Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1sickreview- 2012 lexus is f

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-12, 06:45 PM
LexFather

Cool 1sickreview- 2012 lexus is f

Big thanks to Frank Mullin and the team at "Hennessy Lexus of Gwinnett" for the time with this IS F vehicle.

I've written quite a few times of my passion of the IS F and how Lexus had some serious ***** to produce such a vehicle when no other Asian brand offers anything close. To encroach on M/AMG etc territory? Perish the thought!!

Do you realize its been 5+ years since the first 2008 IS F models arrived? Its kind of hard to believe! Yes this vehicle has been around 5 years and it showed no signs of slowing up in 2012. Lexus has used their "Kaizen" philosophy to amazingly improve the IS F seemingly every year. 2010 was huge adding a true LSD and 2011 and then 2012 each added suspension improvements (with 2011 adding a central tach and updated instrument cluster). I honestly can't think of too many vehicles that have gotten the attention the IS F has gotten. This is not a case of buy a 2008 model b/c its about 1/2 the price of the now 65k asking price with options. It is a case of maybe trying to buy the latest and newest one possible since they drive better each year.

I've shared my experiences with the IS F and mostly it is with the 2008 model. The 2008 model while hugely entertaining and an amazing vehicle has been called harsh to drive on regular roads and lacking certain finesse in handling at the limits. I always thought it was fine seeing its a high performance sedan but after driving a 2012 model it was like driving a different car.

Seriously, that is how good the suspension changes are to me. This was a White/White model which gives the tight interior a bright look. The seats are the same, still snug and tight but I would like more adjustments like the new GS and would miss cooled seats. The center tach is really cool, its HUGE taking up the dash with the speed (MPH) posted in numbers for you to see. And the IS F still picks up speed fast, very fast and still sounds INCREDIBLE especially when the secondary intake kicks in. Times change though and for ME, what was amazingly fast in 2008 is no longer the same in 2012. Don't get me wrong the IS F is super fast and picks up speed with grace and a nice growl but it doesn't throw me in the back of the seat as a 500hp car (see black series review).

Ahhhhh, that 8 speed transmission. One of the firsts around and seems to be as reliable as anything built. Shifts fast and it gives a nice feeling of emotion compared to a DSG. Funny though, 5 years later and I still treat it like a 6 speed forgetting many times there are 8 speeds there. That is a lot of damn shifting . I had the same issue with the RX F-sport I just drove. What is confidence inspiring is this is one strong transmission.

To the meat and potatos. Sadly I did not track the 2012 IS F as I have the 2008 version but I pushed as hard as I could on familiar roads. Driving at low speeds it feels like a completely different car. You no longer feel every groove in the tires and every piece of gum on the road. It drives remarkably relaxed driving around town. Tight but not harsh anymore. Whats amazing is this car is not soft in any fashion, pushing it hard in corners past the limits it drives like a proper IS F and handles amazingly well. Steering feel is mostly accurate and you have a lot of confidence driving this vehicle and you get that nice grin! I was utterly amazed at how the Lexus engineers made the IS F now drive like a "Lexus" yet it handles even better (according to reviews, it clearly laps faster than the earlier models).

Inside the interior is still well done but it now does feel old as Lexus moves to the remote touch and huge higher screens. The black trim I much prefer the the earlier grey trim. It seats 4 not 5 and trunk more is fine for most. It does feel smaller than a lot of vehicles which adds to the feeling of intimacy. There is no getting around the mass of larger vehicles, no matter how good they drive.

The exterior has aged well to me. I still love those original tips (that now everyone copied, funny how they were bashed at first) the lovely side aero opening and now the LED lights (though now the lights lost the adaptive ability). Damn though, it is the "old" look of Lexus. Still good looking but lacks the new face.

As I've flirted with an older CPO or so IS F well its now hard to think about doing that after driving the new IS F, it is that damn good stock vs stock. Though I guess if you modify it, that doesn't matter. If you have no plans to modify an IS, I strongly suggest ponying up and buying the 2012 model.

