Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Consumer Reports finds small hatchbacks most reliable, upscale cars least

Old 11-05-12, 08:50 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Consumer Reports finds small hatchbacks most reliable, upscale cars least

Consumer Reports finds small hatchbacks most reliable, upscale cars least

Following up on its report on which carmakers it found to be the most and least reliable, Consumer Reports has released its predicted reliability ratings based on vehicle type. Those at the top are a varied crew but mostly adhere to one theme: they're small, or small for their segment. Hatchbacks with good fuel economy (like Toyota's Prius C, the most reliable single model this time out), "compact" sports sedans and pickups and "small" SUVs take the day. The one exception to the size qualifier among the most reliable cars is wagons, which also make the cut. The nine hatches and ten wagons included in the survey are further distinguished by the fact that every one of them achieved average or above average reliability.

At the other end – the service-bay end – are luxury SUVs, minivans and "upscale" cars. Upscale is a different category than "luxury" – in a 2009 test of upscale sedans prices ranged from $33,660 to $40,880 and included wares like the Pontiac G8, Lexus ES, Hyundai Genesis and Jaguar XF (none of which is referred to in this predicted reliability report), while luxury cars are "usually more opulent and costly."

Small cars were the last vehicle type above the line before upscale compact SUVs dipped into the negative numbers. Out of ten upscale cars in the survey only half were reliable, and CR said minivans took a hit by dint of the paucity of options.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/05/c...t-reliable-up/
Old 11-05-12, 09:01 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

small cars usually have little to no electronic gadgets....

so my thinking is...more gadgets, more problems.
Old 11-05-12, 09:09 AM
LexFather

So things with more can break more. Got it.

Also Lexus has destroyed this belief since for 20+ years they are among The best or the best in quality.

Old 11-05-12, 09:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Why would small hatchbacks be any more reliable than small sedans? I don't see, on the 3-door hatchbacks, where adding a couple of back doors and a separate trunk would make any significant difference.
Old 11-05-12, 10:40 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No way I'm ever going back though to manual roll-on/roll-off windows.

This is the 21st century for godsake
Old 11-05-12, 02:08 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
small cars usually have little to no electronic gadgets....

so my thinking is...more gadgets, more problems.
yeah, except it is Prius c...

p.s. I dont get whats the difference between fuel efficient small hatchbacks and small hatchbacks. Because according to CR, small hatchbacks are 50% less reliable than fuel efficient ones.
Old 11-05-12, 04:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

CR fail or at least stating the obvious... again.
Old 11-05-12, 06:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
No way I'm ever going back though to manual roll-on/roll-off windows.
Well, except maybe for people with hand/arm/shoulder problems, I don't have any issues with manual window cranks, especially in lower-priced vehicles. I've seen too many power-window switches/relays/regulators fail after several years. .....including a couple of my own. Worse, you don't want it failing in the down-position just as a rainstorm comes up. Properly lubricated/greased, a manual-crank mechanism usually lasts the life of the vehicle without failing, unless the window-channels are damaged.