel Drive.......which is currently only available with the V6 engine (i.e. S Q4 version)

Other than that, then go all out with the most powerful version (which is the V8)

Last edited by Blackraven; 10-02-13 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-02-13, 08:06 AM
LexFather

Wow the TT V-8 revs to 7k!

Old 10-02-13, 09:26 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Wow the TT V-8 revs to 7k!
Indeed.

The TT-V6 is only limited up to around probably 6,300 RPM. I would only get the V6 version IF AND ONLY IF I absolutely need a 4WD/AWD Quattroporte.

Other than that, there's no reason to skip going all out and just settling for the top-of-the-line V8.

I mean seriously, the redline allows you to go beyond 7,000 RPM. Also, check the differences in the speedometers. Those should tell you about maximum top speed (Vmax) between the two engines.

The V6 diesel doesn't seem to be on my list as well. I mean, it's a nice engine and all (and VM Motori makes good diesel engines no doubt). The torque amount of 600 Nm is higher than what the V6 petrol has. However, it's horsepower rating is only at 275 HP (which is the lowest in the Quattroporte range) and this is why the V6 diesel is the slowest Quattroporte version. I can't see anyone getting the Diesel variant for performance purposes.

Also, if your purpose is to save money, save fuel and save the planet, then WHY THE HELL ARE YOU BUYING A MASERATI IN THE FIRST PLACE!?!?!?

Go buy a Prius instead or better yet, ride a bike, take public transportation and walk instead.

Point is: Maserati predicts that 60% of the buyers of the new Quattroporte WILL go for the V8.

I for one believe in that prediction and I thus believe that the target market will say that as well.

Word

Last edited by Blackraven; 10-02-13 at 09:31 AM.
Old 10-02-13, 10:08 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Surprisingly I haven't seen this new Quattroporte in black. gah that's gotta be s*x on wheels
Old 10-03-13, 07:18 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Surprisingly I haven't seen this new Quattroporte in black. gah that's gotta be s*x on wheels
Most definitely.

It is a quantum leap over the predecessor (especially the interior).

In fact, I see no reason why I would choose the Ghilbi over this.

In fact, I would prefer to upgrade from Business Class (Ghilbi) all the way to First Class (Quattroporte) in a heartbeat
Old 01-09-15, 08:04 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Maserati Quattroporte GTS is More Sports Car than Luxury Saloon

Let’s face it, people in the market for a large luxury sedan currently have two basic choices: the Mercedes-Benz S-Class or any of its competitors.

Among these rivals, we have other German saloons (Audi A8, BMW 7-Series, Porsche Panamera) as well as outsiders like the Lexus LS, Cadillac XTS, Jaguar XJ and the Maserati Quattroporte, to name only the most important models.

Of all these cars, the latter is probably the one that differs the most from its rivals, both in appearance and in substance. The elegant, Italian design is combined on the top-of-the-range Quattroporte GTS with a Ferrari-built 3.8-liter twin-turbo V8 engine that produces 523hp (530PS), which is enough to accelerate it from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 4.7 seconds and to reach a top speed of 307 km/h (191 mph).

These figures along with a suspension that is firmer than most of its competitors’ led Carbuyer’s Ginny Buckley to the conclusion that the Quattroporte GTS is more of a sports car than a luxury saloon. Find out what other things she had to say about the big Maser from the review posted below.
http://www.carscoops.com/2015/01/mas...s-is-more.html