Mike

Old 10-25-12, 08:03 PM
iggyhop9
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Mike, I don't know if you've driven a GS-F sport yet, but if you have, which one would you prefer between the IS-F(2012) and GS-F Sport? Great review, btw!
Old 10-25-12, 08:22 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by iggyhop9
Mike, I don't know if you've driven a GS-F sport yet, but if you have, which one would you prefer between the IS-F(2012) and GS-F Sport? Great review, btw!
Hey bud. Well the 2012 IS F changed my opinion some. Up until driving it, I felt the GS F-sport was the best driving Lexus (Sans LFA). Now I think they are both pretty damn close. I really wish the GS had that engine. Since that is not the case I do feel the GS F-sport is still the better driving car but the gap is smaller. The GS does drive smaller than it is and Lexus didn't really increase dimensions much so its actually one of the smaller vehicles in class.

I've driven the F-sport and Vossen modified GS and in sport mode they are utterly responsive and handle superb. The GS doesn't much much if any larger than the IS F in driving feel but the way the dash is layed out compared to the IS F makes it feel like the larger vehicle. There is no getting around that the GS Feels "newer" in feel, the IS feels older and more brutal with its V-8.

Hope that helps.

Old 10-25-12, 08:35 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

great review mike. Were the tweaks to the suspension made because the car was a bit choppy and firm?? I have read several reviews that said the ISF had a very firm set up.
Old 10-25-12, 08:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Thanks, Mike. Good review. I'm a little behind on my own reviews....still waiting for a couple of the 2013 models in my area.

I remember how enamored you were with the old IS-F's powertrain (416 HP, if my memory is correct). The only fly in the ointment I saw on my test-drive of a 2008 was that the power delivery didn't seem linear...the fuel injection and valve-timing felt flat at lower engine speeds, went through a transformation from 3600-4000 RPM, and then took off like a rocket, pushing you well-back in the seat. The suspension was OK on a perfectly smooth road, but on anything else, felt like the suspension parts were welded together (and Lexus was criticized for that, even by the sporting auto-press).

I'm glad to see that, from your report, they have done some suspension changes since then to make the car a little more civil over bumps. The rear suspension on the one I test-drove in 2008 actually tossed the rear end up in the air and slightly sideways over some sharp bumps and highway expansion joints, even with the proper tire PSI.

Lexus had some serious ***** to produce such a vehicle when no other Asian brand offers anything close
As far as the power-level goes, I agree. Kia or Hyundai did not have a true sporting mid-size car (and, of course they were in a much lower price-range). Infiniti had the G-series and Acura the TL Type S, but neither one could compete with the IS-F power-wise, though both of them rode noticeably better over sharp bumps. The Type S also, of course, had FWD, which is not the ideal set-up for a true classic sport-sedan.
Old 10-25-12, 09:43 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Hey bud. Well the 2012 IS F changed my opinion some. Up until driving it, I felt the GS F-sport was the best driving Lexus (Sans LFA). Now I think they are both pretty damn close. I really wish the GS had that engine. Since that is not the case I do feel the GS F-sport is still the better driving car but the gap is smaller. The GS does drive smaller than it is and Lexus didn't really increase dimensions much so its actually one of the smaller vehicles in class.

I've driven the F-sport and Vossen modified GS and in sport mode they are utterly responsive and handle superb. The GS doesn't much much if any larger than the IS F in driving feel but the way the dash is layed out compared to the IS F makes it feel like the larger vehicle. There is no getting around that the GS Feels "newer" in feel, the IS feels older and more brutal with its V-8.

Hope that helps.
Excellent review! I really enjoyed hearing your impressions on the continuing improvements leading up to the 2012 IS F.

As for the distinctions between the GS F Sport and the IS F, I couldn't agree more: GS has great handling, awesome interior and all the latest features, plus it's a better size for most of us (at least those of us with kids). ON the other hand the IS F has that engine! It just simply makes the GS feel underpowered and it's hard to go back to the V6 after sampling the V8.

