Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai, Kia admit to overstating fuel economy

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-12, 12:08 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, for $88/car/year... pocket change for the $20,000 - $30,000 they received. I'm sure this "procedural error" was spotted early on (perhaps even encouraged) in order to ramp their marketing and sales. Hyundai and Kia are the only ones to profit from this.
Old 11-02-12, 01:37 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

On the other hand, this calculation also shows how fickle minded people are. For a mere saving of $88/year, they were willing to switch brands.
Old 11-02-12, 02:13 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,682 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
On the other hand, this calculation also shows how fickle minded people are. For a mere saving of $88/year, they were willing to switch brands.
It could have been the tipping point for some people. I agree that the compensation is nothing compared to what Hyundai likely gained from the inflated numbers.
Old 11-02-12, 04:09 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Of the current cars my family owns, the only cars that have hit their advertised mileage is the S550 highway rating and my gf's Tucson highway rating.
Old 11-02-12, 06:28 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Problem is, with many drivers, the heavier their foot goes down on the gas-pedal, the more they tend to complain about fuel-economy. The EPA figures are not meant to reflect aggressive driving. Weather and climate also plays a big role......all else equal, even with less A/C use, fuel-economy is significantly lower in cold weather because of longer engine/transmission warm-ups and an overall richer air/fuel mixture in the injectors.
i expect you to understand by now that EPA tests are not done in real world but in labs, under controlled conditions so they can be repeated 10 out of 10 times.

As such, when EPA tested these cars, they found that lab tests were up to 6 mpg too optimistic.

it has nothing to do with heavier foot or anything you wrote above. it has nothing to do with real life. it is lab test designed to be reproducible every single time.
Old 11-03-12, 12:44 PM
LexFather

Many of us called this from day one. I have to say I think it's great Hyundai and Kia admit a problem and are not ignoring it. They won't be taken to court like the Honda civic hybrid fiasco. They should be commended for admitting a mistake.

What we also need done are profound apologies from the hyunDai/Kia fluffers who argued to death people were wrong and the 40mpg etc was accurate and it was people's fault. They inundated forums with crap.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Problem is, with many drivers, the heavier their foot goes down on the gas-pedal, the more they tend to complain about fuel-economy. The EPA figures are not meant to reflect aggressive driving. Weather and climate also plays a big role......all else equal, even with less A/C use, fuel-economy is significantly lower in cold weather because of longer engine/transmission warm-ups and an overall richer air/fuel mixture in the injectors.
Please just stop. Stop.

Old 11-03-12, 01:13 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Many of us called this from day one. I have to say I think it's great Hyundai and Kia admit a problem and are not ignoring it. They won't be taken to court like the Honda civic hybrid fiasco. They should be commended for admitting a mistake.

What we also need done are profound apologies from the hyunDai/Kia fluffers who argued to death people were wrong and the 40mpg etc was accurate and it was people's fault. They inundated forums with crap.

Please just stop. Stop.
heh, there is nothing great about Hyundai or Kia reaction - EPA tested their cars and found them not displaying correct MPG, after which Hyundai/Kia had to restate their mpg's.

2 days ago they still had:

Brilliant engineering, weight-saving design and low-rolling resistance silica tires make Elantra more fuel-efficient than Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla. And every trim level of Elantra is rated at 40 MPG highway—that means you don’t have to pay more for an optional special version to get class-leading MPG.
things like that on their website :-).
Old 11-03-12, 11:38 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Umm, they should not be commended for anything. Last year, a Consumer Watchdog asked the EPA to investigate Hyundai's MPG claims after customers felt they weren't reaching their car's advertised MPG. (In this case, mmarshall's comment would be relevant) Hyundai was sued by the consumer watchdog on the backs of customer complaints.

Here is an excerpt of Hyundai's response:

Hyundai Motor America ("Hyundai") believes this case has no merit, as our advertising is accurate and in full compliance with applicable laws and regulations. In fact, we've reviewed our ads and think Consumer Watchdog and their client are dead wrong.

The EPA deemed Hyundai the most fuel efficient automaker in the U.S. for the model year 2010, the most recent year officially tracked by the agency. Hyundai is currently the only manufacturer with four models achieving 40 mpg EPA ratings on the highway, including the Elantra, the 2012 North American Car of the Year. Last year, Hyundai sold more 40 mpg highway vehicles than Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Ford and Chevrolet combined. Through May of 2012, our new car fleet averaged more than 37 mpg, about 50 percent higher than the U.S. average.
That was back in December. They still believed that their MPG were correct (either by orders from above or their engineers are really just that bad) and with a lot of class, said the clients are dead wrong. They even had the nerve to reinforce their mileage claims in the last paragraph, claiming to have sold more 40MPG cars than their competitors combined.

In other words, they would have kept on this charade for as long as they could... until they were caught red handed by the EPA. Not exactly something I would commend...
Old 11-04-12, 04:14 AM
Wallie3145
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
It could have been the tipping point for some people. I agree that the compensation is nothing compared to what Hyundai likely gained from the inflated numbers.
I replaced my 2002 RAV4 with a Soul because I wanted something more efficient but also a car with a just as high seating position. If they were honest about the numbers at the start, I wouldn't have bought the Soul. I would have kept the RAV4 and waited for the new one.
Old 11-04-12, 09:41 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Buy back....Demand that from Hyundai. Not a measly $88.

But as the saying goes : Good guys finish last.
Mazda offered to buy back the RX8 when they messed up their hp numbers. Look where they finished.
Old 11-04-12, 11:09 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Hyundai/Kia has a full page in today's Chicago Tribune (I'm guessing other papers too) with their apology and details of the debit card offer.
Old 11-05-12, 03:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm a little shocked that Consumer Reports Crap didn't figure this out.
Old 11-06-12, 12:48 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

A couple of things...

1) I don't think Hyundai deserves any kudos. They made a "mistake", denied it for a while, and are now being forced to come clean. The amount of sales they probably made with their 40 mpg claim pales in comparison to the money they will pay out in debit cards. Slick and sleezy.

2) First lawsuit was filed today in California. Get ready for more.

3) I think Ford will be next. None of their Ecoboost engines have garnered positive results during fuel mileage tests.

4) Poor Hyundai. Still can't shake some last bits and pieces of their old ways.
Old 11-06-12, 08:46 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
First lawsuit was filed today in California. Get ready for more.
$88 gift card?

This lady got thousands of dollars through Small Claims Court over a Honda Civic Hybrid's gas mileage:

Old 11-06-12, 09:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
i expect you to understand by now that EPA tests are not done in real world but in labs, under controlled conditions so they can be repeated 10 out of 10 times.

As such, when EPA tested these cars, they found that lab tests were up to 6 mpg too optimistic.

it has nothing to do with heavier foot or anything you wrote above. it has nothing to do with real life. it is lab test designed to be reproducible every single time.
Please just stop. Stop.
OK. I'll stop.........but not before I say this:

I never blamed it all on lead-footers. I only stated a fact; that lead-footed driving doesn't help. It is possible that the EPA estimates, in general, were a little high. But I usually have no problems getting, or even exceeding EPA Highway figures, though, in dense traffic, the city figures are another matter.....they're sometimes harder to achieve.

Now I'll stop.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-06-12 at 11:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Hyundai, Kia admit to overstating fuel economy