This is why Lexus MUST make the GS F!!!

If you want to read more about ISF vs GS F Sport, I actually drove them back to back not long ago: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...eek-lexus.html

There's also this question, "2013 IS F: Does it make sense to buy/lease a car near the end of its model run?" https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...model-run.html

Last edited by NewSpace; 10-25-12 at 10:14 PM.
Old 10-25-12, 10:54 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice review Mike/1SICK =)

With that said, I felt that the IS-F (being the very first Lexus "F" vehicle) immediately went for the big guns. I mean, when it first came out in 2008, Lexus knew that they wanted to set their sights on its equivalent competitors (particularly the E90 BMW M3).

And the spec sheets show: ISF has more power and torque over a BMW M3 (E90).

Hence, because of that, there is a now an expectation (especially by the enthusiast community) that future Lexus 'F' vehicles should exceed (OR at the very least 'meet') with whatever the competition has or will provide.

So if the likes of AMG, BMW M and Audi Quattro GMBH bring out a pistol, people expect Lexus to do the same at the very least............or better yet, a massive gattling gun

Too much insanity is going on here

P.S.
I wonder if future 'F' vehicles will make it into our shores (like in the Philippines).............though I think it's a question not of 'if' but of 'when'
Old 10-25-12, 11:35 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
great review mike. Were the tweaks to the suspension made because the car was a bit choppy and firm?? I have read several reviews that said the ISF had a very firm set up.
yes.........
Old 10-26-12, 12:27 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Nice review Mike.

I've found the GS350 F-Sport more toss-able and less nose heavy than the IS-F for obvious reason, but the GS begs for a V8. Just look at the space inside the engine bay . That said, I'd personally swing for the IS-F because of it's size fits my needs better, but wouldn't count out the GS350 which as you noted has the better seats (love the adjustable side bolster), and better tech than the 12 model though 13 IS's now have 4GS navi so it's moot.
Old 10-26-12, 09:41 AM
iggyhop9
Pit Crew

Hope that helps.
That's exactly how I thought it would feel. I've driven neither trim of both cars. I had a 2013 GS350 Premium for a few days as a rental and a 2012 IS250 as a rental. Even in the normal GS350, the steering as so tight and responsive. Very refreshing coming from my Camry. The IS250 was really tight, but in a good way. Felt more connected than I'm used to. Anyhow, I'm in the market for a new car and I love the interior and size of the GS, but the V6 doesn't do it for me. I'm also scared that if I test drive an IS-F, that I'll hear that joyous V8, I won't want to go back to the V6, even though the IS-F has the "old" Lexus design, both int and ext. Boy how I wish they would just marry the IS-F powertain with the GS!
I fear the only thing that will help is a GS-F or new IS-F, whichever comes first....but the wait is killing me.
Old 10-26-12, 10:30 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Thanks. Yes before it was harsher, now it is much more refined.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks, Mike. Good review. I'm a little behind on my own reviews....still waiting for a couple of the 2013 models in my area

As far as the power-level goes, I agree. Kia or Hyundai did not have a true sporting mid-size car (and, of course they were in a much lower price-range). Infiniti had the G-series and Acura the TL Type S, but neither one could compete with the IS-F power-wise, though both of them rode noticeably better over sharp bumps. The Type S also, of course, had FWD, which is not the ideal set-up for a true classic sport-sedan.
Not even sure why you brought those cars up. The IS 350 is faster for crying out loud and they are nothing like an IS F.

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Nice review Mike/1SICK =)

With that said, I felt that the IS-F (being the very first Lexus "F" vehicle) immediately went for the big guns. I mean, when it first came out in 2008, Lexus knew that they wanted to set their sights on its equivalent competitors (particularly the E90 BMW M3).

And the spec sheets show: ISF has more power and torque over a BMW M3 (E90).

Hence, because of that, there is a now an expectation (especially by the enthusiast community) that future Lexus 'F' vehicles should exceed (OR at the very least 'meet') with whatever the competition has or will provide.

So if the likes of AMG, BMW M and Audi Quattro GMBH bring out a pistol, people expect Lexus to do the same at the very least............or better yet, a massive gattling gun

Too much insanity is going on here

P.S.
I wonder if future 'F' vehicles will make it into our shores (like in the Philippines).............though I think it's a question not of 'if' but of 'when'
Great post. Lexus is going to have to add some more/new engines. The Germans are using new engines and Forced Induction like crazy. If the next IS F does get 461hp that is a significant bump but short of the insane 500hp everyone wants to see.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Nice review Mike.

I've found the GS350 F-Sport more toss-able and less nose heavy than the IS-F for obvious reason, but the GS begs for a V8. Just look at the space inside the engine bay . That said, I'd personally swing for the IS-F because of it's size fits my needs better, but wouldn't count out the GS350 which as you noted has the better seats (love the adjustable side bolster), and better tech than the 12 model though 13 IS's now have 4GS navi so it's moot.
Thanks bro. Can't go wrong with either, tough choice. With the 3GS and IS F it was not a close decision at all!

Originally Posted by iggyhop9
That's exactly how I thought it would feel. I've driven neither trim of both cars. I had a 2013 GS350 Premium for a few days as a rental and a 2012 IS250 as a rental. Even in the normal GS350, the steering as so tight and responsive. Very refreshing coming from my Camry. The IS250 was really tight, but in a good way. Felt more connected than I'm used to. Anyhow, I'm in the market for a new car and I love the interior and size of the GS, but the V6 doesn't do it for me. I'm also scared that if I test drive an IS-F, that I'll hear that joyous V8, I won't want to go back to the V6, even though the IS-F has the "old" Lexus design, both int and ext. Boy how I wish they would just marry the IS-F powertain with the GS!
I fear the only thing that will help is a GS-F or new IS-F, whichever comes first....but the wait is killing me.
Totally agree. Myself and others have been very critical of Lexus dropping the V-8 GS and even the 342hp GS 460 when the LS had 380hp. Their decisions are mind boggling with V-8s right now with no method to the madness. I am quite unsure why they won't just drop the 5.0 V-8 in the LS F-sport and maybe GS F-sport. It is a BRILLIANT motor and its in two cars

IS F
LS 600h L which is literally 120 grand

Its not like Lexus is dropping V-8s b/c the GX has a 4.6 and LX has a 5.7 and LS has a 4.6 and the 5.0 we just discussed.

Old 10-26-12, 11:41 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

I think Lexus is reading the handwriting on the walls and is making a well considered VOLUNTARY decision long before national pollution/emissions/fuel efficiency regulations and market forces tips their hand.

Lexus/Toyota has recognized the fact that mainstream V8 sedans are going the way of the dinosaur. Except for full-size limousines like LS/7 series/A8/XJ/S-class and performance sub-brands like AMG,M,F and RS, there is increasingly little business case to be made for a mainstream V8, not when force induction and hybrid power can make current 4/6 cylinders outperform V8s of just 2-3 years ago and at a fraction of the fuel consumption. Mainstream V8s are not even desirable from a handling standpoint since they add weight and nose-heaviness to a car's cornering behavior. ( I'm not talking about bespoke and heavily modified lightweight V8s found in performance sport-cars or super-sedans.)

V8s are useful for the pleasing sounds they make and for crazy horsepower that 99.99% of road-users will never appreciate. A V8 is an enthusiast-only choice in current market conditions and with the current technological advancements in sub-V8 engines. And how big is the enthusiast market in comparison to the mass market ?(rhetorical question).

To replace mainstream V8s, I see the Germans going the way of forced induction and diesels while Lexus is going the way of hybrids and maybe supercharging.

Make no mistake, V8s will be alive and well in the near future but probably only in an F/M/AMG car and the luxury marques will charge a hefty premium for consumers to own them so as to be able to turn a viable profit for such low volume engines.

Last edited by natnut; 10-26-12 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-26-12, 12:26 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by natnut
I think Lexus is reading the handwriting on the walls and is making a well considered VOLUNTARY decision long before national pollution/emissions/fuel efficiency regulations and market forces tips their hand.

Lexus/Toyota has recognized the fact that mainstream V8 sedans are going the way of the dinosaur. Except for full-size limousines like LS/7 series/A8/XJ/S-class and performance sub-brands like AMG,M,F and RS, there is increasingly little business case to be made for a mainstream V8, not when force induction and hybrid power can make current 4/6 cylinders outperform V8s of just 2-3 years ago and at a fraction of the fuel consumption. Mainstream V8s are not even desirable from a handling standpoint since they add weight and nose-heaviness to a car's cornering behavior. ( I'm not talking about bespoke and heavily modified lightweight V8s found in performance sport-cars or super-sedans.)

V8s are useful for the pleasing sounds they make and for crazy horsepower that 99.99% of road-users will never appreciate. A V8 is an enthusiast-only choice in current market conditions and with the current technological advancements in sub-V8 engines. And how big is the enthusiast market in comparison to the mass market ?(rhetorical question).

To replace mainstream V8s, I see the Germans going the way of forced induction and diesels while Lexus is going the way of hybrids and maybe supercharging.

Make no mistake, V8s will be alive and well in the near future but probably only in an F/M/AMG car and the luxury marques will charge a hefty premium for consumers to own them so as to be able to turn a viable profit for such low volume engines.
The thing is the chassis of the FRS and GS (and even LFA to some extent) is begging for MORE POWER JIM!!! The IS F is a highly modified car to make it all work and you can tell the difference compared to the GS which clearly was engineered to offer best in class handling out the box. These new vehicles are so good they simply could use a higher power engine to truly make them mind blowing.

I understand in most cases most won't drive like that, its worse for MPG and they won't sell as much. I get that. I also get there are a small core group of nuts that need to be pleased as those people can drive a brand.

Heck it doesn't even need to be a V-8 I guess cause the GT-R makes like 550hp from a turbo V-6

Old 10-26-12, 01:03 PM
iggyhop9
Pit Crew

The thing is the chassis of the FRS and GS (and even LFA to some extent) is begging for MORE POWER JIM!!! The IS F is a highly modified car to make it all work and you can tell the difference compared to the GS which clearly was engineered to offer best in class handling out the box. These new vehicles are so good they simply could use a higher power engine to truly make them mind blowing.

I understand in most cases most won't drive like that, its worse for MPG and they won't sell as much. I get that. I also get there are a small core group of nuts that need to be pleased as those people can drive a brand.

Heck it doesn't even need to be a V-8 I guess cause the GT-R makes like 550hp from a turbo V-6
That brings up another great point. It's even more mind boggling as to why they don't just drop that 5.0 in the GS because that is literally all they have to do...drop it in. The IS-F required far more extensive modifcations than a normal IS. It's longer by three or four inches I believe, and all of that going to the engine bay. It's wider, chassis is tuned for it, etc. And even with that, the price difference between the IS350 and IS-F is 21K. With the GS, that chassis is perfect as is. Nothing really needs to be stretched or distorted to put that V8 in there. This is also also why I believe a GS-F would be such a good sell, even if it comes in a 461 HP. It would be like having a GS F-Sport, which starts at 52,XXX if I'm not mistaken, and dropping the proper powertrain in it, which I can't think would cost more than 28K and thats being generous if I'm being honest. They may have to mark it up a bit to create some distance between the GS450h, but 80K seems like a sweet spot.
Old 10-26-12, 01:07 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've never driven the ISF but have sat in one several times. I barely fit but it's roomy just enough to imagine myself having one.
Now that Lexus has conquered luxury sport suspensions and given in to making coupes, the next ISF will surely be one of the most desirable cars on the planet.

I CAN NOT WAIT!

Quick Reply: 1sickreview- 2012 lexus is f